Page 1 of 2
i know this is probably in the wrong section but i dont know where else to put it but...

i was wondering if anyone knew of any good jam bands? if so could you list them or point me in the right direction to finding it on the forums atleast.

thanks
Phish, String Cheese Incidient, Sound Tribe Sector 9, The New Deal.

Of course, the Grateful Dead.

I suggest you check out nugs.net for a big archive of live jam shows.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Umphrey's Mcgee
Tea Leaf Green
Disco Biscuits
Phish
Gov't Mule (not really jam but w/e)
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
string cheese incident is a good one
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
modest mouse all the way. but just the old stuff (pre good news for people who love badnews)
liquid tension experiment

bela fleck and the flecktones!!!

the mahasivnu orchestra (spell?)
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by h-fed
modest mouse all the way. but just the old stuff (pre good news for people who love badnews)

Modest Mouse used to be jam? I never would've expected it.
Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. Not sure if it's jam but it has no definition.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
Gov't Mule (pretty awesome, my band's drummer [he's only 16] is going to play a 2-3 song set with them at Mountain Jam this year)
phish, SCI, disco biscuits, umphrey's mcgee, moe., Gov't mule, Grateful Dead, sound tribe sector 9, check out solo Trey Anastasio, Benevento/Russo Duo, Allman Bros, Tractorbeam (Disco Biscuits w/o vocals)...

wiki jam bands for teh über list
Railroad Earth
Umphrey's McGee
String Cheese Incident
Disco Biscuits
Dispatch
Perpetual Groove
all the good bands have already been said\

widespread panic
string cheese incident
allman brothers
dave mathews

I cannot stress the importance of the grateful dead. One of the best BANDS PERIOD!!!!

Go buy live/dead. NOW
Quote by frottage
is jam just improv?

Jam is an improvised journey in the music, when the song goes somewhere unplanned and uncharted.

Jam is a philosophy, and jam is the rawest form of rock music.
Umphrey's McGhee
STS9
Phish
Grateful Dead
Tea Leaf Green
I'd go as far as to say Vampire Weekend
Widespread Panic
Disco Biscuits
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

In addition to the ones that have been said look up Brother's Past. And a ton of psychedelic bands from the 60's were technically jam bands like Santana and the Doors and Jimi Hendrix. Good luck with the greatest music ever.
Mars volta ftw.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
this girl that used to go to school with me has a brother in a band called the wandering foolz i believe. they are on myspace and theyre pretty good if you ask me. theyre from wisconsin i think.

the wandering foolz....
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Modest Mouse used to be jam? I never would've expected it.

hell ya! they still do at the live shows. (20+ min. version of spitting venom) almost every song on the cd "This is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about" has a jam in it.
Quote by superunknown
The Mars Volta.

Watch these videos;
they are all parts of the same concert but I would recommend starting with part 2.

If my memory is correct then part 1 is just a lot of noise.

part 1

part 2

part 3

Ah, Abortion: The Other White Meat. Unbelievable. I've always wanted to go to one of their live shows.

I gotta show my bandmates some of these bands... they seem to think O.A.R. is the definition of "jam band".
Phish
Umphrey's McGee (must check them out)
Moe
Gov't Mule
Allman Brothers
Perpetual Groove (must check them out)
Dispatch
The Disco Biscuits
Blues Traveler
Well, life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get runover or you might get shot
galactic
moe
umphrey's mcgee
the breakfast
u melt
dispatch
blues traveler
spin doctors
john butler trio
g love and the special sauce
blue hawaiians
matisyahu (when live they jam)
mountain
O.A.R.

go to archive.org and download whole concerts by jam bands
Santana, bro!
Quote by by metallicafan616

is pent scale just

-5-7-
-5-7-
-5-8-
-5-7-
-5-7-
-5-8-

phail
Quote by 4e574e57363g

and how the fuck do i treat ant bites on my dickhead?!?
Quote by Ultraturtle0
Ah, Abortion: The Other White Meat. Unbelievable. I've always wanted to go to one of their live shows.

I gotta show my bandmates some of these bands... they seem to think O.A.R. is the definition of "jam band".

You say that as if O.A.R. is bad.

But in all honestly threadstarter, no. There's actually NO good jam bands.
Quote by KetchupLad14
You say that as if O.A.R. is bad.

But in all honestly threadstarter, no. There's actually NO good jam bands.

I never said O.A.R. is bad. What I meant was that there's a whole variety of improvisational bands out there, and my mates really can't see past the easily approachable ones.

But on a related note, I'm addicted to Umphrey's McGee now.
They've all pretty much been said but:

Umphrey's Mcgee
Tea Leaf Green
Allman Brothers Band
Phish

plus many many more
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
For those who are really into the dead, I was really surprised by the jamming in Ryan Adams live show... two guitars, a lap steel, a bass, and a drummer. Although his albums tend to roll in a completely different direction, the live shows demonstrate that he's clearly locked up with his band.

This is a show he played in Columbus, Ohio, my hometown, in October of last year -- it was a 3.5hr+ show, with 40-some songs, great energy, and probably one of the best shows I've been to.

http://www.archive.org/details/radams2007-10-25.sbd.flac16

Anyway, the first two songs have some decent jams in there, nothing too crazy ridiculous (definitely not as frenetic as TMV or Bela) but Ryan is a really good songwriter so enjoy.
Quote by Ultraturtle0
I never said O.A.R. is bad. What I meant was that there's a whole variety of improvisational bands out there, and my mates really can't see past the easily approachable ones.

But on a related note, I'm addicted to Umphrey's McGee now.

OAR and DMB to me have been so overplayed that I want to kill myself. OAR is from Columbus where I live and all the fratboys love it... I'm really REALLY sick of it.
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 21, 2008,
Page 1 of 2