Page 1 of 2
So I've been playing for a little over a year and I'm getting pretty good so my aunt and uncle are giving me $3000 to spend on gear. Right now my Pacifica isn't really cutting it so I want to get a new guitar and a new amp. For the amp I'm looking at the Mesa F-50. Not really sure what I want for a guitar but I was looking at the PRS CE series (22/24, and the singlecuts mainly). I play pretty much everything. What do you guys think would be a good rig for an intermediate player?
$3000?

what the ****!?!
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
$3000?

what the ****!?!

My thoughts exactly...
WTF 3 Grand?!?!?!?!
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Wow 3g.
Esp?
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
$3000?

what the ****!?!

Yeah I know. My parents kicked me out and I live with them and I think they feel sorry for me . So would that be a good setup?
EDIT: I called my bro up and he said that the PRS and the Mesa would be a good choice but he said to also look at the Schecter C-1 Classic and maybe get a better amp or some effects. Would this be a good idea? I don't gig by the way.
1. Who are your aunt and uncle, and how do i marry into the family?

2. start a rack mount setup with a 4x12, pre-amp and power-amp (mesa kicks ass)

3. prs is cool, look into whatever style your into
A Telecaster would be a pretty good guitar, considering the bands you listen to.
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
haha! i think the TS is full of sh*t! ??$3000?? wtf?! typo? 300? but you cant get a PRS for 300... hmm any1 else in the same boat? that is unless someone just died and the TS is getting a cut out of a will or something.....possible.....

alright so the situation has been explained. i'm gonna agree with the tele considering the bands you like. personally i'd look into a schecter or ESP if i had that much cash to burn.... but i'm not too sure about the amp.... but i'd def get a rack setup + cab, no stacks.
Last edited by jbaker253 at Mar 10, 2008,
Look around at jacksons, and epiphone has a brand freaking new line called prophecy, check those out for now...
Quote by sweeppicker91'

Uncle owns a bike shop in Tacoma so he's pretty stacked.
i would consider starting a rack with something like a Gmajor... and that mesa is pretty awesome... and you cant go wrong with any PRS... so im not advicing that manner

you lucky bastard
Quote by diminishedtobme
Go for a $2000ish PRS and spend the rest on a good tube amp.

What would be a good tube amp in that price? Like I said I don't gig so I don't need anything huge. Would the Mesa F-50 be pretty versatile? My bro says its a really good all around amp. He's jealous as hell BTW
Buy some less expensive stuff and keep the cash for when you're better/ know what you need/ get in a band and start gigging
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
amp is more important than guitar though; don't get the prs ce unless you're willing to shell out for an equally awesome amp.

More Questions:
What kind of wattage would you be wanting (if you don't know, where will you play it?), what kind of stuff have you liked from guitars you tried out (tone woods, pickups, neck, etc...), and anything more specific on the type of music you play?
Quote by bright-eyes
What would be a good tube amp in that price? Like I said I don't gig so I don't need anything huge. Would the Mesa F-50 be pretty versatile? My bro says its a really good all around amp. He's jealous as hell BTW

I'd get an amp good enough for gigging, though. You might start gigging in the near future, and you'll need a decent amp.
Wtf you need 3 grand for just a guitar. Make a whole ****ing RIG!!!!

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
^ Yeah I pretty much hate you right now. But like I said I would at least try out the C-1 Classic. You may like it and you may not and you can't go wrong with the American made PRS as they're great guitars.
EDIT:That was to bright-eyes by the way.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
$3000?

what the ****!?!

Yeah, buddy; don't know why-tf you think we're gonna give you any help on your decision here... You're getting 3 grand from your bloody aunt and uncle? Are you like a freakin' prince or something?

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
---------------------------
Quote by bright-eyes

i think everyone here is jealous you dirty bastard...oh and you could score a nice fender tube combo, or a used marshall JCM (probably too big and loud, but why not? lol), peavey classic...but if you really want an amazing amp i would go for a vox ac30 which is about 1000. maybe spend a little less on the guitar and get some effects.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by sweeppicker91'
amp is more important than guitar though; don't get the prs ce unless you're willing to shell out for an equally awesome amp.

More Questions:
What kind of wattage would you be wanting (if you don't know, where will you play it?), what kind of stuff have you liked from guitars you tried out (tone woods, pickups, neck, etc...), and anything more specific on the type of music you play?

Well I really like my bro's Clapton Strat but it kind of sucks when it comes to metalcore stuff. I play a lot of indie (stuff like my sig) and some metal/metalcore. Right now I just need an amp for practic and jamming with buddies.
F-50 is a great amp. I'm not really a Boogie fan at all (and yes, I'm aware I'm a hypocrite) but the F series was one of their best designs, versatile and toneful. Get one used and save some cash too, there's absolutely no reason to buy new with Mesa as they're built like tanks.

As for the guitar, the CE series are good but for your music I suggest a Telecaster - there should be some good ones available in your price range. Maybe pick up a really good overdrive like, say, a Fulltone, which you can use with the clean channel for a more subtle drive.
Quote by MisterChainsaw
ESP EC-1000
Orange Cab
Mesa Dual Rectifier Head.

Trust me.

i approve of this post
well if you have a PRS and a basd anmp youll still sound like garbage anyways, so get an amp you can gig with anyways so your set for the future.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Dean Razorback Slime
+
Krankenstein
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
u get 3000 dollars for doing something to piss ur parents off enough to kick you out?

u deserving child you.

well all pissed-off ness aside with that money u could pretty much get any guitar u really want as long as its a production model. personally id get a nice tele, and a good tube amp
Erm, PRS yes...if you like high gain stuff buy an ENGL Screamer 50 watt combo ($1200 ish I believe), if you like moderate gain stuff get a Laney VC30 ($939 around) and for low gain stuff, a Peavey Classic 50 would be good (I don't know the price)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by sweeppicker91'

Beat me to it
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Why don't you buy a nice tube amp for gigging and a practice amp along with a guitar and effects?.....That would keep everything at a decent quality....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by iTzMaTT
Wow 3g.
Esp?

If he had $3000 why would he buy an ESP? You should get a new taylor electric
Quote by iTzMaTT
Wow 3g.
Esp?

who would get an esp with that kind of money?
i would say split money 50-50 on guitar and amp (go for the mesa) and a gibson. or pitch a couple hundred more dollars in for a gibson es 335
Maybe you just suck lol

Seriously the Pacifica is a nice guitar with it being loaded with Seymour Duncans and all but $3000... damn! If you don't gig 50 watts may be too much, you don't want to annoy your aunt and uncle after them being so generous. Or do they have a much mansion so it doesnt really matter?
You guys really put 3 grand on a pedestal. Wait till you get out of HS and start working and realize 3 grand isn't a lot of money in the long run. Especially for good gear and especially for anyone who makes a liveable wage and not just enough to get by.
**** you...**** you to HELL...but yeh, I say a good ESP...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
3 grnad?!?!?!?!? thats nothing. One of my firend's parents own Cocal-Cola Facotries and distribution facotres in Latin America... They own pretty much anything that says coca cola in latin America. His mom gave 25 grand to get a Frankenstrat plus his dad gave him about 9 grand to ge a full stack of whatever he wanted... true story i swear
Quote by Iceman 420
Mesa Boogie Mark IV.
Custom Carvin.

This man has the right idea.

GET A FREAKING CARVIN!

???

Profit.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Page 1 of 2