Page 1 of 2
There are so many guitarist out there that have become the best in the business without using a metronome. So why am I constantly hearing people telling me, "the ONLY way to become good is to play with a metronome." I'm a decent player, I just use my band as a way of keeping time, and some of the more complicated, faster licks I tanscribe into Power Tab, slow it down, and then play over the top of it.
I just hate using my metronome and I only use it when I can't get to the computer or have no band at my house at that time.
What I hate more though are people telling me the only way to travel good distances on the guitar is playing with a click!
BULLCRAP! Yes, a click will enhance your playing and will encourage more accurate and nippier playing. But it is not the ONLY way to reach the top (If there is one)
Hendrix, Van Halen, Dimebag, Page, Clapton, Mick McCready, Max Caverlera, Daron Malakian didn't devote themselves to using metronomes yet in my opinion they rock more than the Trivium boys, or Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci or Dragonforce. Those guys are awesome in their own ways but not in the more creative sense like the aformentioned players contain.
So people who live off a metronome: Good for you, I envy you and your patience but don't dishearten me by saying I'll never be fast because I don't abide by a tiny little ear piercing click!
Heh, nice rant.

But you do know that metronomes are just a way to learn to play in beat, which you are practicing with guitar pro and your band.

Of course you can learn to play fast without a metronome, as it's just a method of ensuring you're keeping on the right tempo.

Practicing with other musicians / practicing on top of backing tracks / practicing with a metronome is very important.
i have yet to hear of one professional guitarist who doesnt/hasnt used one
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
LOL dude.

1st of all I hate when people say you MUST do this or MUST do that as well. If you dont want to use a metronome, thats your business, I dont think anyone really cares one way or the other.

That being said. The time I have spent with a metronome was very helpful. If anyone asked me whether they should practice to one or not.... I would definitely encourage it. If you have achieved a good sense of time by other means though, that is great as well.... alot of musicians develop their skills simply by listening, learning and playing. Theres alot to be said for that approach. Still though spending some time working with a metronome cant hurt you, and it will most probably help.
shred is gaudy music
Yeah it was a bit of a random rant. I do understand the whole theory behind using a metronome but I just can't believe it can be the only way to be accurate. I know to display emotion in shredding, you need tight, accurate playing but surely that comes with practise anyway. If you have a decent sense of rythme, use your foot as a beat pattern, play with a band, occasionaly use a click for hard solo's and use a computer, surely I should be ok?
personally its hard for me to get faster without a metro, because it provides that set of stairs that you can go up daily, so you know where your limit is and you know what speeds to really pay attention to technique at
Quote by beadhangingOne
Yeah thats the kind of talk GuitarMunky that drives someone to play with a metronome. Its like living at home with your mum. When she didn't tell you what, you did it anyway, just cause you wanted to. But if you she kept naggin' you didn't bother your ass...well that was for me anyway!
Quote by EZLN libertad
i have yet to hear of one professional guitarist who doesnt/hasnt used one

Did Hendrix use one then? I didn't even know they had them back then.
theyve had them since forever, ie, since classical composers

edit:
"The metronome was invented by Dietrich Nikolaus Winkel in Amsterdam in 1812"
-wiki
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by AngryGoldfish
There are so many guitarist out there that have become the best in the business without using a metronome. So why am I constantly hearing people telling me, "the ONLY way to become good is to play with a metronome." I'm a decent player, I just use my band as a way of keeping time, and some of the more complicated, faster licks I tanscribe into Power Tab, slow it down, and then play over the top of it.
I just hate using my metronome and I only use it when I can't get to the computer or have no band at my house at that time.
What I hate more though are people telling me the only way to travel good distances on the guitar is playing with a click!
BULLCRAP! Yes, a click will enhance your playing and will encourage more accurate and nippier playing. But it is not the ONLY way to reach the top (If there is one)
Hendrix, Van Halen, Dimebag, Page, Clapton, Mick McCready, Max Caverlera, Daron Malakian didn't devote themselves to using metronomes yet in my opinion they rock more than the Trivium boys, or Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci or Dragonforce. Those guys are awesome in their own ways but not in the more creative sense like the aformentioned players contain.
So people who live off a metronome: Good for you, I envy you and your patience but don't dishearten me by saying I'll never be fast because I don't abide by a tiny little ear piercing click!
I do the same with my teacher when he teaches me.

Then I just remember what I've learned. Also when you play with sheet music the timing is right there.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by EZLN libertad
theyve had them since forever, ie, since classical composers

edit:
"The metronome was invented by Dietrich Nikolaus Winkel in Amsterdam in 1812"
-wiki

Why do you never here old interviews with Jimmy Page saying..."Oh yeah a click is the only way to live man"?

I don't doubt a metronomes ability to improve your playing, I just can't see how it is the only way to climb the ladder. When I play a lick along with a metronome, it is in time. I don't use mine often.
Why don't drummers use a metronome? Well apart from the obvious hearing difficulties. One of the main points of having a drummer is to keep the rest of the band in time, and therefore the drummer himself must have immaculate timing. He has gained that ability through practise and listening. I listen to a click ALL THE TIME on Powertab, its always going. I can tap my foot in time well enough from my experience with drums and drum machines and a metronome of course.
The metronome is to help you get a sense of that timing. You're going to have to get it somehow, either by listening to the song and trying to replicate it or by using a metronome. If you can do it without the metronome go for it but why not use whatever resources are in your disposal?
a metronome helps you keep your playing tight and clean, its like a drummer except it does what you tell it and it's smarter...
you can use your foot to keep rythm but thats not as accurate as a metronome,(i tap it along with the metronome)
it just helps all you need is a little patience and eventullay your so in time with it you cant even her the click(or your just playing to loud with to much distortion...)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
TS, why do you hate playing with a click so much? Yeah, you made a lot of good points in your post, but I think playing with a metronome forces you to become more aware of what you're playing, allowing you to focus on what needs to change for you to become a cleaner and better player.
you fu<king idiot. those guitarists on your list have TALENTS. Like Beethoven, they don't need fu<king metronomes but they can catch the beat.

Can you?

I wonder.
peanuts and beers
Quote by Eirien
TS, why do you hate playing with a click so much? Yeah, you made a lot of good points in your post, but I think playing with a metronome forces you to become more aware of what you're playing, allowing you to focus on what needs to change for you to become a cleaner and better player.

hes probly just ignorant, the first time i started playin with the clickers i hated them to.
but eventually i realized how i improved. and now i lost mine so i need to buy a new one
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Infatuation
you fu<king idiot. those guitarists on your list have TALENTS. Like Beethoven, they don't need fu<king metronomes but they can catch the beat.

Can you?

I wonder.

Composing is completely different than performing
Quote by beadhangingOne
doesn't matter, he listed those names, they are composers and performers.
peanuts and beers
Angry Goldfish is ANGRY.

I'm sorry, I had to say it
I completely agree - practicing with a metronome isn't essential. It does help, but there are other ways of doing the same thing.
The main thing about practicing with a metronome in my opinion is being able to do what classical musicians do more than rock musicians and "internalize" the beat, as my guitar teacher likes to put it. I'm a rock player on a classical degree, and I have trouble with that when playing solo classical guitar.

Quote by Infatuation

Can you?

I wonder.

Wow. Are you saying that if it wasn't for your metronome you wouldn't be able to play along to a drummer?
Quite right you don't need one.

Be able to play in time with drums.

**although if you are going to some recording you might like to be comfortable with a click.

Possibly better to be able to do it and then choose not to than to just dismiss it out of hand as you found it difficult.

**I know nothing btw.
Quote by Infatuation

Can you?

I wonder.

Right, I'm a drummer and I therefore have no sense of timing. I'm not ignorant you twat I said I respect people who use Metronomes, I envy them! I said I don't like the discouraging way people force their opinions on others.
I've never had a problem with timing and when I do use a metronome, I'm in time anyway! And what says I don't have TALENT either?! Anyone one of us could have a Beethoven tune in us. I prefer composing in general and like the guy said, they are too different things.
i dont particularly practice with a metronome, mainly because i played on a drumline for 2 years before started playing guitar, where if you got off beat even by the SLIGHTEST they would make you do pushups, and i was quite notorius for losing the beat in the beginning ,so i developed quite a good sence of time from that, and good trisepts/bicepts

my idea is dont practice with a metronome, theyre high pitched and really annoying
id practice with a drum machine if you can, that way you can get used to playing with a "drummer", because drummers dont just hit a drum for every quarter note, and their playing might trip you up at first

another thing though, is if you can find a that pulse while your playing, and nod your head or tap your foot to it, do that, if you notice your head or foot nods/taps are in weird places in relation to your playing, your prolly off time, or if you feel your head/foot getting faster or slower, your prolly off time
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Quote by divinecrossfire
i dont particularly practice with a metronome, mainly because i played on a drumline for 2 years before started playing guitar, where if you got off beat even by the SLIGHTEST they would make you do pushups, and i was quite notorius for losing the beat in the beginning ,so i developed quite a good sence of time from that, and good trisepts/bicepts

my idea is dont practice with a metronome, theyre high pitched and really annoying
id practice with a drum machine if you can, that way you can get used to playing with a "drummer", because drummers dont just hit a drum for every quarter note, and their playing might trip you up at first

another thing though, is if you can find a that pulse while your playing, and nod your head or tap your foot to it, do that, if you notice your head or foot nods/taps are in weird places in relation to your playing, your prolly off time, or if you feel your head/foot getting faster or slower, your prolly off time

or you could just play to a metronome, and youll know for sure if your in time or not.

really though, I've practiced to a drum machine, and a metronome. Depending on what your goal is, one might be more appropriate than the other.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
or you could just play to a metronome, and youll know for sure if your in time or not.

but theyre annoying
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Quote by GuitarMunky

Yeah, and regardless of how good of a "sense of timing" you have, you're eventually going to get off because you're simply human. A metronome never will.

edit: they're not annoying..
maybe because I have jammed out with tons of people who think they are on time and have no idea whats going on. Try recording without a metronome, its a pain in the ass for the whole band.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Spamwise
Yeah, and regardless of how good of a "sense of timing" you have, you're eventually going to get off because you're simply human. A metronome never will.

edit: they're not annoying..

I know what you mean, a metronome won't let you down. But to be honest, other people will think differently and have their own viewpoints, but I'd rather be that little bit off every now and then. I don't want to sound like John Petrucci. I love the way he plays and he's excellent at his game, but its just not me. I play like Stephen Carpenter from Deftones, Slash (according to others) Daron Malakian, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) and other guitarist who are more biased towards jamming instead of being a bedroom shredder who has immaculate timing and sweep skills!
I'd love to be able to shred but I'd rather be the next Beethoven than the next Herman Li.
Well, it doesn't really matter what style you play. if you can't play in time, it'll sound like crap. just my $.2
Quote by Spamwise
Well, it doesn't really matter what style you play. if you can't play in time, it'll sound like crap. just my $.2

Understatement of the year...of course if you play out of time it'll sound crap! Thats common musical sense, the first thing I learned is how to strum. I taught myself all the chords through jamming around on the fret board for days after I learned how to strum in time.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Understatement of the year...of course if you play out of time it'll sound crap! Thats common musical sense, the first thing I learned is how to strum. I taught myself all the chords through jamming around on the fret board for days after I learned how to strum in time.

Yeah, and the point of playing with a metronome is to keep in time. It has nothing to do with any style of playing.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Try recording without a metronome, its a pain in the ass for the whole band.

We elected to not have our drummer play to a click when we did our CD. It worked out fine. The only downside was that you couldn't just copy and paste parts to edit in most cases, because that requires perfect timing.

It's not that our drummer can't play to a click. It's just that he felt more comfortable NOT playing to one, so we figured we'd get the best performance that way. Albini shares that same philosophy. Other brilliant producers (Lange, for instance) always go to a click.

And yes, many many drummers DO practice with a metronome.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I feel like i have a natural sense of timing, it just clicks for me alot easier than other people. I jam with people all the time that have been playing for years but can't keep the beat steady.

I never practiced with a metronome, i consider myself a solid guitarist.
good luck with that. the second you hit the studio and they set up a click track youre destined to failure.

playing to a click track helps you feel the rhythm. not to mention, if a conductor has bad timing then the orchestra is going to have bad timing, so what makes you think a band can play well without practicing timing? even just playing to some midi drums is better than nothing. my skill improved so much once i started playing to a set tempo and not approximating.
Quote by divinecrossfire
but theyre annoying

if you can hear it when youre playing thats usually a sign that you arent perfectly in time. its when you cant hear it through what youre playing that youre actually perfectly with it.
Page 1 of 2