WOOT ME!

I get to go shop for a new amp tommorow. I figure after a year of playing I deserve to upgrade my Cube 15. I've posted in the forum earlier to get a suggestion for a good mid range metal amp to try and the B-52 AT series seems to be the hands down winner. I am getting to play a VK, a 6505/5150, and a Rolland RG.

Any other suggestions to try out? I'm hitting the 3 biggest stores in Evansville, IN.
I pretty much only play metal and have a $500 budget. Thank you Mastercard.

Oh, and can anyone suggest a kind of easy metal song to learn tonight too? I'm sittin here cleanin up some chops to play in the stores tommorow.

And just to spice the thread up, When did you get your first "REAL" amp?
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Question 1: No idea. I'm more of a blues guy myself. Perhaps a Mesa (if there is one, you know, just for shits and giggles, since it's out of your budget )

Question 2: The Metal ? Na, jk. Umm, how bout "Seek and Destroy" from good 'ol Metallica? It's pretty easy.....

Question 3: This Christmas.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
It's a Randall RG50TC. Not Roland.

The 6505/5150 combo used is in that price range and is perfect for your style.

EDIT: Didn't realize you wanted a song as well. Seek and Destroy and Enter Sandman are fairly easy songs to learn.

I wish I did that because when ever I go into a music store I forget everything I know. When I was shopping for my guitar all I could play were sweeps and MOP.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Mar 10, 2008,
I think everyone on these forums will agree with me here, I recommend that you but a Marshall Mg series or a spider III, these amps enjoy a great reputation, and deserve all of it.

/sarcasm...
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

EDIT: Didn't realize you wanted a song as well. Seek and Destroy and Enter Sandman are fairly easy songs to learn.

I wish I did that because when ever I go into a music store I forget everything I know. When I was shopping for my guitar all I could play were sweeps and MOP.

Same here man. It always ends up being Zep or AC/DC. Sometimes Pink Floyd.

I did break out Lenny today at GC though *cheers*.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I hate trying out amps at stores. Its just so awkward, unless you're actually good, or you think your good and think the people in the store can actually hear you/care. I can play some decent stuff but it just feels awkward. I had this guy at a local music store sit beside me while I played. I just like did chugga chugga to check out the distortion.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

Thanks for all of the awesome responses so far.

This is the Randall RG100 ES i'm looking for. It's the old Dimebag one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120229614184&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I totally forgot about "Seek and Destroy" and "Enter Sandman". I can relearn those riffs in no time.

Quote by mike.h
I hate trying out amps at stores. Its just so awkward, unless you're actually good, or you think your good and think the people in the store can actually hear you/care. I can play some decent stuff but it just feels awkward. I had this guy at a local music store sit beside me while I played. I just like did chugga chugga to check out the distortion.

Well, I usually get that too, but I've been working on curing that stage fright. I'm going with a friend who has been playing like 5 years. So his playing will cover my slop lol. I hope I don't forget licks too and freeze up. I really want to test some stuff. I'm hoping at 1pm the stores will be empty and we can crank the amps and really try them out.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
i unfortunatly am still stuck with a crate 15 watter peice of ****. hopefully ill get a nice little blues jr soon tho

and TS im glad to see that this didnt turn out to be one of those "i played for 3 months so mommy and daddy are paying for a 4000 dollar guitar" you seem to have a real sense of the worth of a dollar ( or whichever currency u use, u get the expression)
if you are interested in the AT 112 after testing a bunch of stuff out, Im willing to part with mine for $400
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by nt1440
i unfortunatly am still stuck with a crate 15 watter peice of ****. hopefully ill get a nice little blues jr soon tho

and TS im glad to see that this didnt turn out to be one of those "i played for 3 months so mommy and daddy are paying for a 4000 dollar guitar" you seem to have a real sense of the worth of a dollar ( or whichever currency u use, u get the expression)

Thanks man!

I am 26 and have been broke and Relatively rich both in my lifetime ehehehhe.

Thank you again Mastercard and Visa for allowing me to upgrade.

elchico04:

I may take you up on that offer. I'm looking at an AT212 for $300 though.......... so I may be in touch if that deal doesn't go through.

P.S. Just dug up those 2 tabs online ehhehhe and off to playing.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
^^ haha cool, i`m gonna be 26 at the end of the month, i kinda bought my b-day present early for myself LOL and i`ve been playin alittle over a year for real anyway. LOL

when did i get my 1st REAL amp... TODAY!!! YAY!!, it`s awesome, good luck finding your new amp

and as for a song, if you wanna blow them away... Angel of Death Slayer.
lol i had no idea TS was 26, my post seems kinda silly now considering im 16, but hey, i still stand by it
woah! $300 for the 2x12 that guy is either crazy or the amp is in pieces. good luck with it.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by Slayerdeath
^^ haha cool, i`m gonna be 26 at the end of the month, i kinda bought my b-day present early for myself LOL and i`ve been playin alittle over a year for real anyway. LOL

when did i get my 1st REAL amp... TODAY!!! YAY!!, it`s awesome, good luck finding your new amp

and as for a song, if you wanna blow them away... Angel of Death Slayer.

Grats on the sweet arse Marshall! I'm jealous of your Kerry King like tones hehehehe.

I played through a JCM head and 1/2 stack at a Sam Ash a few months ago. Wish I could have got it above 3 Hehehehhe.

When I finally graduate Purdue and get out into the field I'm totally going to splurge on gear lol. As for Angel of Death...................... Give me a few years lol. It seems that raining blood would be easier. I at least know the rhythm part to south of heaven to add a little slayer to my repitour.

elchico04:

Yeah, I'm skeptical too. I am giving them a call as a last resort if I do not find anything tomorrow.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
B-52 is great, should be what you want if you can get it used (I think they're a bit over your budget new, aren't they?) Please don't play Enter Sandman, you'll just piss people off and end up getting a worse deal. Seek And Destroy is better, but I bet I'm not the only one who finds that riff/song to be really annoying.

I like to use a few of the riffs from Fade To Black (the distorted ones, but the clean ones are good if you wanna try out the amp's clean mode). Nice and easy, and sounds good.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
OHHHH South of heaven is a CLASSIC Slayer song.. one of my favs, i LOVE playing it. and ya... i LOVE my Marshall, i`m getting to the Slayer tones slowly but surely.

if you run across a used JCM900 PLAY IT LOL.... really consider it if it`s in your price range.

EDIT.. i got the song for you... ready...

Slayer, Seasons in the Abyss, the intro is awesome wicked riffs and a nice clean part to test the amps clean and i don`t think you`d have to worry about pissing people off with over used riffs, LOL
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by Slayerdeath
OHHHH South of heaven is a CLASSIC Slayer song.. one of my favs, i LOVE playing it. and ya... i LOVE my Marshall, i`m getting to the Slayer tones slowly but surely.

if you run across a used JCM900 PLAY IT LOL.... really consider it if it`s in your price range.

EDIT.. i got the song for you... ready...

Slayer, Seasons in the Abyss, the intro is awesome riffs and a nice clean part to test the amps clean and i don`t think you`d have to worry about pissing people off with over used riffs, LOL

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=104582183

There is the store i'm going too. If It's hooked up, I'll have to fiddle with it. If you check out their other stuff, you'll see my new DOD EQ pedal for $20 hehehe.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
HAHA OMG man, thats what i bought thats my new amp, it`s AWESOME. if your into Thrash metal... that amp is the next best thing to a JCM800

i say buy it if you can.
Quote by Slayerdeath
HAHA OMG man, thats what i bought thats my new amp, it`s AWESOME. if your into Thrash metal... that amp is the next best thing to a JCM800

i say buy it if you can.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneone

Lend me an extra $400 for the head and another $300 for a cab and I'll buy it hahahhahahaha.

I really wish I could afford that kind of quality, but realistically my skill isn't worthy of such a beauty. I think a midranged tube combo is right where I'm at right now.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneone

Lend me an extra $400 for the head and another $300 for a cab and I'll buy it hahahhahahaha.

I really wish I could afford that kind of quality, but realistically my skill isn't worthy of such a beauty. I think a midranged tube combo is right where I'm at right now.

You could always try to find the combo version.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR it's 7:30 AM and I woke up cause I was so excited. Going to be a long day................

I didn't know they made a combo in the JCM series. Guess I'll keep my eyes open.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
Thanks for all of the awesome responses so far.

This is the Randall RG100 ES i'm looking for. It's the old Dimebag one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120229614184&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I totally forgot about "Seek and Destroy" and "Enter Sandman". I can relearn those riffs in no time.

Well, I usually get that too, but I've been working on curing that stage fright. I'm going with a friend who has been playing like 5 years. So his playing will cover my slop lol. I hope I don't forget licks too and freeze up. I really want to test some stuff. I'm hoping at 1pm the stores will be empty and we can crank the amps and really try them out.

Didn't Dimebag use a Warhead?
Quote by jewbaby667
GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR it's 7:30 AM and I woke up cause I was so excited. Going to be a long day................

I didn't know they made a combo in the JCM series. Guess I'll keep my eyes open.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Marshall+JCM+combo&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch

Oh man, that seems pretty sweet, but it is just out of my price range. If that JCM900 head is hooked up, I'll play it and see if it's worth saving up the extra money. I do have my heart set on a B-52 though. I'm looking for a more modern style metal sound over an old school Marshall distortion.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by nonamemark
Didn't Dimebag use a Warhead?

Dime used the RG100ES. But, i am pretty sure the Warhead is his signature amp, but im not 100% sure, and i think i have seen him using the Warhead(at least the cabs).
Dude. Don't worry about what people think. Yesterday I came in and there was some kid playing Smells like teen spirit on a Gibby LP std. W/e you know, it's not liek anyone's gonna come up to you and tell you ****. Play what you want.

Make sure you shop around. Don't buy the first one you land on. Maybe look into used amps, you'll get something slightly better for your money.
WOOHOO I GOT SUCH AN AMAZING DEAL!

I have to thank the people on these boards for steering me in the right direction. I had no clue what a B-52 was before I asked here. I'll give a quick review of everything I tried first then I will tell about what I got. So, go straight to the bottom if you want to see the goods hehe.

Crate VTX200:
http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/CrateVTX200S.html

Ever heard of these? Yeah, me either. The GC guy plugged it in and said don't look at the sticker. It was 3 channels and sounded really bright and punchy for a solid state amp. This amp looks like a cheap version of a boutique fender type amp, but both distortion channels could crunch AND chug. I almost bought this amp, good thing I looked around more. It was $899 sticker and he was knocking it down to $450 because of a loose footswitch jack. I'm an engineer so it would take 5 minutes to resolder. I was looking for a little more warmth and didn't need all of the effects. This will be an amazing buy for someone else though.

Randall RG100:

I couldn't find a link for this amp. It was a pretty sweet combo. 100W solid state, two gain channels, 2x12. This amp was a brute in the gain dept. I really liked the way this thing snarled. Again though, it didn't have the warm, punchy tube characteristic I was looking for. It was also $500 and I couldn't see paying that much for this amp. Great amp, just not what I wanted.

Raven RG100:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG100-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-104622717-i1385074.gc

I'll have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the metalness of this amp. The 2x12's really pushed some air and it had a good chug to it. I kind of didn't like the tone, but my buddy was really digging on this amp. He picked it up for $255 with tax. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Peavey Classic 30:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

This amp was pretty sweet for an all around amp. I guess I didn't tell the salesman exactly what I wanted. Got a schweet classic rock, AC/DC tone out of it and a nice blues sound, but no brootz. I've read good things about this amp, but I couldn't recommend it for metal.

This same store was a Mesa dealer. They let me touch a few recs, a lonestar, a mark IV, and a 550 combo. They knew I didn't have the cash to blow so they wouldn't let me break windows with them. They were also a PRS and ESP dealership. They had more high end toys than a BMW dealership.

Various other slops I played through:

Played a Marshall MG just for giggles. Everyone is dead on. This thing is a clunker for the money. I couldn't stand the VOX ADVT series. I am not a huge fan of modeling amps. It's better than any Line 6 by far, just not great sounding to my ears. There was one of the Kerry King new sig practice amps that I really laughed at. He says he plays it before every show to warm up on, but I've also been told that Iraq had weapons of mass distruction. I played 2 B-52 AT212's. One was busted and there was no gain. I had both gain knobs cranked, on the right channel, and on Class A. Im guessing the tubes were done in. The other combo sounded like a speaker was blown. I had the bass up kinda high and low res about halfway. This almost made me not try the AT100 head sitting next to the combos, but thank god I did.

****AND FINALLY FOLKS****

The GC salesman haggled with me forever and I got him down to $550 for a B-52 AT100 Head and Peavey XXl 4x12 cab. I know this is about 75 watts and 3 12" speakers more than I need, but I couldn't pass this crazy deal up. I repeat, I bought way too much amp.

This amp is B R 0 0 T 4 L Z!?!?!!

The first gain channel is enough. The second gain channel really puts this amp over to recto-like tones. It is true when they say this is the poor man's Mesa. The GC salesman even cranked it to 5 in the store and let me play through it. I was sold when I got people behind me throwin up the horns and headbanging to Crystal Mountain.

I just want to thank everyone again for helping me find the right amp. Only gear I need for a LONG, LONG, LONG time is an ISP Decimator. Now my playing needs to catch up to my gear. Speaking of which, I'm off to practice now.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
^Awesome, have fun with your new amp. I recently bought a Carvin Quad and am now on the lookout for a better head, probably a Laney VH100R hopefully.
i still heven gotten my first amp..... ist bein made... for metal ud say probabley u have some of the best to look at from ur list exept mesa.... those are just ****in amazeing..... but pricy
of course it sounded awesome, you were playing crystal mountain!

word of caution though. It was the same story when I was trying out the B-52s. I played the floor model and it sounded good so I asked them to get me a new one from the back. They pulled out 3 different ones. One didn't turn on. One didn't make any sound, i forget about the other one. So I ended up buying the floor model.

At one point my amp started going all crazy and distorted everything so I had to take it to a tech to get it repaired. It was under warranty so it was no biggie.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Last edited by elchico04 at Mar 13, 2008,