Pretty much what the title says. Whats the major sound difference between parallel and serial? Also where does a wah go, before the input jack? Or in the effects loop? I know the first can work, but is there any benefit in putting it in the effects loop? Same questions with a looping pedal?

Thanks , guys
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
A wah sounds like shit in the FX loop. I have tried it, trust me...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Dont mean to jack this thread or anything, but should i run my isp decimator through the effects return on my 6505 combo, or put it in front after the guitar?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
what about a looping pedal?
My Youtube Vids

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

buuuuummmmp
My Youtube Vids

Quote by forsaknazrael
Just put it in front.

The Effects loops is usually for modulation and time based modulation effects.

You never need to use the effects loop. Everything can be run in front of the amp.

i found my reverb pedal to sound like **** infront of my amps, sounds good in the loop though
Quote by Erich yeung
Pretty much what the title says. Whats the major sound difference between parallel and serial? Also where does a wah go, before the input jack? Or in the effects loop? I know the first can work, but is there any benefit in putting it in the effects loop? Same questions with a looping pedal?

Thanks , guys

A series loop sends all the signal thru the fx loop. With a parallel loop, it runs a dry signal that doesn't pass thru the fx loop, along with a wet signal in parallel that does pass thru the fx loop. It will have a mix control of some kind, that balances how much wet and dry signal hits your poweramp.

The benefit of parallel, is that you can blend a dry untouched signal with the signal going thru your fx. This way, if the fx is a tone sucker, or you only want a very moderate effect, you can dial mostly dry signal to pass to the poweramp.

With series, all the signal passes thru the fx loop if you have something plugged in. The main drawback is, if something colors your tone alot in a bad way, you're stuck passing the whole signal thru it if you want to use that fx.

Since you can dial the blend on a parallel loop to send mostly wet or dry signal, you would assume it's better and more versatile, since you could dial all wet and have the same thing as a series loop. However, IME with the amps I've had, sometimes certain fx boxes sound a little better quality to my ears on a series loop. It seems like all the effects are a little more pronounced. I think some boxes like being sent the full undivided signal. This is assuming it's a quality box however, I prefer a parallel if the fx box colors the tone too much, so I can blend more dry signal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I run my wah into the input of the amp.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
So if my looping pedal is a tone sucker, then could I put it in a parallel effects loop? Also since my looping pedal is a mono-channel thing, could I record something in clean and loop it, turn the fx loop off and then play over it in distortion...? Though I don't think it would loop then...?
My Youtube Vids

Quote by dcdossett65
Dont mean to jack this thread or anything, but should i run my isp decimator through the effects return on my 6505 combo, or put it in front after the guitar?

I run mine through effects loop. In the front it f*cks with the wah and modulation pedals.

I have all my pedals going straight to front of amp, but the Decimator going through effects loop on its own.
Wait so what about a looping pedal? Does the looper go in between the guitar and amp or in the effects loop? Also will pedals that aren't true bypass in the effects loop suck tone?
My Youtube Vids

cmon someone?
My Youtube Vids