A buddy of mine wants to get started on electric and he has about £300 to spend - which I guess equates to around $500 after the UK up-charge.
I was recommending a Yammie Pacifica 112V (new one with coil split) with a Roland Cube or an Epi Valve Jr. (He's not convinced on the whole valve thing, .)

Thought I'd see what UG comes up with. Cheers.

EDIT: He tends to like acoustic/indie so he'll be staying on clean most of the time with the odd foray into Led Zep type stuff.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Mar 10, 2008,
what kind of music
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
id say a roland would be good, modeling amps are always hits with beginners.
dont get the yamaha though

15 watt roland-100$
MIM strat/tele/les paul/sg-400$
great beginner rig

500$ total
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
i'd probably get a pacifica 112 (some of the cheaper lags are quite nice too) and one of the lower wattage valve amps. assuming he doesn't play too heavy stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tell him to save up a little more.
That much money won't get you anything that great.
He'll probably just end up buying a ****ty guitar and tiny amp, getting bored of it because of the low quality, and give up.
SAVE UP.
Tell him to save up at least a grand, and gey him to go out and try out guitars, and let him find out for himself what he likes.
Just learn some chords or a couple intros to some songs, and play them on each guitar.
Then just go and get a cheap, but decent tube amp.
Quote by georgethepie
Get him a mg and tell him next year he should had listened?

Only if you're confident he won't kill himself beforehand.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by georgethepie
Get him a mg and tell him next year he should had listened?

Ha nice.

I'm not sure he can stretch to a MIM. I get the impression £300 is the most he wants to spend. Though I agree it would certainly be worth adding another £100 to the budget.
I recommended the Pacifica because it tends to get favourable reviews and I've always thought them decent guitars for the price.
Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Ashtor
Tell him to save up a little more.
That much money won't get you anything that great.
He'll probably just end up buying a ****ty guitar and tiny amp, getting bored of it because of the low quality, and give up.
SAVE UP.
Tell him to save up at least a grand, and gey him to go out and try out guitars, and let him find out for himself what he likes.
Just learn some chords or a couple intros to some songs, and play them on each guitar.
Then just go and get a cheap, but decent tube amp.

Do you think a beginnner would dump £1000 into a new hobby? What if he doesn't like it!?

Anyway, I would recommend Yamaha Pacifica 112J as recommend above and a Vox AD15VT. It's a decent starter guitar with decent wood so you can always upgrade it (tuners, pickups, pots, whatever) and the amp is versatile and easy to use for a beginner.
well if he only wants to spend 300 the pacifica will suit him fine. and a good roland will do the trick for practicing. plus he'll have some left over for cables, picks, books, tuner, strings, strap, whatever

maybe epi g-400? im rusty on my pounds to dollar conversion?

yah, im pretty sure your first recommendation, or an ad15vt instead of the roland will do great
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by Mwoit
Anyway, I would recommend Yamaha Pacifica 112J as recommend above and a Vox AD15VT. It's a decent starter guitar with decent wood so you can always upgrade it (tuners, pickups, pots, whatever) and the amp is versatile and easy to use for a beginner.

yeah, that's probably better than a valve amp to be honest. unless you're sure you only play one style, a modeller is probably better for starting out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He's going to the small local guitar shop tomorrow to try out some stuff (I think I might tag along ) - they seem to stock a fair amount of that sort of thing.

Thanks folks.
Hot Rod Deluxe
Tell him not get a cube if hes only going to be playing clean. It's not bad but that amp is geared more towards metal (and it's damn good for it). After a year my ears could not handle the cleans on my cube and it was one of the main reasons i went for the blues deluxe.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
My PRS SE cost £180 s/h, so I reckon another 120 quid on an amp would get you a half decent starter rig.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
to be fair any amps sounds alright to a nooby its not until like a year after playing i really started to discover a decent tone i just focused on technique, however each to their own. I had a ****ty squier 10 watt amp it was awful but it done me justice trying to make it sound good haha.

also if you want pounds to do dollars, just half the dollar and you get a pound

not sure on the cube, i dont know much about them.. seems lots of people have them as starter amps, so why not ! as long as its not too complex
id say go with a mim strat or tele, both of which are $400. since you say he plays mostly clean stuff, i would suggest single coils because imo they sound better clean than humbuckers do. he should at least spend that much on his first guitar, as it will have nice playability and he will be able to play it for quite some time before needing something better.

for a beginner, i wouldn't suggest spending the cash for a tube amp. just get a small ss combo, like 30 watts or so, with a few models/channels. this will allow your friend to experiment a little bit and discover what sounds they enjoy. then, in the future, he can upgrade to a tube amp if he still enjoys guitar.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
go pre-owned you can get a decent guitar for under £200 preowned.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
i agree; the only problem is, unless you buy second-hand from a shop (which is a possibility, just it's not as good value), it might need a setup, and if you're new, you won't know how to do that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got my first guitar, epiphone, I wished i saved up more money and got a gibson.

I suggest just wait a little longer, it's better than spending money now and being sorry later...
Quote by Mwoit
Do you think a beginnner would dump £1000 into a new hobby? What if he doesn't like it!?

sure. why the hell not?
if your not determined, then chances are you'll give up anyways.
at least this takes commitment. if you save that much money, and still want to buy a guitar, then you'll know that this is something you will like to do.
if not, just go buy some pot, or whatever the **** else it is you can go waist your money on.
A DECENT acoustic, or if he really wants an electric, then epi lp std / epi sg 400 / mim fender with a roland 15w or vox ad15vt
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Erm. I'd tell him to go out and play some guitars. There's no telling what he's really going to like. A little part of me dies every time someone roboticaly recomends a mim strat/epi/yahama - b/c if it's not right it could really put them off all together - when really it's just the shape.

Amp-wise, I think the microcube fits the bill just because it can do so much. Again tubes aren't essentially to someone starting out - I don't see how anyone could be anal about tone when they're stuttering with stairway to heaven.
If I were starting out, I'd go to my local guitar shop and snap up a no name strat copy made by some tokai employees in their spare time. awesome they are. then I'd spend the other 200 on amp and effects. Personally I'd go the EVJ route with a few effects. But that's knowing what I know now and having the same tastes.

for other people I'd go with the tried and tested pacifica +vox
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
something like a valve jr and a second hand mexican strat probably
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube