So I was helping out my friend organizing a series of shows, and he decide to give preference to bands that have 5-people. In his opinion, in order one to consider as a full and complete band, it must have a singer, two guitarist (or a guitarist and a keyboard), a bassist, a drummer. He said that the bands he listen to is always full bands.

Now, I am very sure that the current standard size is 3 (guitar, bass, drum), with 4 just as likely... so unless I am missing something here, I really don't know how many bands are 5-people anymore.

I am trying to persuade him to not give preference based on band size, but I need to put out a good argument. Thing is that he listen to Cantopop and J-rock (Actually Chinese, in case you are wondering) and does not listen to "western" music, and I do not know any good J-rock that is less than 5 people. So can anyone help me build up an argument?
i perfer a 4 man band...drums, bass, guitar, and a singer who can also play rhythm guitar
Esp Eclipse EC-1000 (with Seymour Duncans)
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley Tube Screamer Comming Soon
Fender Twin Reverb Commnig Soon
Avenged Sevenfold is a 5 man band, and so are most metal and thrash bands like arch enemy and testament... you mainly see it in metal bands, more than any other...
I like being the only guitarist, and i sing. So my ideal band size is a trio, the most common would probably 4.

Depending on the genre you play though, most metal bands have 2 guitarists to give them that powerful sound. As long as you don't have a designated screamer you're alright
ur friends a dumass

Edit: examples: The Beatles, led zeppelin, black sabbath..i kno theyre different genres than what ur friend likes but i think they prove u dont need 5 members
Last edited by zepzepzep86 at Mar 10, 2008,
Pantera - Four dudes who rocked the Earth, and they were metal too.

But then again, Dime was like four guitarists in one.
R.I.P
band size has nothing to do with how good they are you coul double the size of FOB and hrow in hannah motana and theyd still suck.
ask your friend what hes on and ask for some.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Zycho
No such thing as a standard band size.

I concur. Who gives a **** how many people are needed, it all comes down to the sound they produce.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
band size has nothing to do with how good they are you coul double the size of FOB and hrow in hannah motana and theyd still suck.
ask your friend what hes on and ask for some.

Probably just too much lead, considering that he, like many chinese in Vancouver, don't really integrate well with the local culture.

As for metal: no, he doens't listen to metal, since a) he don't liek them (he prefer canto-pop and J-rock, remember?) b) There's ony one good J-metal band, and it's only 4-people; three if you exclude their rap element.

I agree: even a 2-people band is good, with 3 being "standard", and like many here, I don't believe band size really matter... too bad he still does not believe that. That's why I need to figure out how to tell him that you only need 3, but he don't know any North American bands. (If he doesn, I am sure I don't even have to ask this silly question). If you guys know any chinese and J-rock that is less then five, tell me.

But seriously, I really need to start listening to real local bands in Vancouver, not "J-rock bands who happens to be in Vancouver" that my friends and all the clubs on campus push. I only know of Annethronin, but that's it.

And in case you are wondering I would still help him out: it's just as an experience.
If you're looking for examples that would fit more to his taste, like J-Rock, then here are a few...

L'Arc en Ciel has 4 members. As do Loudness, X Japan, Ellegarden, and Gauze.
Quote by up_the_irons
i perfer a 4 man band...drums, bass, guitar, and a singer who can also play rhythm guitar

Yep. Power trios are good too. And bands with only 1 guitar, drums, bass, and a singer who doesn't play. Keyboards are useful sometimes too. Now that I think about it, I don't really care about the band configuration at all.
Quote by hawking_hole
Avenged Sevenfold is a 5 man band, and so are most metal and thrash bands like arch enemy and testament... you mainly see it in metal bands, more than any other...

Since when are A7X metal?!

Anyway, I'd say any number above 3 is alright...
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I'd prefer a 6 man.
Singer, 2 guitars, bass, keyboards/pianos & drums.

If it's a 5, the singer or 2nd guitarist plays keys.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
There are 5 man bands, yes... but giving preference on size is bulls***. For one, you could get the same sound out of 4 people if the singer plays guitar or bass. I sing and play rhythm guitar for our band, so we're a four-piece, though I've been thinking about adding a dedicated keyboardist. For another... Rush. End story, end discussion, Rush is one of the ultimate power trios. Preference by size is elitist and stupid.
Our band has 4 which i think the perfect amount of people on a social level.

We have guitar (me), bass, drums, and keyboard (who sings)
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
My Band is a trio, but id prefer 4 people, because i have a very hard time singing and playing lead riffs at the same time
Jackson Pc-1
Line 6 Spider III HD 150

I am new to recording, any tips and suggestions are well appreciated check my profile for my original compositions.
Quote by Jestersage
So I was helping out my friend organizing a series of shows, and he decide to give preference to bands that have 5-people. In his opinion, in order one to consider as a full and complete band, it must have a singer, two guitarist (or a guitarist and a keyboard), a bassist, a drummer. He said that the bands he listen to is always full bands.

Now, I am very sure that the current standard size is 3 (guitar, bass, drum), with 4 just as likely... so unless I am missing something here, I really don't know how many bands are 5-people anymore.

I am trying to persuade him to not give preference based on band size, but I need to put out a good argument. Thing is that he listen to Cantopop and J-rock (Actually Chinese, in case you are wondering) and does not listen to "western" music, and I do not know any good J-rock that is less than 5 people. So can anyone help me build up an argument?

there isnt really a standard but 3-5 is pretty common for bands. more less doesnt make them more or less complete. bands like cream and the jimi hendrix experience had 3 people and they sounded awesome just like that. although sometimes its nice to have more people because then you can have more options for live shows. often the 3 piece bands have multiple guitar parts or add in other intsruments in the studio but live they will sound so different because its down to the 3 basics. which actually can sound really good too. like with cream or hendrix their live versions usually sound better than the studio and they only have the three parts(plus vocals).
Quote by Jestersage
Probably just too much lead, considering that he, like many chinese in Vancouver, don't really integrate well with the local culture.

Dude. They are the local culture.
the size of the band totally doesn't matter....whatever works for the band is fine. but generally when you get over 5 it becomes hard to keep everyone together.
Quote by Jestersage

It doesnt matter how many people man, as long as it sounds good, why count heads? My band consists of only me and my drummer, yet we sound as full as any other band because I do vocals and guitar, and he does drums and vocals, and a backing track provides the orchestral scores to back us up.

Tell him not to be so ignorant and make sure the music is good before he sets a "bandmate" minimum