So I've played guitar for a while....but only acoustic. I recently got an electric and i freaking love it. I have a deluxe american strat i bought on ebay as well as a peavy class 30 amp. At this time i have NO pedals of any kind.

I'd like some suggestions on 3-5 Different pedals that would be good to start with.

All I know I need so far is one for distortion and one for delay.

I know there's tons of pedals out there. I play a wide variety of rock, and I'm jsut looking for some other suggestions of pedals (or any other gear for that matter) that I should get.

I'd say my budget is like $100 or less for each separate pedal.

Thanks

Kevin
I suggest that you pick up a Wah, Phaser, and Chorus. I don't feel like i should make specific suggests as I don't have any experience outside of what I own.
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
Distortion is a must especially considering the Peavey Classic won't do anything heavy on its own. The delay is really up to you. Plenty of people have them and they're fun to mess around with but I wasn't able to justify getting one for myself.
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
Well first off, I want to say that no pedal is essential. They expand sonic possibilities, but I find more and more that I love what I can do with just a guitar, a cable and an amp. It's when you find your amp inadequate that you go for more pedals.
Anywho, on to helping you!
For overdrive(smooth distortion) I would recommend a Fulltone OCD. You can find one used for around $120 but if you spend the extra cash, you won't regret it.
Another pedal you would probably want is wah. Look into the Vox V847A.
Check out the Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo for delay.
Those are a few basic pedals. Feel free to enjoy the fun you can have with pedals, but don't get caught up in the huge pedalboard craze. Just remember, most of the most badass music ever came from just a guitar, a cable and a nice amp.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
DigiTech DigiDelay
Ibanez TS-9 or a Little Big Muff (both great)
and
Dunlop Crybaby.

These would be some good pedals
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
get an overdrive, distortion or fuzz, chorus,phaser, or flanger, wah, and compressor.
and someday, get a moog.

for the overdrive, get and ibanex ts 9 or ts808
distortion, maybe a big muff
fuzz- fuzz face
chorus- boss ce 5, ehx something. (don't remember which ones the chorus)
phaser- mxr phase 90
flanger- hmm. don't know what to tell you here. never really cared for flangers
wah- vox v847a, or a dunlop crybaby, heavily modded of course.
compressor, mxr dynacomp or supercomp, or a boss cs 3 or cs 2 (cs 2 is better)
thanks everone for the adivce.....one last question

i'd appreciate an answer or if u can just direct me to the answer.

what do those pedals do?

arn't overdrive and distortion similar whats the difference? and what do chorus, flagger, phaser and whatever else do ....

thanks
Overdrive either pumps the tubes in your preamp of a tube amp or it simulates tube sound for a solid-state amp. Distortion just gives you some extra 'grit' depending on the pedal.
Chorus - very echoey sound
Flanger - Hard to explain, listen to the intro to Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell"
Phaser - Gives another weird sound, can't think on it.
Wah - Makes that "wahhh" noise when guitarists like Kirk Hammett (best example, hehe) play.
Fuzz - makes a fuzzy distortion sound, thus the name
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i'd say start with distortion, then go for wah, then delay then chorus
proco you dirty rat, dunlop crybaby 515q, boss dd-6, and electro harmonix small clone respectively
It depends on what kind of sounds you are looking for. If I had to limit myself to three pedals, I'd go with overdrive, fuzz and delay.