I posted something about my Epiphone Alleykat a while back, but nobody answered. Regardless, this is about the same guitar.

I read once that SRV switched the bridge and neck pickups on his Strat. Regardless of whether or not that's true, anyone know what it'll sound like? Depending upon the answer, I may try this.
I read that way back when, strat pickups were all the same, but in modern guitars, the output of pickups is calibrated depending on the position it's designed for.

If the pickups have compensated outputs, then swapping the neck and bridge pups will result in a weak tinny tone from the bridge, and a fat, perhaps overly muddy tone in the neck.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
don't do it, it wont sound right due to the way teh pickups are meant to pick up, thats why tehres 2 pickups, neck and bridge style for pretty much every pickup out there, as for middle pickups i have no idea what those are considered as
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
I read that way back when, strat pickups were all the same, but in modern guitars, the output of pickups is calibrated depending on the position it's designed for.

If the pickups have compensated outputs, then swapping the neck and bridge pups will result in a weak tinny tone from the bridge, and a fat, perhaps overly muddy tone in the neck.
I should clarify - I wasn't going to switch them. I was basically going to have two bridge pickups. The plan for pickups at the moment is a Seymour Duncan SH-2 or SH-4 on the bridge, and a SM-2 minihumbucker on the neck. I was just curious as to what a bridge mini would sound like if you placed it on the neck.
Quote by Flying Couch
I should clarify - I wasn't going to switch them. I was basically going to have two bridge pickups. The plan for pickups at the moment is a Seymour Duncan SH-2 or SH-4 on the bridge, and a SM-2 minihumbucker on the neck. I was just curious as to what a bridge mini would sound like if you placed it on the neck.

I just know that it would have a much higher output than normal. Consequently, you might be able to get away with having it set much further way from the strings than usual, and that could do something for the dynamics.

I haven't actually done this to any of my own guitars before so I can't really help you as far as actual timbre.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Wrong. The positions have no bearing on how they "pickup".

I'm sorry, but you're the one who's wrong here. Ever notice how the neck position of a guitar sounds different than the bridge position?

The strings vibrate much more over the neck pickup than the bridge pickup. This makes the neck position naturally louder, and bassier than the bridge pickup. To combat this, neck pickups are usually made to have less output than a bridge pickup so the bridge pickup will make the lesser vibrations louder.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Right, look at the impedance of the pickups. Neck pickups almost always have less resistance than bridge pickups.

Typical would be 14K in the bridge and 10K in the neck for a hot set of pickups. This means the bridge will be loud enough to keep up with the neck. If you put two 14K's in, it will not balance well.

If you pay attention to the impedance levels, you could match two bridge pickups... so long as one is a noticeable amount hotter than the other. (and the hotter is placed in the bridge on your guitar)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Im running two emg-81's and i like the way it sounds. Mark Morton runs two SH-59's, Kirk runs two 81's, and Dime flipped a pickup completely around to achieve his sound.. I say give it a try it wont hurt anything... and it might be the perfect sound your looking for..
experimentation is the spice of life.

I wouldn't dare mention this to my wife though...
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)