So I was talking to my friend, an electrical engineer, and we were discussing guitar mods. I have a Squier Strat that I don't care much about so we were talking about some ideas that were pretty "out there." One such idea that I found really interesting was his suggestion that I turn my guitar into a midi guitar, as in I play a note and the output goes through a midi controller or something and I can synthesize many different sounds.

I was just wondering how feasible this actually is, or if anyone has tried or heard of such a thing (and if so, do they sound any good?).
Ok so how does that thing work... is it just a pedal you plug into, or do you have to do some wiring, or what? When I was talking about it to my friend we talked about changing the physical guitar in some way, and he said something about a midi controller... would that be the equivalent to the "pedal"? I don't really know much about this as you can see.
If you already have a Squier, is there any possible way you can "waste" it? (Especially because I have 2 guitars that are way better)

Anyway I thought it would be an interesting way to get around not having a full time keyboardist. anyone else have thoughts on this idea?
Quote by LeeA1991
sounds like such a horrible waste of a guitar
Great advice.

Maybe you should have given the same advice to Fender and Roland before they started selling all those GK equipped Stratocasters.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Roland-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517909

You could have saved them from having to wonder what to do with all the money they made.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by squier_4_life
I was just wondering how feasible this actually is, or if anyone has tried or heard of such a thing (and if so, do they sound any good?).

It is extremely feasible, and actually it isn't that uncommon. There are a number of companies that make the pick-ups you can install and actually a few guitars which come with them. I think Ritchie Blackmore started messing around with them in the 70's or 80's and Neil Morse uses them.

The tracking isn't supposed to be very good on a lot of them. I actually got interested in the Shadow Electronics one yesterday looking up about the Nanomag. Neil Morse uses it and it is supposed to have much better tracking, but I haven't really found out much about it.

In terms of how good they sound, it is a midi controller, just like a keyboard, so they sound however good as the midi processor they are controlling. The main thing to look into is tracking, which seems to be the main problem with a lot of the units. I have also heard they can be a real pain to set up properly, but I haven't gotten a chance to really try any out yet. I just started looking at them for pretty much the same reason as you.
What does it mean to say the "tracking isn't that good" or whatever? Does it mean when I'm playing the controller may have trouble keeping up or am I missing the concept?

OK so what exactly would I need to convert a normal guitar into a MIDI guitar..

1) A special pickup (and whatever electronics were required to wire it in)?
2) A MIDI controller
3) ... Anything else?

I do have a keyboard with a MIDI "In" and "out" but I have never used that part of it before and have no idea as to whether it can be used as a controller. For referece, it is the Yamaha PSR-220. If I can't use this, how much do you think a controller+pickup+anything else I need would cost? And also would the quality of the guitar affect the sound, and in what way (if anyone has had experience with this)?

Thanks a lot guys
Quote by squier_4_life
What does it mean to say the "tracking isn't that good" or whatever? Does it mean when I'm playing the controller may have trouble keeping up or am I missing the concept?

Pretty much along those lines.

I haven't used them. I would assume you can just plug the Midi pick-up right into the keyboard and it would control the keyboard as though you were playing it instead of the guitar.
You don't really have to mod anything, unless you call sticking the pickup to your guitar "modding"....you just buy one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-GR20-Guitar-Synthesizer-with-GK3-Divided-Pickup?sku=150097
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Graph Tech do a piezo bridge which can be out putted through midi, so you get, electic guitar, acoustic, and midi

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man