Ok so I'm trying to decide on a new amp. Its down to either a fender hot rod deluxe or a marshall jcm 2000 dsl 401. I mainly play hard rock, some classic rock and a little bit of metal. Both amps cost around the same and have the same output, I just want your general opinion.

Thanks
what's your budget? and what country are you in? what's your guitar? are you gigging?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My budget is about €800. I live in Ireland. I play a fender strat and Paul reed smith se custom. not gigging right now
Marshall over the Fender for what you're playing, but I'd suggest a Traynor over either of them. Fender cleans and Marshall crunch all in the same package with the YCV 50 Blue.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I had this choice, I got the hot rod. The cleans are godly, but the gain is so so, its not that much and the more gain stage can get muddy.
Very different amps!

The Marshall is more to your style though.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by slatsmania
Marshall over the Fender for what you're playing, but I'd suggest a Traynor over either of them. Fender cleans and Marshall crunch all in the same package with the YCV 50 Blue.

yeah probably, but those are very expensive here...

it might be worth looking into something like a cornford harlequin. i haven't tried it, but the other cornfords i've tried have been nice. they're around the £600 mark.

though if you think you ever will gig, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The hot rod's gain isn't too great, and I've always enjoyed the thick marshall clean sound. If you want some drive, though, definitely go with the Marshall.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
For what you want it for the Marshall would be better.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Ive been looking at differant sites. Has anyone used a hughes and kettner switchblade? They have the kind of sound I'm looking for and built in effects, but I've never even seen one.
Quote by Gabel
This:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374

With this:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-1936/293

And then you have a perfect setup for what you play my friend

There we have Gabe stealing everyone else's share of 'win' as usual...
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Danmcp90
Ive been looking at differant sites. Has anyone used a hughes and kettner switchblade? They have the kind of sound I'm looking for and built in effects, but I've never even seen one.

i didn't really like the one i tried. it was at pretty low volumes, but i thought it sounded kinda solid state. obviously personal preference though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I would have to agree on that. I found it to have a very "lifeless" tone, like it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. It was just like mediocre.

Quote by PendulousThread
There we have Gabe stealing everyone else's share of 'win' as usual...

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ yeah, i mean it wasn't terrible, but for the price (like £1000), it, er, kinda was.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with a Marshall, or maybe a Ceriatone clone to save some $$$.

Debating Marshall VS. Fender is apples and oranges though.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Well I've very recently developed chronic GAS for the GH50L and after hours of nerding I have to say you just flat out cannot go wrong with it.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i mean it wasn't terrible, but for the price (like £1000), it, er, kinda was.

Yeah I agree. Plus since it's like semi-digital I expected it to have good versatility, which it did not. The classic tones were not only bad, but like really bad. Like if you got that for classic rock, you've made a horrible choice. And it did have the gain for heavier stuff, it lacked any real bottom end or punch. And it didn't have any character either.

Sure it's not like the worst amp ever, but for the price you can get something TONS better. And if you want the versatility that the Switchblade was going to have, then the Spider Valve is a good choice.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ agreed. ( i wasn't amazed by the spider either, but it is half the price of the switchblade)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i own both amps, their obviously voiced differently but when using od pedals i can get great rock tones out of both. The only draw back with the hrd is the volume pot is logarithmoc as oppossed to linear which means at 2 its mega loud and after 5ish there isnt any real increase. Also try a peavey classic, another great amp in your price range
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ agreed. ( i wasn't amazed by the spider either, but it is half the price of the switchblade)

Spider Valve or?

I fund it prett good, it impressed me, since my expectations were low.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Spider Valve or?

You have to sit down with it for a LONG time. And READ the manual. And ignore the presets. Thats how you get amazing sounds (esp. for the price) out of it
^I agree. I spent a lot of time with it, then you can get some great tones out of it. Some presets were good, but some were too gain-y. But you can get some awesome tones out of it.

I have tried the amp two times and found it good the second time too.

Also the Spider Valve does take home the price for best innovation (guitarwise) of '07/08. It's not the best tube amp there is, but it does deliver a solid performance (like some models are VERY GOOD) and for me, if I had ot use it and nothing else, I could do so. But most of all it's a step in the right direction. Making a digital tube amp. It's for an example superior to the Switchblade. But it has also opened the way for future amps in this fashion. I think that making digital tube amps are the way to go. Soon the digital techonology will be close to perfect and the only thing missing will be that kind of "tube sound". But if you ahve tubes, you really have it all covered.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Spider Valve or?

yeah, the spider valve. i thought the lower gain tones were pretty decent, but it had way too much gain even on some of the alleged lower gain models, and the high gain tones weren't great, i thought.

though that was at pretty low volumes, and I didn't mess with it much. it certainly wasn't terrible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gabel
^I agree. I spent a lot of time with it, then you can get some great tones out of it. Some presets were good, but some were too gain-y. But you can get some awesome tones out of it.

I have tried the amp two times and found it good the second time too.

Also the Spider Valve does take home the price for best innovation (guitarwise) of '07/08. It's not the best tube amp there is, but it does deliver a solid performance (like some models are VERY GOOD) and for me, if I had ot use it and nothing else, I could do so. But most of all it's a step in the right direction. Making a digital tube amp. It's for an example superior to the Switchblade. But it has also opened the way for future amps in this fashion. I think that making digital tube amps are the way to go. Soon the digital techonology will be close to perfect and the only thing missing will be that kind of "tube sound". But if you ahve tubes, you really have it all covered.

You can in theory, perfectly emulate tube sound and responsiveness in modelers. It would just take a ridiculous amount of time and energy and money and skill to produce that kind of programming. It might be done someday, who knows.
I say Marshall. I have the DSL401 and contrary to what many bandwagon hoppers say it sounds superb. Make sure you crank it like tube amps are supposed to be To give you an idea of what I play it's from AC/DC to Guns N' Roses to Metallica.