Page 1 of 2
Posted By: Deadagain6561
what can i use to make my Line 6 amp sound and feel like a tube amp

A sledgehammer, 1000$ cash, and a trip to guitar center.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Last edited by evilbeaver22 at Mar 10, 2008,
Tubes!

Seriously, the best you'll be able to do is buy a distortion pedal with a tube pre-amp in it. And even then it's not the same.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Just take a shit on it. What does that accomplish, you ask? It will smell so bad that you won't wanna go near it to unleash the suck of tone that comes from it. You will thank me later for this great suggestion...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by evilbeaver22

+468073560346958656..and a half.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Buy a pair of tubes, tape them on. That's as close as you'll get to making it sound like a tube amp.

Just buy a tube amp, there's nothing like the original organic tube tone.
Quote by evilbeaver22

+1 but f*ck guitar center, order from ebay or musiciansfriend
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Step 1. Sell solid state amp.
Step 2. Purchase all tube amp.
Step 3. Shred to hearts content.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Unfortunately, unless it's an HD-147 or Vetta it's not going to sound like a tube amp. Still then, only the HD-147 feels like a tube amp.

Yet, it's $1,200 new. + the $300 footswitch...

You'd be in the used Mesa Boogie range, which gives off a slightly better tone in what tones they share. I still like the HD-147 and am still considering the addition of it to my collection... after a Diezel VH4.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by deadagain6591
what can i use to make my Line 6 amp sound and feel like a tube amp

Plus, it's a line 6, so he's not only trying to do the impossible, but he's trying to do it with the most digital crap there is.

SS can't sound like tubes, Why do you think they're cheap? Because they don't glow?

If someone cracked this mystery, Mesa would **** themselves.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by deadagain6591
how much could i get for a line 6 flextone XL?

Take a look around Ebay and compare the condition of your amp to the used ones on there, is usually a good way to start.

Edit:
Sorry, my previous post sounded rather mean.
It wasn't meant that way.
Quote by -Collapse-
Plus, it's a line 6, so he's not only trying to do the impossible, but he's trying to do it with the most digital crap there is.

have you even tried any other line 6 product?
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
harmonic converger before the power stage
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by SG6578
+1 but f*ck guitar center, order from ebay or musiciansfriend

You do know that Musiansfriend is owned by the same people as GC right...
I dont know how many companies have tried the make SS sound like tubes. It just cant be done. All the modeling in the world wont change it. Only way to have tube sound is to have tubes. And unfortunatly tubes cost alot more than SS. And apparently spider or any modelling digital amp doesnt like pedals so that wont help much. Keep your spider as a practice amp and save some cash for a decent combo tube amp. But dont waste any money trying to change the laws of the universe trying to make SS sound just like a tube.
Quote by Tackleberry
I dont know how many companies have tried the make SS sound like tubes. It just cant be done. All the modeling in the world wont change it. Only way to have tube sound is to have tubes. And unfortunatly tubes cost alot more than SS. And apparently spider or any modelling digital amp doesnt like pedals so that wont help much. Keep your spider as a practice amp and save some cash for a decent combo tube amp. But dont waste any money trying to change the laws of the universe trying to make SS sound just like a tube.

Actally, I think in terms of straightly line level and preamp, it is completely possible, at least in analog realm, using FET transistor; one reason why the original Rockman... rocks. And as I research on super champ XD, I really have to say that I really cannot believe that it is a modeling amp (not counting the effects), so this prove that given good digital modelling, one can replace the preamp section with solid state.

Unfortunately, power section modeling is still a long time away, if it will ever comes.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Im sorry but its just not possible.

Are you talking about power amp modeling (which I agree) or preamp modelling (which I really really can't differntiate)?
Quote by Jestersage
Are you talking about power amp modeling (which I agree) or preamp modelling (which I really really can't differntiate)?

The spider can mimic a half decent ss marshall tone..but

It doesn't take an engineering degree to understand that a spider can not
sound like a tube. I should know...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
A spider will always sound like a spider no matter what you do.

IMO the only SS that comes close to getting a tube sound is a valvetronix, but that has a tube pre amp
+1

to the sell it and get a tube amp..

But if you have to keep it there is a wah pedal trick with a stack of quarters. Just gotta find the right spot mark it and put a stack of quarters to stop the pedal from going past that point..
^Oh, I haven't got Spider, and never plan to. I am refering to the Super Champ XD that is one of my future possible option. (Though it's a hybrid, so...)
Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1

to the sell it and get a tube amp..

But if you have to keep it there is a wah pedal trick with a stack of quarters. Just gotta find the right spot mark it and put a stack of quarters to stop the pedal from going past that point..

+1
I forgot all about the wah trick..lol.
Oh ..yeah..Don't get rid of your pedals. You would be surprised.
My Ibanez DS7 was in the bargain bin at a local guitar shop. I payed
less than 10 bucks for it. It was crap and Basically just a paper weight.
After I put it in front of a tube amp it became one of my favorite pedals ever.
Don't waste the money to try and improve your spider. Just save up and
get a new amp. If its all you can afford its okay...but trust us..You can
spend half the value of a great tube amp by buying pedals with tubes and
all that other stuff. Some of us made that same mistake.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by MESAexplorer
Unfortunately, unless it's an HD-147 or Vetta it's not going to sound like a tube amp. Still then, only the HD-147 feels like a tube amp.

Yet, it's $1,200 new. + the $300 footswitch...

You'd be in the used Mesa Boogie range, which gives off a slightly better tone in what tones they share. I still like the HD-147 and am still considering the addition of it to my collection... after a Diezel VH4.

You're forgetting the best modeller of them all!

The Hughes and Kettner ZenTera! Of course, that amps in the 3K range...
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
You're forgetting the best modeller of them all!

The Hughes and Kettner ZenTera! Of course, that amps in the 3K range...

I don't ever mention it because for $3,000, you'd be better off with a cornford, used diezel, bruno, roccaforte, or other ultra high end handmade boutique tube amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
tube pre amp?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
tube pre amp?

...would do nothing. "Tube tone" comes from the power amp.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
...would do nothing. "Tube tone" comes from the power amp.

from what I know Your tube sound *break up, ect* comes from the pre-amp *Hence why some people hate the valve spyder, also why some amps have a master volume (crank the pre amp and set the master volume on low for practice/jam situations)
feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Last edited by edge11 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by edge11
from what I know Your tube sound *break up, ect* comes from the pre-amp *Hence why some people hate the valve spyder, also why some amps have a master volume (crank the pre amp and set the master volume on low for practice/jam situations)
feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

most tube amps that have a master volume have it so that you can achieve a distorted tone at low volumes, but this distorted tone will be noting compared to how it will sound when the master volume is cranked.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Now the flextone sounds good, but it wont sound like a tube amp UNLESS you try this:

Take out all the transistors and pull the legs off them.
buy the appropriate amount of tubes, poweramp and pre-amp.
Glue the legs of the transistors onto the bottom of the tubes.
Put them back where they where.

I ASSURE you, that will work.

If you actually do this i will not be responsible for you ruining your amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
don't. try to make it sound good. don't try and tap into this whole valve mystique. just try and get a good tone. thats all you ever need to do...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I love how everyone instantly assumed he has a Spider.

The Flextone III isn't a bad sounding amp at all. It's still not a tube, but it's nowhere near as horrible as the Spiders. If you really aren't satisfied with it, then try to sell it (you should be able to get a decent amount) and buy a real tube amp, maybe something from Laney.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Here is the closest you will come without putting out a lot of money or pulling your hair out:
Get a good tubey sounding distortion unit (I recommend the Danelectro Daddy-O) and use it on the clean channel, if possible bypass all the modeling settings or find the cleanest one and use it.
Later when you can afford it get a tube combo.
Quote by evilbeaver22

funniest thing I've seen all day!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Page 1 of 2