I might be getting a new guitar soon, I'm looking into Ibanez because I've heard some nice things and I've seen quite a few around the local music store. The problem is, most Ibanezes these days have an Edge III Tremolo Bridge, which Wears out, scratches, and un-tunes your guitars easily.

My question is, is the problem with the whole bridge, or just the tremolo? Because I never use the tremolo in my current guitar and figured that it doesn't matter what tremolo I get if I don't use it anyway.
Last edited by Enigmers at Mar 10, 2008,
If you don't use the tremolo, then get a guitar WITHOUT a tremolo and make your life easier.

Of course, if you do get the guitar with the tremolo, you could block the tremolo. This should prevent it from going out of tune. As for the knife edges, if you're not using then then they shouldn't really matter.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Obviously if I CAN get one without a tremolo, I will, but the place is having a "moving sale," so I'm not sure if they're gonna have everything in stock by the time I can go out and try some stuff out.

What do you mean by "blocking" the tremolo? wedging something in between the bridge and body to prevent it from moving around?
Quote by Enigmers
Obviously if I CAN get one without a tremolo, I will, but the place is having a "moving sale," so I'm not sure if they're gonna have everything in stock by the time I can go out and try some stuff out.

What do you mean by "blocking" the tremolo? wedging something in between the bridge and body to prevent it from moving around?

Exactly! There is one company that makes something called a "Tremol-no", which converts a tremolo into a hardtail. You can also cut a block of wood to wedge like you have suggested to keep the bridge from moving. I think steven seagull had something on that recently, like a tutorial.
Yeah, you'd normally put a piece of wood in the back cavity between the tremolo block and the guitar body.

Or you could remove the trem, glue in a block of wood in the trem cavity, and install an ordinary hardtail bridge, as in this tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Apart from wedging the tremolo or replacing the bridge, can I just pull the tremolo out like I could with my Strat rip-off guitar?
The tremolo IS the bridge - not just the bar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh, whoops. Then what I mean is, can you pull the bar out?

thanks for correcting me btw.
^Yes. But why would you want to do that if you've got a trem equipped guitar! It's there for a reason, and that reason is to be wanked on. (With the arm, not literally.)
Quote by Enigmers
Oh, whoops. Then what I mean is, can you pull the bar out?

thanks for correcting me btw.

You can, but the whole problem with the Edge 3 trem isn't a very good bridge full-stop. If you're not planning on using the trem anyways then you're much better off with a hard tail.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
actually, if it's set up right it should be fine. my rg370 has an edge 3, and I have been doing divebombs, pullling up the bar as high as it can, and it hasn't gone out of tune. maybe it's just the way my guitar shop guy sets it up, but it isn't that bad of a bridge.
Gear for now:
Ibanez RG370DX
Line 6 Spider III 30
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by rocker138
Quote by frozen_soul
umm stank puss? im not a man of "blackspeak" if someone would care to elaborate lol

Her vajayjay don't smell okaykay