I have one of these amps along with my fender jaguar

whats the deal with everyone hating it?
Guitar - Fender Jaguar HH Special (Black)

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
(www.myspace.com/halfrightmusic)
most people prefer tube amps over ss/modeling amps
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
People dislike them because they're unreliable (a good deal of people on here have had issues with them), don't put out the best tone (subjective), and are so expensive that you could get a much better (still subjective) tube amplifier for about the same price.

If you like it, and it works, don't worry about what we have to say.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
First off, it's a bad solid state. For example, Roland Jazz Chorus/Line6 Vetta = Good SS.
Marshall MG/AVT/ and SS Crates= Crappy SS.
It's poorly made, it has bad tone, the effects are sub-par, and the stock speakers suck monkey butt. And, not any pedal in the world can make it a good amp.

AND.... it's overpriced, overadvertised, and overall bad. For the 600 bucks that you would spend *cough*waste*cough* on a Marshall MG stack (I actually don't mind the little combos, if you want a cheap portable amp), you could get a nice tube combo for probably less.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i dont know alot about amps tbh, i bought it so my band could practice and cause i had a very small amp, although i've noticed i much prefer tube amps

was a decent enough price but

£200 and its 100 watt so i'm fairly happy lol

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
Quote by darkarbiter7
First off, it's a bad solid state. For example, Roland Jazz Chorus/Line6 Vetta = Good SS.
It's poorly made, it has bad tone, the effects are sub-par, and the stock speakers suck monkey butt. And, not any pedal in the world can make it a good amp.

AND.... it's overpriced, overadvertised, and overall bad. For the 600 bucks that you would spend *cough*waste*cough* on a Marshall MG stack (I actually don't mind the little combos, if you want a cheap portable amp), you could get a nice tube combo for probably less.

I don't know why, but because of that I just can't seem to take you seriously.
Be cool.
Quote by darkarbiter7

+3
I couldn't have said it better. In defense of the MG, it sounds alright...until you turn it up. You really do get what you pay for.
Quote by LeeA1991
i dont know alot about amps tbh, i bought it so my band could practice and cause i had a very small amp, although i've noticed i much prefer tube amps

was a decent enough price but

£200 and its 100 watt so i'm fairly happy lol

That's about $450 USD right? For that price you could get a 50W Peavey Valveking. It would be much louder (or sound much louder, at least) and sound much better (based on almost every opinion I've ever heard about either).
because it sounds like ****e.

and YES I have actually played a few of'em
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
A guy I know has an MG100HDFX that sounds semi-good.

Thing is, he only uses the clean channel and gets his distortion from a Marshall Jackhammer. Plus he's running through a Marshall 1960B.
The MG100DFX is just an overblown beginner practice amp. thats whats wrong with it. same cheap tone. Your picture brings back the horrible memories of when a music shop plugged my Cyclone into one of those....
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
admittedly i've played alot better amps, wonder if i should sell it

although i think you dont hear the sound properly till you have it loud

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
Last edited by LeeA1991 at Mar 11, 2008,
Actually, from what I hear, it's the exact opposite - it sounds like garbage when you crank it further. I can attest to that because I tried it with my old Marshall MG10CD - not sure what it's like on the MG100 personally, but I'm assuming it's similar.

Since we've established that you don't like it: If you can find a buyer, then by all means, sell it and put the proceeds towards a nice tube amp.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Honestly, I dont think they are AS bad as some people on this forum say they are. The other guitarist in my band has the 2x12 combo and uses a DS1 and actually gets a pretty good tone out of it. It's just that the money you spend on one of those amps can usually buy a different one that is better.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
i use a esp alexi-600 with my mg100 head, i built a cab with 2x 75 watt celestions i got off ebay and i could crank the hell out of it. its still no where near as good as a valve amp, but i got mine used for 300 off ebay so in all i payed 400 for a nice halfstack thats lasted me over 3 years now. im getting bored with the tones though.
I have a MG30DFX and i am going to trade it in because there is no tone, it is Ok for a begeiner until you care about your sound.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by thedude051
I don't know why, but because of that I just can't seem to take you seriously.

Well, money spent on an MG halfstack (I don't mind the little ten watters, since they're cheap, and the people who buy them don't expect much out of them) is essentially money wasted.
600 dollars spent on a Marshall MG halfstack is essentially wasted when one would get maybe 100 bucks of tone in it, when one could spend that 600 bucks on a peavey classic 30 (or similar valve amp), which he get 600 dollars (or more) of tone.
Hopefully that made sense to you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by LeeA1991

whats the deal with everyone hating it?

Whats the deal with everyone making the "why the MG hate" threads...use the search bar for gods sake
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
well now that i think about it. i lended it to a "friend" who used it for a gig, after 3 weeks of no replies to get it back or him bsing that its at a friends house hell get it tomorow, i finally get it back and its ****ing busted. i take it to a shop and spend 100 on it. it had a busted fuse from being too loud and the dude also fixed the fan because apparently you have to clean it alot or it will make hella noise. anyways i want to trade it for a peavey valveking but i doubt that wil happen
they sound bad at high volumes is the main reason.

i used to have a small 15W MG practice amp...it did its job i guess.

its really the fact that for the price marshall wants for those MG100's...you can get something not only better quality wise, but also that sounds 10x better, and is louder!

remember, tubes arent actually louder, but they do sound louder to the human ear.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels