hi all, 1st post on here. i'm needing help. ive got a aria pro II LP copy and i want a better sound from it so 1st port of call...

....strings. so can any one reconmend some to help make my axe sing???
Attachments:
P3010221.JPG
Ernie ball, DR, and GHS are liked pretty well around here. I personally like ernie balls, but any of those 3 are good. D'addarios are kind of meh. Also, don't use fender strings. they have bullet-ends.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 10, 2008,
i like D'Addario's the best, i use EXL140, 10's and 52's, i like my huge top string
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by oneblackened
Ernie ball, DR, and GHS are liked pretty well around here. I personally like ernie balls, but any of those 3 are good. D'addarios are kind of meh.

Wrong.

Opinion stated as fact.

Fail.

Also, I use D'Addario's; Heavy bottom/Light top.
No probs with d'addario 11's here.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
I use Ernie Ball 11-49 and D'Addario 11-52 and i like both brands. I haven't actually tried any other strings :-)
Since everyone seems to hate me for saying d'addarios are meh, I'm going to rephrase that. I think D'addarios are kind of meh. happy?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I use three different brands of strings for my guitar. The Dunlop Zakk Wyldes 10-46 on my KKV, DR Hi beams 11-50 on Jacksons, GHS Boomers Zakk Wylde 10-60 on Ibanez. i perfer the boomers because they are great in lower tunings.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by oneblackened
Ernie ball, DR, and GHS are liked pretty well around here. I personally like ernie balls, but any of those 3 are good. D'addarios are kind of meh.

Quote by Y00p

Wrong.

Opinion stated as fact.

Fail.

Y00p, you're the man.
It's all rubbish, D'Addario make a great string - the most consistent quality of any of the big names, and a decent feel too. For me, i prefer GHS Nickel Rockers for warm vintage tones.

Considering the price of strings though, why not just come up with a list of four or five brands and work your way slowly through them all, until you've got a favourite...
Truth be told, I use d'addarios most of the time. I just don't like the way the sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by mastergrunt44
Well I don't think you can really go wrong with a set of Ernie Ball's.

The ernie balls super slinkies seem decent. I just but a set of the super slinkies on tonight and they are nice. I don't find a huge difference in sound with strings (some dfference, but if you're looking for a big difference i doubt you'd find it, but what do I know). The Dadario's EXP are also decent strings too.
Also take into consideration what gauge strings the guitar has (and is ideally set up for) before you go to buy strings. If you put something different on it can affect the action/sound/intonation.
im gonna go for some ernies but what set

Extra Slinky. 8-38
Super Slinky. 9-42
Hybrid Slinky. 9-46
Regular Slinky. 10-46
Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom Slinky. 10-52
Power Slinky. 11-48
Beefy Slinky. 11-54
Not Even Slinky. 12-56

i want a heavy sound. not really heavy metal although i like metal to listen to i'm not really good enough a player to play much. lol but vintage rock sounding.