Many of us read or hear something and say "yeah, sure...whatever". Then one day we actually experience that same thing we read or heard about. Only then do we say "oh yeah, they were right...it really does work". Lessons in life learned by experience.

So here is something I read before but became a believer after experiencing it for myself:

After a long hard workout on the guitar your muscles will need proper rest. Take a day or two off once in a while. This is what weight lifters do: arms one day, legs the next, rest a day,etc.
I used to do an hour or two a day and was frustrated with not getting much better with what I was working on and my arm and hand hurt. Then I would take like 2 or 3 days off . That really helped because then I felt "fresh".

Please contribute your experience that made you a believer.
I did figure that out eventualy but I've never had anyone tell me to do that. I took my first rest after becoming increadibly sick of playing music unfortunately but I did bounce back and it did feel great...um, another would have to be the use of a metronome. I thought people were crazy telling me that a metronome should be incorporated into normal practice but eventualy I tried it out and was amazed at how much better my timing was. I have others but I don't want to fill up the whole thread...
I actually figured out playing for 1 hour on guitar then resting for the rest of the day, then playing guitar for another hour the next day helps you learn better. It never really made my hands hurt. I also figured out that you can spend less money learning counting instead of buying a metronome.
Quote by EddieRhoads
I actually figured out playing for 1 hour on guitar then resting for the rest of the day, then playing guitar for another hour the next day helps you learn better. It never really made my hands hurt. I also figured out that you can spend less money learning counting instead of buying a metronome.

well that'll help you learn time signitures but it won't help you with the actual rhythm...
Agreed, I think you will find us city folk have learned to count already
When I experience the finger-fatigue, I browse for guitar and music theory topics. Even looking at scales and trying to see where one type differs from another, to see the why in chord structure etc. has helped me feel more and more like I know where I'm going on the guitar when I've let the fingers recover.