Page 1 of 2
so i was just wondering what you lovely people think it takes to make a band get going i.e doing gigs, writing song stuff

i've been thinking and i've got:

1. you need people who can play instruments/sing
2. a place to play
3. determination to make the band work

what do you guys think it takes?
^ not necessarily, I mean the second part. To xScarfx

Add on the ability to make music.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by InvaderTSN
Cooperation.

/thread
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
2 parts Guitarist
1 part singer
a sprinkle of bass player
1 drummer

And the last ingredient, METAL
you just need to put the work in, even if it seems not to be working, keep at it and you'll get somewhere
Guitar - Fender Jaguar HH Special (Black)

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
(www.myspace.com/halfrightmusic)
Talent, Weed, a mini fridge
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
No one in your band has to have the exact same taste in music, but a similar one helps...if no one in your band wants to play the same music, it gets bad real fast. Another thing is to have similar goals...if you have a couple people that just want to play the bars forever, and a couple others that want to tour the world and do the band for a living, problems will arise.

edit:

Quote by HLrocker
Talent, Weed, a mini fridge

Yeah, you need that, too.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
Cohesion.

Also, alcohol.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
A willingness to whore yourself out at every opportunity and a lack of dignity. If you've got those two bases covered, musical ability is pretty much meaningless. (See: Bret Michaels)
Quote by maccas666
2 parts Guitarist
1 part singer
1 drummer

That settles it, you're 13
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
Quote by razorback_al_31
A Love for music and passion in play your instrument and a good skill in playing your instrument.
Songwriting will come with these.

You do need someone that can write songs, though. Because, let's face it, songwriting is a talent not all of us have..
Couldn't you just write "What makes a band work?" instead of changing it up?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1. you need someone who can write songs
2. you need a good drummer
3. the band has to get along with each other
4. you need beer
Quote by Kawzmo118
That settles it, you're 13

I WISH!

I couldn't of gotten called a perv for liking 13 year old girls if i was their age.

I be 16.
A good manager and good looks.
That's all you need nowadays.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Mini fridge is required.

It must have soda.

Name brand soda.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by maccas666
2 parts Guitarist
1 part singer
1 drummer

bassist jokes FTW
a bassist, a guitarist, a drummer, and a less bitchy singer
and to be fairly good at respective instruments
1. good players
2. patience when writing or throwing around ideas
3. humor
4. bonding (hanging/drinking together works for my band)
5. similar personalities/ideals
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Leather pants are a must by the way...just so you know.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
It's definitely important that the band get on well with each other.....if there's disagreements and hostility during practice, that really sours the whole practice and sucks the fun out of the entire thing.

Whereas if everyone's having a laugh between songs and feeling comfortable and relaxed during practice, everything's a lot more fun....and no one will feel embarassed to make suggestions or present their own compositions or whatever.

Speaking of which, you definitely need at least one person who is a decent songwriter....I seem to be filling that role in my band, which has it's upsides and downsides!

So yeah, if you've got a bunch of musically talented best friends, that would be ideal.....though it does suck if you realise that one of your friends really has no skills whatsoever and will need to be sacked. That can be awkward....

Oh yeah, and it helps if you all want to be playing similar kinds of music....the bassist in my band always wants to be playing "darker", "rockier" stuff, but that's just really not our sound.

Anyway, as long as you get on pretty decently with your band members, you can all play your instruments to an acceptable standard, someone can write original music, and you're all willing to put the work in, then things should be groovy.
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
Quote by suthy16
You do need someone that can write songs, though. Because, let's face it, songwriting is a talent not all of us have..

Yes but if you as a musician have all of those attributes. Songwriting ability will come, i didn't say it would be great, but some would come.

On another note, it also helps alot if you hang out alot as mates not just as a band. If you understand where each person is coming from (musical background) you can create better music that is pleasing to all members of the band.

But No. 1 most important thing, Have Fun. Because if your not enjoying it, the music will sound boring and un-entertaining.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
^ not necessarily, I mean the second part. To xScarfx

From personal experience, if the people who are playing an making music together dont have similar taste in music, then who ever is the minority is not going to want to be in the band anymore. For instance, if a hardcore drummer is in a punk band, that drummer is not going to want to be in the band for much longer because its not the type of music he likes.
The abilty to compromise
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2