Is it possible to wire to 8 ohm speakers for a total load of 8 ohms using series parallel wiring? I can't find any info anywhere.
Quote by SVStee
Is it possible to wire to 8 ohm speakers for a total load of 8 ohms using series parallel wiring? I can't find any info anywhere.
Yes. It takes 4 speakers to do that.

Put pairs in series with each other. 8 ohms x 2 = 16 ohms.
Put the two pairs in parallel. 16 ohms / 2 = 8 ohms.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Since you know what you're talking about, lemme ask you another question. If I have two 16-Ohm speakers, if I put them in a 2x12 stereo cabinet, by definition, this would then be a 16-Ohm cab, yes? Also, is the power handling spec summed (say, 60-Watt speakers) in parallel or in series?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 10, 2008,
Well, even I can anwser that. if you wire them in series (speaker1 positive to speaker two negetive) you would have a 32 ohm cab. If you wired them in paralell it would be 8 ohms.
Quote by SVStee
Well, even I can anwser that. if you wire them in series (speaker1 positive to speaker two negetive) you would have a 32 ohm cab. If you wired them in paralell it would be 8 ohms.
Right, but if I wire them in parallel, can it still act as an 8-Ohm stereo cab? Meaning, feeding it with two 8-Ohm outputs. Wouldn't it only act as an 8-Ohm mono cab in parallel?
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by LEVEL4
Right, but if I wire them in parallel, can it still act as an 8-Ohm stereo cab? Meaning, feeding it with two 8-Ohm outputs. Wouldn't it only act as an 8-Ohm mono cab in parallel?
No. If you wire them in parallel, you shouldn't feed them with two outputs. The outputs will "fight" each other. Bad shiznit in the future of those outputs!

Even though the speakers are in the same cabinet, you can treat them as individuals, if you aren't putting them in parallel or series. Just keep the wiring separate.

The power ratings and impedances will still be equal to the value of each speaker.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks. So, to put speakers into a 2x12 stereo MC212 cab, and to be able to use it as a stereo cab, I need to wire two ?-Ohm speakers in what manner, to achieve an 8-Ohm cab?