Hi i am from the UK and need a new guitar.

I would like the following specs:

Fixed bridge unless somebody can convince me otherwise
Mahogany body
Ebony neck preferable though would consider rosewood
thin and fast neck
not sure on scale but probably smaller scale would be better
good for rhythm and lead
good stock pickups (passive not active)
24 frets? not sure about this 22 may be fine
good upper fret access would be great
great build quality and good components are a high priority aswell

Budget £350 (around $700?)

There are some real nice alder guitars out there but from my experience with my jackson dkmgt the punch and warmth just wasn't there at all (and that was tried with duncan invader and dimarzio breed in the bridge!) am i right to avoid alder?

The brands i keep looking at are esp/ltd, schecter and ibanez though i keep seeing bc rich guitars mentioned as great for metal. i get the feeling bc rich are kind of hated on here by many people but which bc rich guitars are good in my price range?

also which is the minimum esp/lts series to go for? some say 400 others say 500 it seems.

will a 25.5 scale neck case a lot higher string tension all things being equal compared with say a 24.75 scale?

my musical style is very much based on the scandinavian melodic/folky metal scene though i play a lot of 80s thrash like kreator and megadeth.

I play through a roland cube at the moment and have no intention of going tube anytime soon, but one day i hope to gig and then i will definitely buy a top metal tube amp.

please help, thanks
Last edited by Sepulturick at Mar 10, 2008,
schecter

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
^ what he said. must be the avatar
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
^ what he said. must be the avatar

lol i like you

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Ibanez RG2EX1, RG2EX2, or RG321

Don't get a BC Rich unless it is a high end one.
Quote by Pott
Brands or guitar don't make the genre of music.

actually its pretty important to have a humbucker set-up and low action for metal
Quote by Pott
Brands or guitar don't make the genre of music.

Would you use a classical guitar for brutal death metal? Certain guitars are made for certain things.
so yeah what we're ALL saying is basically get a schecter
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
2 guitars spring to mind:

a) Ibanez SZ520

- Mahogany body with a maple top
- 22 frets
- Rosewood fretboard (not sure)
- Duncan designed pickups (not bad, actually half decent)
- Great fret access
- Made in Korea

This guitar kicks major ass in my opinion when I tried it out, and I've tried it out several times because it is that good!

b) Washburn X50PRO

Note: This is actually an Washburn X50PRO-E which has EMG's instead, but you get an idea of what it looks like...

- 24 frets
- Mahogany body with maple top / veneer (?)
- Seymour Duncan pickups (distortion bridge, '59 neck I think)
- Rosewood fretboard (?)
- Great fret access
- Made in Korea
Quote by Mwoit
2 guitars spring to mind:

a) Ibanez SZ520

- Mahogany body with a maple top
- 22 frets
- Rosewood fretboard (not sure)
- Duncan designed pickups (not bad, actually half decent)
- Great fret access
- Made in Korea

This guitar kicks major ass in my opinion when I tried it out, and I've tried it out several times because it is that good!

b) Washburn X50PRO

Note: This is actually an Washburn X50PRO-E which has EMG's instead, but you get an idea of what it looks like...

- 24 frets
- Mahogany body with maple top / veneer (?)
- Seymour Duncan pickups (distortion bridge, '59 neck I think)
- Rosewood fretboard (?)
- Great fret access
- Made in Korea

i have owned both of those guitar beleive or not, both are indeed great guitars. the problem i had with the sz was i could never get it setup the way i like it, i have owned 3 sz320! great guitars but perhaps not spot on for me. the problem i had with the x50 pro was that my right arm had some kind of reaction to the sharp edge of the body it rested on. i don't think my playing technique was at fault either although i may be wrong.
doesnt matter what kinda guitar it is, its how you play it, saying that, i quite like that ibaneze lol
Guitar - Fender Jaguar HH Special (Black)

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
(www.myspace.com/halfrightmusic)
Quote by sowhat360
actually its pretty important to have a humbucker set-up and low action for metal

For most people yes. And I agree with the humbucker. I use low output buckers specificially for metal. As for low action I play much better on medium. It's ALL subjective.

Mostly if you have a bridge bucker you'll be fine and buzzless. Some players may even prefer single coils. I sure don't mind them at all for metal.

If you play with loads of bends you're also better off with something flatter than a 7.25'' fingerboard radius. I favor 9.5'' for any kinds of music. Similarly, taller frets may be favored but once again it's purely subjective.

As for brands, saying 'BC Rich/Jackson/ESP/whatever are good for metal is like saying 'Ford are good for going fast'

As for the classical guitar comment... way to take things out of context.
Quote by Pott
For most people yes. And I agree with the humbucker. I use low output buckers specificially for metal. As for low action I play much better on medium. It's ALL subjective.

Mostly if you have a bridge bucker you'll be fine and buzzless. Some players may even prefer single coils. I sure don't mind them at all for metal.

If you play with loads of bends you're also better off with something flatter than a 7.25'' fingerboard radius. I favor 9.5'' for any kinds of music. Similarly, taller frets may be favored but once again it's purely subjective.

As for brands, saying 'BC Rich/Jackson/ESP/whatever are good for metal is like saying 'Ford are good for going fast'

As for the classical guitar comment... way to take things out of context.

i really don't know anything about guitar neck radius, i have never paid much attention to it. could somebody please elaborate for me a bit?
It's the curvature of the fingerboard.

The more curvy, the more comfy it usually is, especially for chords (keep in mind it's all subjective of course)
The flatter it is, the further you can bend without choking the note: this happens when the bent note his a fret further on the board and dies out. It happens with curvy radius.

Vintage Strats/Teles with the 7.25'' radius suffer from this. The more modern 9.5'' doesn't, especially with the more modern, bigger frets.

Metal guitars usually are from a 12'' to 16'' radius, depending on the brand/model. I prefer the curvier possible, usually 9.5''. And yes for metal

Also, high output buckers when used with a high gain amp tend to mush up and mess up your sound compared to lower output buckers, a lot of the time. So I prefer low output pickups.
Hey guys, totally unexpectedly i bought an Ibanez RGR142EXFM from a nearby buitar store. i tried many really nice guitars out but the one i bought felt right. i didn't think i would end up with something like an rg, thanks guys
Maybe have a look here, its all secondhand but you could pick up a better guitar than you would if you bought new, theres a few on there would suit the style within the budget.

http://www.coda-music.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_45

Im drawn to the esp and the Ibanez S classic, oh and theres PRS SE custom.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Mar 11, 2008,

...And look no further.
Mahogny body, good passive stock pups, short scale, fixed bridge...
I want to make love to it
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
That Explorer is just what I want. But for the TS, I would try out one of the new Epi Prophecy models. The SG with Dirty Fingers pickups is probably one of the best ones in your guidelines. 22 fret, Gibson-style ~24" scale, probably the best fret access, a beautiful Quilt top over a Mahogany body, coil tap, and high-output Gibson humbuckers. Its also very light, a very nice dark red finish, and gold hardware. And all for about $700 US.
Quote by sowhat360

So me playing my strat with "middle" action for metal doesn't exist?

You're asking for a two humbucker mahogany guitar?!
**** how can you NOT find one?