This is what happens when the mainstream gets a hold of artists. Jeff buckley's name is now soiled because "that dreadlock guy" from american idol sang "Hallelujah." Anyone else as annoyed as I am?
he wasnt some SECRET only a few people knew about.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
i absolutely CANNOT stand how in like, a million movies sh*t singers sig Somebody To Love by Queen, and destroy it. Happy Feet? Ella Enchanted? their mouths do not deserve to form Freddy's words.
gosh *rants*
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated
Quote by Gnomestar
Hallelujah isnt even Jeff buckelys song...

we have a winnar!
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by Gnomestar
Hallelujah isnt even Jeff buckelys song...

+1

If anything, this "dreadlock guy" (I don't watch American Idol) is "soiling" Leonard Cohen's name.
Quote by Thea.<3
i absolutely CANNOT stand how in like, a million movies sh*t singers sig Somebody To Love by Queen, and destroy it. Happy Feet? Ella Enchanted? their mouths do not deserve to form Freddy's words.
gosh *rants*

Isn't that a Jefferson Airplane song?

o_O
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
i seriously love leonard cohen. does anyone know bird on a wire?
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated
Quote by fallenangel20

o_O

Yes and no.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by fallenangel20

o_O
No, but they also have a song called that.
Ummm, wasn't Hallelujah in the mainstream with Shrek first? I mean that is where I originally heard it. So yeah good job.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by StreetLight3989
He actually did quite a good job on it. I mean the song was already in Shrek.

I agree.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by StreetLight3989
He actually did quite a good job on it. I mean the song was already in Shrek.

That was the Rufus Wainwright version, though.

I don't think I've heard the Jeff Buckley version on a movie or anything. =/

In fact the only other time I've heard that song in the media, other than Shrek, was Scrubs, and that was John Cale.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I heard that he did it rather well.
Besides, you can't soil Jeff Buckley's name. Whatever he did, he made it his own and I'm sure he would be honored that anyone would be inspired to cover his rendition of a song, or one of his own songs.
IMHO, Jeff Buckley was so awesome that no one can ruin what he accomplished no matter what because they will never be able to do it as well as he. He's one of my favorite performers/songwriters, and it's a damn shame that he died so young. More people should be exposed to him and his music.
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
Quote by II Chives II
This is what happens when the mainstream gets a hold of artists. Jeff buckley's name is now soiled because "that dreadlock guy" from american idol sang "Hallelujah." Anyone else as annoyed as I am?

No. And you're a tool for thinking something is bad just because more people discover it.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
I think it's a good thing when good artists get publicity...o_O I mean, the more people that discover Buckley, the more that will be able to appriciate him and what he did for music.

Plus, that's not even a Buckley song.
Quote by fallenangel20
That was the Rufus Wainwright version, though.

I don't think I've heard the Jeff Buckley version on a movie or anything. =/

In fact the only other time I've heard that song in the media, other than Shrek, was Scrubs, and that was John Cale.

i heard it on that show cold case before that movie. first time i heard it, it was great.
i need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
Jason Castro (dreadlock guy) did an amazing job singing Hallelujah. It was a great performance. He in no way soiled Buckley's name. (even though he didn't originally write it)
If anything, I would really like to hear a full cover of the song by Jason.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by fallenangel20

That's one of my favorite episodes

/random

Who cares? Jeff Buckley is dead
Quote by Thea.<3
i seriously love leonard cohen. does anyone know bird on a wire?

That man is a genius. Im actually listening to him right now. How creepy is that...
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
My question isn't why you're outraged about something so stupid, but more along the lines of...
Why were you watching American Idol?
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by dmc_74_usa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmyL9Op1yXU

I think he did a great job.

He really did a good job. Even if he looks like a moron. I would say his version was much more Cohen-esque than the Buckley version.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by Yikes
I think it's a good thing when good artists get publicity...o_O I mean, the more people that discover Buckley, the more that will be able to appriciate him and what he did for music.

Plus, that's not even a Buckley song.

Yeah! Now Jeff can finally get rich.

..Oh wait.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
So THAT explains it! I'm sure some others have noticed this but in the last week or so his version of "Hallelujah" has become the most popular song on iTunes.. Which is something that struck me as kind of odd when you consider that The Grace came out in 1994..
I actually saw that episode... my girlfriend put it on TV... and I thought he was ok, and was possibly the best person I had seen on american idol... aside from ruben studard
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
KD Lang's version of Hallelujah is better IMO

and cohen is an amazing songwriter, but a horrifying singer

I don't really like Buckleys stuff, it's just nothing special
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.