Page 1 of 3
OK, before anyone makes any crazy assumptions, or posts serious cat (I know someone will), this is a serious thread. lol.

For about a year and a half I've been pondering the idea of moving to the UK from the states for personal reasons. I'm just not sure about how to do it, because lets face it, its a huge change from the way things work here, I mean I'd have to learn a new system of currency just for starters.

I've done some research about flats and stuff outside of London and around Glasgow but frankly, for me, information is hard to come by because i just don't know where to look. I figure for starters, I could take a weeks vacation to London to check it out, see how I like it and check out flats but I know its not enough. I'm just confused about the whole process, and lets not forget about all the crap in the states I'd have to go through, like getting a passport and all that stuff.

Another thing I couldn't find info on is the job market in and around London for electrical engineers (thats what I'm studying in college) I'm sure I'd be able to find sufficient work, but I'm also not sure how my college degrees will transfer over, I'm not sure if there is a different system over there.

I guess what I'm really asking for is some info, or sites I can visit to get info. I'm not planning this move for a couple years at most to finish college so I'm not gonna just jump into something like this without being prepared.

I really appreciate any answers you folks give
i play drums and guitar :
haha let me tell you know you'll be entering a warzone
violence is all we have here these days
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
i live in glasgow and honestly i wish i lived in the states.

It Rains CONSTANTLY .. and if you are American and move to the uk you will not understand one word.

EDIT: Notice how everyone from the uk is telling you not to come here lmao.
*serious cat*

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Jesus=ConArtist
haha let me tell you know you'll be entering a warzone
violence is all we have here these days

have u been in the U.S.?

anyways, I'm not sure where I would move yet, London is just an example
London will be near impossible to move into for someone with the weak american dollar money compared to the stong pound i think

I hear glasgow is an unpleasent place to live.

You may beable to get a cheaper flat outside london and commute... hrm.
go to Wales its great

*stifles laughter*
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I've always wanted to move to the UK for some reason. I would really like to live in the quiet countryside. is it really that bad over there?
I live outside of a city, so I understand the violence factor. The first week I moved in there was a shooting outside my building....**** happens I guess
my family moved there like 5 years ago, but we came back. I'd recommend traveling there for a week or so to look at flats, probably with an agency. Should you actually move there you still pay U.S. income taxes as a U.S. citizen, and I'm fairly certain you need a workers permit to legally get a job there, along with a visa to stay there more than a certain number of weeks. That's all I remember from the whole process, though I do recommend going there, it's a lot different than the states in some ways and would be a good experience.
Quote by rage6945
girls dont get braces in their vaginas buddy
Quote by strat335
I've always wanted to move to the UK for some reason. I would really like to live in the quiet countryside. is it really that bad over there?

if you can afford to live in the nice bits its good.

Quote by Andreas1
come to Edinburgh best city in the UK to live in.

....lol
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by SweetBabyJames1
i live in glasgow and honestly i wish i lived in the states.

It Rains CONSTANTLY .. and if you are American and move to the uk you will not understand one word.

EDIT: Notice how everyone from the uk is telling you not to come here lmao.

yeah he's right, not a world shall you grasp
Guitar - Fender Jaguar HH Special (Black)

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
(www.myspace.com/halfrightmusic)
Quote by bluehawk15620
have u been in the U.S.?

seriously everywhere you go you HAVE to watch your back, even kids the age of ****ing 9 carry blades
It's not the safest place
and cause your not from here you will be a target for muggings, car theft etc etc cause your new to the area and have no real chance of beating criminals who have lived their for years
just move to a different state
The UK is a ****hole
plus the amount of imagrants living here will cause a civil war sooner or later cause everyone is getting pissed off with it
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by Andreas1
come to Edinburgh best city in the UK to live in.

well seen you live there lol
Guitar - Fender Jaguar HH Special (Black)

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
(www.myspace.com/halfrightmusic)
Quote by rhcpwhitey
my family moved there like 5 years ago, but we came back. I'd recommend traveling there for a week or so to look at flats, probably with an agency. Should you actually move there you still pay U.S. income taxes as a U.S. citizen, and I'm fairly certain you need a workers permit to legally get a job there, along with a visa to stay there more than a certain number of weeks. That's all I remember from the whole process, though I do recommend going there, it's a lot different than the states in some ways and would be a good experience.

Isn;t it possible to get dual citizenship? why would I pay american taxes? thats all they do here is tax us, I'm sure its the same in the UK but honestly, pay U.S. taxes in a foreign country? thats absurd
Quote by bluehawk15620
Isn;t it possible to get dual citizenship? why would I pay american taxes? thats all they do here is tax us.

You'll fit in well over here

Do you know how to queue?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I've lived in London and the U.S, and i can tell you that the U.S is probably the better option for you. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, and the pound is very strong, so unless your minting cash over here, you wont have alot of money. Transportation is also a bitch and expensive as most people have to take the underground or busses every single day, cars are too expensive to have and maintain...so basically dont move just because you like the idea of the U.K.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Don't listen to the people from the UK being self-deprecating. They don't have any points of comparison.

I'm British, and have lived in Edinburgh, Cambridge and London for most of my life, but I've also lived in Atlanta (where I am living at the moment), Ann Arbor, MI and Ithaca, NY.

All places are different, but I'm really quite enthusiastic about going back to London next year. Apart from perhaps a handful of places in the US (NYC, D.C., San Fran, perhaps), London really beats the US hands down. The good British cities just tend to have more history and atmosphere than US ones (Atlanta is pretty much just one giant suburb, for example, and don't get me started on New Jersey).

As for jobs, I know that engineers are always in high demand here. Just do some googling, and perhaps look on craigslist for an apartment
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Last edited by suffer some at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by bluehawk15620
How about Germany? that was one of my other choices

my parents used to live in Germany and they really liked it there
Sig space available, give me some praise
Lol i live in suburbs of birmingham and its not that bad. Sure if you go looking for trouble you'll find it, but its far easier to just confuse a chav if they confront you.
For example, me and a mate waiting at bus stop to go up to party at a club. 2 Chavs, one who we had already seen messing with a knife comes up to us.
'Where you two off to then?'
'College party down waterfront'. (it then took some explaining to do that we were going to a party dressed in school clothes because that was the theme. They just didn't ****ing get it...)
'so anyway, what would you do if say, two guys went and knocked you out before the party?'
'well, we'd be knocked out so you know... not a lot'
*chavs confused*
'yeh but would you go home or what?'
'well we'd be knocked out'

they then keep trying us to retaliate in some way but we just say if they knocked us out, we would well, be knocked out. They just buggered off their brains most likely hurting.
Quote by SweetBabyJames1
why would anyone want to leave the us for the uk anyway.

the government over here is just a fkin joke.

Kinda funny how everyone hates their own country nowadays

George W. Bush is a ****ing joke
Quote by bluehawk15620
have u been in the U.S.?

I'm a Londoner so I can tell you from personal experience that it is VERY expensive to rent. If you want to get a real portrayal of Britain it would be a good idea to move somewhere a bit smaller to get yourself started. Bristol is lovely (that's where I live now) or you could move to another big town that's not so expensive to live in, like Manchester or Brighton. Every large town in the UK has a gumtree site, where you can find flat and job listings, just google 'gumtree *city*' and you'll find it.

Oh and pretend you hate George Bush, even if it's not true, and you'll fit in fine =)

Quote by bluehawk15620

See, that's the spirit!
Quote by StonaLemons
London will be near impossible to move into for someone with the weak american dollar money compared to the stong pound i think

I hear glasgow is an unpleasent place to live.

You may beable to get a cheaper flat outside london and commute... hrm.

Glasgow is a fantastic city, imo. There are some unpleasant parts, but I'm sure this guy wouldn't be moving to any of them anyway.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm a Londoner so I can tell you from personal experience that it is VERY expensive to rent. If you want to get a real portrayal of Britain it would be a good idea to move somewhere a bit smaller to get yourself started. Bristol is lovely (that's where I live now) or you could move to another big town that's not so expensive to live in, like Manchester or Brighton. Every large town in the UK has a gumtree site, where you can find flat and job listings, just google 'gumtree *city*' and you'll find it.

Oh and pretend you hate George Bush, even if it's not true, and you'll fit in fine =)

See, that's the spirit!

This is true.

Perhaps Glasgow, then, since you were thinking about it?

It's a really nice city. The people who say bad things about it are generally the people who have never spent any or much time there.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Last edited by suffer some at Mar 10, 2008,
i really wanted to move to UK last year, i was that close to just doing it..now i kinda wish i had done it

well i found some stuff like work travel, don't know the site but they can set you up with a bank account, phone number, 1~2 year working visa and set u up a full time job at a bar to start off with. if your lucky u get free accommodation living near the bar, then move on your life from there

all my info are from aus though, hope that kinda helps,
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Like I said, I have years to decide what I'm going to do, I would just like to touch with the idea, I know I'll definetly be going to the UK to check it out on a vacation
Quote by bluehawk15620
Kinda funny how everyone hates their own country nowadays

lol everyone hates him .. i dont have a problem with him.

most people hate him because of the iraq war stuff. but if all the troops are out of there and these places get nuclear weapons then chances are its the end of the world.
If you're moving to London, Do not move to:

North London
West London
South London
East London
Central London

London seems nice as a tourist, and in the nice places, but you probably wont be able to afford the nice places.

Settle for a smaller city i.e Bristol. Or the counties outside London if you really want to be in travelling distance to London.
personally i wouldnt move to london

if youve got a career idea, maybe contact a company in the same industry, and move to where they need work (obviously check its a nice place. but at least it puts an idea into your head instead of you trying to find the place for you. that could solve your problems of deciding where to move to.

the money system is easy

1 pound is about 2 dollars

and as for adding it up

100 pence = 1 pound, similar to 100 cents = 1 dollar

i live in a village (largest village in europe or something) i think its great and i realy couldnt get used to big city life, depends what your used to though.
Quote by Fuzz DH
personally i wouldnt move to london

if youve got a career idea, maybe contact a company in the same industry, and move to where they need work (obviously check its a nice place. but at least it puts an idea into your head instead of you trying to find the place for you. that could solve your problems of deciding where to move to.

the money system is easy

1 pound is about 2 dollars

and as for adding it up

100 pence = 1 pound, similar to 100 cents = 1 dollar

i live in a village (largest village in europe or something) i think its great and i realy couldnt get used to big city life, depends what your used to though.

i was under the impressiong most of Europe was using the euro now?
^not the uk

TS: i wouldnt bother. you'll have an inferior standard of living, and it really isnt so easy as you think to emigrate. unless you get married to someone, you need to be an in demand worker. work permits are tough to come by. i believe. i've never looked into it, obviously, because i am english, but thats the situation for moving to the states and i believe its pretty similar both ways.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 10, 2008,
If you are looking for a big change from the rest of the US go to either Idaho or Montana.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Wow, i don't understand how some people can be so unknowing of stuff like the pound still existing in the UK. Im pretty sure almost every britain is aware of US, Canadian and Australian Dollars, and the Euro etc. And almost any britain can tell you that £1 = $2 american

And to person who said glasgow is a nice area, you're obviously more informed than me since i admit i've never been to glasgow and was just going on what some had told me.

I still think birmingham is a nice place >.>
Page 1 of 3