Alrighty! I wanted to build a 68/69 reissue strat. I have no woodworking skills though so I bought a used fender body and a used fender neck. I put lindy fralin vintage hots in there, and i did the wiring myself perfectly. BUT, the tone isn't exactly what i wanted. I REALLY wanted to get that John Mayer sound outta this axe (like his bold as love cover), but it's not as...thick...? Like I can get the bell tone, but it's like the bell is tinny, kinda bright. The body is basswood... perhaps this is a factor? I also play through a marshall jcm 2000 dsl 100 with the vintage cab. HELP! I WANT THE ULTIMATE TONE!
here's great strat tone that i want: here,
here,
and here.
well fender strats are usually made from alder so it's a safe bet john mayer's strat is alder. alder and basswood have very different tonal properties, alder is much brighter sounding than basswood.

that's about the extent of my knowledge so i'll let someone more qualified take over from here
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
johnny boy uses boutique amps, custom pickups (or at least pickups that only come on his sig model), and boutique pedals...

and you lindy frailin pick ups are accurate to that time period because the pickups were rather thin.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by skater dan0
well fender strats are usually made from alder so it's a safe bet john mayer's strat is alder. alder and basswood have very different tonal properties, alder is much brighter sounding than basswood.

that's about the extent of my knowledge so i'll let someone more qualified take over from here

is the tone difference really that big with different woods used? also, TS, I'm curious to know what kinda fretboard you have on your neck?

...and John has his collar popped in the first video I have lost some respect for him after watching that.
the type of wood used has a HUGE difference on the tone you'll get. If you really want his tone, you're not gonna get it with that body, and you're definitely not gonna get it with a marshall amp. you could be playing with john mayers guitar and that marshall will get the wrong sound for you. i'd say if you see yourself playing that kind of blues-driven music for the long run, invest in a good (vintage if you can) fender, maybe a twin reverb, maybe a deluxe, etc.
hey you're in chico. that makes you the closest to me as possible. and, also probably means you've heard of one of my favorite bands. (directed towards rednwhiteblues)
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Is the first video and improvisation? It sounds familiar to me but I am unsure whether it is an actual songs whose name alludes me. If so could anyone state the name so I can learn it. Thanks. Good luck finding the tone, it is great, too bad his pickups are only available in his sig.
You've got hot pickups, he has low output pickups. He plays Fender-style amps, you play a Marshall. His guitar has an alder body, yours has basswood. And so on. Even if you did have all the same gear, you don't have his touch and technique.
Quote by Icallitmusic
ah but how do you know?

I've read some of his interviews.