i was wondering if it were at all possible to turn a bolt on neck into a set neck. i was thinking of doing this to an epiphone les paul junior and wasn't sure if this would work. any suggestions?
The pocket probably won't be large enough, and there's no real advantage to it either.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
ive got an epi lp junior too, modded the crap out of it. turned out decent. and no, not worth doing, too much work for almost nothing.
Yeah, you'd need to make a deeper neck pocket and larger block on the neck, and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference because of the horrible wood the guitar is made of.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
The neck pocket set up on a set neck and bolt neck are completely different. And the return on the effort would be minimal.
Quote by ohspyro89
It has been said that bolt on actually has the most sustain, in study. So you may be fine with it how it is!

Otherwise, it would need to be routed more, and the neck would have to have a block glued on or something....it's just too much work for nothing.

What?

Link please?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I doubt theres any actual study, just opinions
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
Yeah, I've heard of that study before. It said bolt-ons have most sustain, then set necks, then neck-through. But the difference was not discernable by human senses. I'd like to actually see that study for once rather than hear it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
what? im pretty sure its the other way around.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
^ +1
I figure the more the wood resonates with itself naturally (neck thru) without any interference (set neck), it'll have better sustain.

am I wrong?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
^ +1
I figure the more the wood resonates with itself naturally (neck thru) without any interference (set neck), it'll have better sustain.

am I wrong?

Well, that's what everyone figures.. but at one point, people thought the world was flat, so what do we know?

quick edit: there is interference with set necks and neckthrus, it's the glue.
Perhaps that's why? Maybe the bolts actually help transfer vibrations.. but this is all speculation.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

well even if it is that way, i still prefer the feel of a neck through or set neck to a bolt on.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by ohspyro89

I'm VERY skeptical about this one.

... The study was based on only a small population of instruments...

... The study also included listening evaluations of recordings of single notes. Subjects could not detect differences in sustain among neck through, set neck and bolt-on neck configurations. ...

The "study" this site is referring to?

1. Mottola, R.M. “Sustain and Electric Guitar Neck Joint Type”
American Lutherie #91, 2007, p. 52.

Do you suppose it might be the same guy?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i dont believe it until i see some data or something. more info on it.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Pics or it didn't happen.... "wait this isn't the pit" .... Data or it didn't happen!!!

As for this, I have a bolt on LP that sustains massivly, but that may also be because of the heavy strings I use "just an assumption that It might effect it" but, my buddy has a LP with a set neck.... that thing can hold a note longer then mine, but His is also a real gibson, not an EPI

See the problem with the study is, they don't list the instruments "they could be comparing a Gibson bolt on, to an ibanez setneck." Which of course is going to effect the numbers a lot. Due to the type of wood used, and the amount of it.
Quote by ohspyro89

I wouldn't trust the article, it doesn't seem to back anything up, besides the fact that if there is a difference in sustain between neck through, set neck, and bolt on, its very minimal. In this case I would have to agree. I can tell you what can kill your sustain: Having a POS trem.
The quality of the joint is going to have to do more with sustain than the type of joint.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by ohspyro89

folks can't hear the difference in sustain based on neck joint type anyway.

I'll agree with that.

The advantage of a set neck is that you can't cheat, and have a poor fit. Bad bolt-ons will have less sustain; but the difference is minimal (negligible?) if it's a solid, tight fit.
well i figured as much but i did come across something in a different thread on a different web site and it kind of intrigued me. someone said they thought it was funny how people consider bolt on necks to be the absolute standard for any fender product but are complete crap for anything else especially in the gibson/epiphone vain. i did find that to be an amusing thought and wondered what you guys thought. i'm not sure how i feel on that.
Quote by migs_migeezie
well i figured as much but i did come across something in a different thread on a different web site and it kind of intrigued me. someone said they thought it was funny how people consider bolt on necks to be the absolute standard for any fender product but are complete crap for anything else especially in the gibson/epiphone vain. i did find that to be an amusing thought and wondered what you guys thought. i'm not sure how i feel on that.

There are a good amount of high-end guitars with bolt on necks. Like the JEM/RGs and Vigier guitars. But you also have to keep in mind consider, Fender isn't really a high-end guitar manufacturer.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
There are a good amount of high-end guitars with bolt on necks. Like the JEM/RGs and Vigier guitars. But you also have to keep in mind consider, Fender isn't really a high-end guitar manufacturer.

maybe but in my opinion any manufacturere who charges a grand or more for some guitars has to have a bit of high end in their blood. or maybe i'm just a cheap a$$ ha ha
Well, bolt on does have it's perks. Necks are easily interchangable so if one breaks when you drop it on stage.. you only have to get a new neck instead of a new guitar. This has happend a few times to a certain Mr. Vai, I believe.
And a good AANJ like on his guitar means you get pretty good upper fret access.
Better than most set-necks and almost as good as neck-thrus.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I've done the bolt on set neck tests myself. To get any worthwile test you have to use the same guitar. You also have to be sure the humidity and temp are the same when you test both set and bot on necks. What I did was build a guitar with a neck and neck pocket like a set neckand then I bolted it on instead of gluing it. I recorded several plucked notes then ran them through a limiter and noise gate so I could measure the decay of the note. Then I took the bolts out and glued the neck on with titebond. I kept the guitar in my temp and humidity controlled workshop for a couple days and then recorded the same plucked notes again.

The bolt on neck sustained measurably longer.

The reason bolt on necks sustain longer is because titebond is slightly spongy and energy is lost between the neck and guitar body. If you use a harder glues like hot hide glue that you mix yourself (not to be mistaken with the over the counter liquid crap) then you will have a much smaller difference.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 12, 2008,
That makes sense. Approximately how much longer did the bolt-on neck sustain? A few seconds, less or more?

Altough I bet people will now complain that the bolt holes will have affected the sustain and that's the reason why your set neck had less sustain
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

^It changed depending on the note that was played. With the noise gate set so it stopped recording when I couldn't hear it any more, it was always significantly less than a second but when I turned the noise gate off and just watched the wave form untill it died down the line noise, it ended up being a 3 or 4 seconds longer on some notes. I didn't keep exact measurements because I was just doing the experimenting so I could know what neck joints I wanted to use on my guitars. I wasn't doing it for science.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 12, 2008,
Too bad, you could've been the first person on earth who conducted a credible study on guitar sustain!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

^ ^ would it also be arguable to it being a different type of neck joint? maybe i am misreading it but you set up the guitar in a set neck type joint and bolted it then did a study and then you took the bolts out and glued it in and did a study. a traditional bolt on neck joint is much different than a set neckcorrect? wouldn't that have an affect on it as well? just curious
^if the neck joint reached under the pickup then that would have changed things, but my neck joint didn't go under the neck pickup so it's not going to have changed anything.
I love how the discussion has completely blindsided this poor guy's question...

any answers?

I'd say it's all preference!
------

Shwiggity.