i need help understanding how to get a good sound on recording piano,vocals,acoustic guitar, and strings.

im using garage band for the mixing and mastering since it is a free program i got and i used it before just to record a little riff to hear the quality.

i wanna know how do people record piano,acoustic and vocals. i will be using a yamaha keyboard for piano. a pearl electric acoustic for the acoustic. and a mic and my voice for vocals.

i wanna know if i should put reverb on it and what way should i face the sound to like left speaker or right.
Quote by floyd matt
i wanna know how do people record piano,acoustic and vocals. i will be using a yamaha keyboard for piano. a pearl electric acoustic for the acoustic. and a mic and my voice for vocals.

i wanna know if i should put reverb on it and what way should i face the sound to like left speaker or right.

I'll overlook your poor choice of recording medium and go right to the point. If you're recording electric piano sounds you can just patch the headphone out to one of your A/D converters, no mics required, unless you want to mic it.

There are plenty of techniques for recording acoustic guitars. Since yours is electro-acoustic you could patch it in to your converters just like the electric piano. Micing it will most likely sound better, so assuming you only have one microphone, I'd position it in front of the 12th fret, about 6 to 8 inches away, and point it towards the sound hole. You could always record it with a mic and directly from the pickup, two tracks are better than one.

With vocals it's pretty straightforward. Sing in to it, don't put your mouth too close though. A pop filter would be a good investment, too. I'd say put a little bit of reverb on the vocal track, and pan it center.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
ok so pan vocals to center and put little reverb and put pop filter.

piano should be pan where and guitar pan where?

i recorded the acoustic guitar twice and it sounded pretty dang great. i was surpirsed.

the piano i can try to figure out what sounds better.
Quote by floyd matt
ok so pan vocals to center and put little reverb and put pop filter.

piano should be pan where and guitar pan where?

i recorded the acoustic guitar twice and it sounded pretty dang great. i was surpirsed.

the piano i can try to figure out what sounds better.

It's all up to you. Pan it where ever you think it sounds best.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I'd start with panning the piano and the guitar a little to the left and right. Not way off to the sides, but a bit off center. This will give the vocal its own space in the center and the guitar and keys their own space to either side. Having things panned to the same place causes them to compete for space in the mix and sounds claustrophobic. A little bit of panning will open it right up.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
umm, I know this isn't probably recommended on here; but if your super cheap (like me) and are only having fun and messing around with playing music than I'd just say record yourself on a video camera, convert the files to mp3s, and chop them up. I know two programs I use to convert and to edit the songs that are free downloads off the internet.

I'm working on some new songs, but if you want to check out the song Oblivion I wrote (which is rough) and recorded instruments you can, and you can see how it all sounds (using the method I mentioned).

http://www.myspace.com/ulalumemusic
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.