I'm now getting rather annoyed with my Elixers on my Ibanez. They're 0.9 gauge (which I know is sold as 'super-light'), and I am really having trouble with fast alternate picking on the high strings (I'm learning shred techniques at the moment, so this problem only recently arose, I largely stuck to riffing and classic rock solos before).

My question essentially is, will heavier gauage strings (say .11's?) greatly increase the string tension, making alternate picking easier for a heavy-handed picker like me?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
well, the .11's will make the strings thicker and therefore, have more tension, but they'll be a lot harder to bend. so just go with what feels good for you
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Before you go and chnage your string gauge. maybe try a different pick thickness.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Comprimise with 10's

I use em and love em. 9's are too slim but I have chunkier fingers than most. 11's on my LP.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Footzyrama
Before you go and chnage your string gauge. maybe try a different pick thickness.

I'm using JD Jazz III's now. I was using any combination of .88mm and 1mm pciks, so I don't think that's the problem, but thanks anyway.

And to everybody else, thanks for the advice. I'll try and find a guitar with 11's on them and see how they feel.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X