Page 1 of 2
The Mel Gibson/Joaquin Phoenix suspense movie.

I think it was very masterfully planned and every single small detail in the plot (glasses of water, asthma, etc.) contributes to the main story. The story was very suspenseful and lures you in for more. Its not so much "scary" as it is psychological and suspenseful.

The one thing I didnt really like was the weakness to water, as there are water molecules in the air at all times, which would have killed all aliens. And the fact that they would want to take over a planet with over 3/4 percent water on it.
I haven't seen in years, but yea it was a good film. I liked the baby-moniter bit.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Well they wanted to stay away from water, and maybe it takes large amounts of water to kill them. There are some things that we can only eat in small amounts.
Great film.

Not many movies are good these days, hooking the average mind in with idiotic sequences that defeat the purpose of thinking.
Brilliant film. Great acting, good storey.
My favourite was the clip of the kids party...made me sh*t bricks...
the alien that shows up at the brazilian birthday party still scares me, for real.
all roads lead to rome
Am i the only person that laughed when his wife got impailed by the truck, or am i just a bad person?
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRCR0iOMr0

The guy who said something about dumping water on them reminded me of this.
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
My second favorite movie, behind The Village. Shyamalan is my favorite director/writer. I find both those movies to be full of morale substance that is lacking so much in movies today.
We're only strays.
Quote by Jaysifer
Am i the only person that laughed when his wife got impailed by the truck, or am i just a bad person?

I always think of Scary Movie 3, when he has the donut and the hot dog, so yea, I laugh too

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Moggan13

Tell me about it...

It is a pretty good movie though. I wouldn't call it one of my favorites but it was worth seeing.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I always think of Scary Movie 3, when he has the donut and the hot dog, so yea, I laugh too

Thats my favorite part out of any of the Scary Movies lol.
We're only strays.
I liked it. I don't care much for plotholes in movies, I'm not that superficial, I mean it's just a movie...
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by haven222

Ok. re-read the title of the thread:
"What do you think of Signs?"

As crazy as it sounds, you are allowed to have opinions too!

These Maddox slaves use him as much as possible and it really pisses me off.
Every time there's a damn iphone thread everyone races to maddox's stupid article to post it.
Seriously, he is really overrated.

Signs was a good and well made movie. Sure there are parts that aren't believable, but maybe that's why it's an entertaining movie and not a documentary...

/rant
Quote by Zero-Hartman

I haven't even seen Scary movie 3
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
Quote by Soul Power
I liked it. I don't care much for plotholes in movies, I'm not that superficial, I mean it's just a movie...

I've found that most people that don't like these kinds of movies (mainly Shyamalan) don't even watch they movie because they're trying so hard to out think it. If you want to think hard, play Sudoku or something. Movies are for watching, not for inflating your conceited self image of intellectualism.

/rant
We're only strays.
Quote by rush5757

Every time there's a damn iphone thread everyone races to maddox's stupid article to post it.

Signs was a good and well made movie. Sure there are parts that aren't believable, but maybe that's why it's an entertaining movie and not a documentary...

/rant

maddox is overrated, but you have to admit his articles are usually very well though out, and usually tend to be right. such as the iphones articles or his Fashion article.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I've found that most people that don't like these kinds of movies (mainly Shyamalan) don't even watch they movie because they're trying so hard to out think it. If you want to think hard, play Sudoku or something. Movies are for watching, not for inflating your conceited self image of intellectualism.

/rant

Couldn't agree more, bud.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Jaysifer

You weren't the only one.

Signs I thought was meh... really everything M Knight has put out(Post-Unbreakable) is either "meh" or "****e" to me.. Some people like all the alluding, foreshadowing, etc., etc. that he puts in, and it is kinda neat...but beneath it all it always seems like just a lame-ass story to me.. like the village.. I was mildly intrigued until I figured out about halfway through that these were just a bunch of religious nuts who were upset they weren't born Amish... Once they found the highway I was bout ready to leave the movie...

It's like movies where you find out it was all just a dream, ****ing stupid ****... why defeat the purpose of the entire story you just unfolded?
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
maddox is overrated, but you have to admit his articles are usually very well though out, and usually tend to be right. such as the iphones articles or his Fashion article.

I agree with you. When i'm bored i sometimes go on his page and laugh at a few articles (I actually thought the iphone one was hilarious and true), but it gets so old to see everyone post it and reference it any time something about it comes up. For instance about a week ago there was a thread of some guy who asked how to erase his iphone contacts or something, and within minutes the thread was just full of pricks quoting maddox and saying his phone is a smudgy piece of shit. It really starts to get old.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

/rant

For the most part I think you are right... personally, see my above comment as to why I dislike Shyamalan movies.

In a nutshell, The lamest story ever told is still the lamest story ever told, no matter how many plot twists you throw in.

Signs = Special Ed Aliens mistakenly invade planet 75% covered in their only weakness.

The Village = Religious Whackos, upset at not being born Amish, convince their friends to convince their families that they are now, in fact, Amish.

LITW = This one I'll give him a bit of credit for, while incredibly anti-climactic..I can't think of a witty one-liner to sum up it's stupidity.. on that note I'll just say.. A ****ing Sea Nymph?!? Really??

Ok i'm done.

PS: Don't take this as a personal attack or anything Martyr, in fact I had high hope for Shyamalan but I'm constantly dissapointed with the results lately... just 1 man's opinion
Quote by Moggan13

hahaha me too!!! Thats the part we always talk about with my friends... too funny.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
The Mel Gibson/Joaquin Phoenix suspense movie.

I think it was very masterfully planned and every single small detail in the plot (glasses of water, asthma, etc.) contributes to the main story. The story was very suspenseful and lures you in for more. Its not so much "scary" as it is psychological and suspenseful.

The one thing I didnt really like was the weakness to water, as there are water molecules in the air at all times, which would have killed all aliens. And the fact that they would want to take over a planet with over 3/4 percent water on it.

It's probably because they are only hrmed by the actual liquid form in certain percentages.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by chillbeast
For the most part I think you are right... personally, see my above comment as to why I dislike Shyamalan movies.

In a nutshell, The lamest story ever told is still the lamest story ever told, no matter how many plot twists you throw in.

Signs = Special Ed Aliens mistakenly invade planet 75% covered in their only weakness.

The Village = Religious Whackos, upset at not being born Amish, convince their friends to convince their families that they are now, in fact, Amish.

LITW = This one I'll give him a bit of credit for, while incredibly anti-climactic..I can't think of a witty one-liner to sum up it's stupidity.. on that note I'll just say.. A ****ing Sea Nymph?!? Really??

Ok i'm done.

PS: Don't take this as a personal attack or anything Martyr, in fact I had high hope for Shyamalan but I'm constantly dissapointed with the results lately... just 1 man's opinion

Well I just think that most people who hate Shyamalan simply don't get his movies. They go to them expecting a horror movie and thats not what they're about. The Village, for example, was marketed as a horror and that was a horrible mistake. Its still a very well put together movie.

I could come up with a smart sounding line for any movie to make it sound lame. That doesn't make my opinion any more a solid piece of reality as opposed to a subjective view point than anyone else's.

Edit: in fact, just about the most it does is make me sound like a lame wannabe movie critic. The kind that nobody likes because they aren't really giving the movie an honest critique, but formulating whatever catch phrase they can to get the most hits.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Mar 10, 2008,
i like the whole suspense and mystery aspect of it (rarely seeing the aliens, baby monitor, news reports, etc) but i thought the whole destiny, faith, and everything happens for a reason part was kind of dumb.
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by GrungeBeatle
i like the whole suspense and mystery aspect of it (rarely seeing the aliens, baby monitor, news reports, etc) but i thought the whole destiny, faith, and everything happens for a reason part was kind of dumb.

Thats the core of that movie though lol.
We're only strays.
I Love Shyamalan's movie's.

Signs, The 6th Sense, Unbreakable, - All fantastic Films

Lady In The Water - IMO, his weakest attempt, but still a good film.
Quote by blackenedktulu
I Love Shyamalan's movie's.

Signs, The 6th Sense, Unbreakable, - All fantastic Films

Lady In The Water - IMO, his weakest attempt, but still a good film.

I concur.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I concur.

You're the only person, aside from 1 friend, who has shared my view
Quote by rush5757

/rant

Believe me, I'm in no way a "Maddox slave". The article I posted is really his only one I completely agree with, and I thought it suited the thread.
Last edited by haven222 at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well I just think that most people who hate Shyamalan simply don't get his movies. They go to them expecting a horror movie and thats not what they're about. The Village, for example, was marketed as a horror and that was a horrible mistake. Its still a very well put together movie.

I could come up with a smart sounding line for any movie to make it sound lame. That doesn't make my opinion any more a solid piece of reality as opposed to a subjective view point than anyone else's.

Edit: in fact, just about the most it does is make me sound like a lame wannabe movie critic. The kind that nobody likes because they aren't really giving the movie an honest critique, but formulating whatever catch phrase they can to get the most hits.

I think you prolly hit the nail on the head there, I know any of his movies are gonna be something of a "suspenseful intellectual thriller" or something to that effect. But as you said, The Village was marketed as this mega scary horror flick (I knew it wouldn't be one as I tend to get as much info as possible on a movie before I pay to see it) most of the group I was with was expecting something along those lines and they were all really disappointed in the end. I'm sure a lot of people going into the movie felt "robbed" in the same fashion.

Had I known fully what the "twist" was in The Village I probably would've never watched it in the first place, except I probably still would've because, like I said, I have high hopes for Shyamalan... I just want him to come up with an interesting story that doesn't boil down to something I wrote in 2nd grade in my marble composition book

I dunno, I see why people would enjoy it, and as you said it is really well put together(good acting, directing, camerawork, screenplay, etc.) I just find at their core, his more recent works aren't all that interesting to me.

In a sense you could draw similarities to Shyamalan(his techniques moreso) and shredding on guitar(I'm reaching I know), in that all the amazingly fast sweep-picked arpeggios and scale runs in the world might look cool and hold your attention, but in the end, if it's not music, what's the point?

It's just not music to me.... different strokes for different folks, eh?
Page 1 of 2