Hunderds of bands have plagiarised the beatles, zeppelin, sabbath etc..why hardly ever floyd?
Last edited by Andreas1 at Mar 10, 2008,
Pink Floyd kicks too much ass.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
1. They are very unique
2. influenced is a better word
3. I'm sure there are some, but i cant think of any now
i need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
Because Floyd from a theory standpoint are way more advanced.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
Because Floyd from a theory standpoint are way more advanced.

breathe compared to stairway or elenor rigby?
pink floyd's lyrics typically told stories. there's really no point in using bits of them when you aren't telling the same story.
Why are so many 08's making so many threads lately?

There are some, but I can't think of any.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Andreas1

Are you kidding me? I don't think Led Zeppelin had any knowledge of theory, and The Beatles definitely didn't. Pink Floyd use fairly complex chords, progressions and structures as well as much more layering, which in turn adds to the complexity of the music (not that this is necessarily good or bad, just true.).
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by brandon369852
Why are so many 08's making so many threads lately?

There are some, but I can't think of any.

08ers FTW

Phail
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Are you kidding me? I don't think Led Zeppelin had any knowledge of theory, and The Beatles definitely didn't. Pink Floyd use fairly complex chords, progressions and structures as well as much more layering, which in turn adds to the complexity of the music (not that this is necessarily good or bad, just true.).

WTF?!?!?!?
Quote by Andreas1
08ers FTW

Phail

actually YOU phail, as he was saying that he can't think of anyone who plagarised pink floyd

I myself am still an awesome 08er, but you just lost your spot.
Quote by pumpkins_rule

having theoretical knowledge is irrelevant as illustrated in my reply to you.
Quote by pumpkins_rule

Actually Harrison was a very accomplished musician.

And the answer to TS is simple, Floyd sucks.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by Andreas1
08ers FTW

Phail

Shut up.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by pumpkins_rule

just because they don't use strange or uncommon chords means they dont have the knowledge?
Quote by i have to pee

what sucks is that you don't understand that not everyone shares your opinion, in fact A LOT of people dont.
Quote by pumpkins_rule

OMG are you seriously that stupid? Page was a sessions player before he was with Zeppelin, he had to know theory for that. John Paul Jones didn't even practice bass, I'd say he knew a fair amount of theory for that.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by i have to pee

no, you think they do. thats your opinion, but it sucks (to me)
Quote by Andreas1

Zeppelin didn't write the riff to stair way, it was "plagurized".
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Andreas1
having theoretical knowledge is irrelevant as illustrated in my reply to you.

No it's not. A complex melody is more difficult to plagiarize than a simple one. Hence why The Beatles are ripped off so much. Led Zeppelin's riffing was very simple as well and Black Sabbath basically just raped the pentatonic scale.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by pumpkins_rule

layering skills =/= theory.
the beatles didn't have formal theory knowledge, but they had a very good ability to combine relatively complex harmonies.
people tend to stumble upon good chords that fit their situations. they don't go "my god, i know exactly what chord and what voicing will be amazing for this song, especially with this vocal harmony" besides, the beatles have used some pretty obscure chords, trust me.
and no, led zeppelin weren't too knowledgeable in more advanced theory, but they knew enough to coordinate some relatively complex pieces, such as the battle of evermore, in the light, kashmir, nobody's fault but mine, etc. which were, although nowhere near the same style as pink floyd, just as complex as many pink floyd songs.
Quote by 12epi345
just because they don't use strange or uncommon chords means they dont have the knowledge?

Actually the real chords used in some Beatles songs have complicated chords. Lennon learned music on a banjo, so his phrasing was a lot different.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
i used to walk around, pretending i knew what was going on, everything was going alright
but then i made a few mistakes, and i got hooked....

on phonics

i recommend HOP to you, TS
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by Andreas1
Hunderds of bands have plagurised the beatles, zeppelin, sabbath etc..why hardly ever floyd?
Because plagiarism is the work of people with little creativity or skills.

the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath do have a few songs with intricacy and nuance. But the ones that have been plagiarized are simpler and more easily and convincingly copied.

Pink Floyd copied sound like shit, unless you have the skills to do it right.
If you have the skills to cop Floyd, chances are you have the creativity to write your own shit.

Or, to put it in simpler terms ....
Quote by bradulator
Pink Floyd kicks too much ass.

Yeah, that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by everythingdies
I say this Porcupine Tree song sounds pretty Pink Floyd-ish.

i wouldnt say they were that similar really i hear equal influences from other prog and rock bands there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Because plagiarism is the work of people with little creativity or skills.

the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath do have a few songs with intricacy and nuance. But the ones that have been plagiarized are simpler and more easily and convincingly copied.

Pink Floyd copied sound like shit, unless you have the skills to do it right.
If you have the skills to cop Floyd, chances are you have the creativity to write your own shit.

Or, to put it in simpler terms ....

Yeah, that.

but what i was meaning is even a floyd esque spacy song here or there doesnt have to be DSOTM part 2 to be like floyd. Zeppelin spawned thousands of bands really who copy licks or drum sounds
Because it's too damn hard. At least, it's too damn hard to do it and sound good.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
Quote by i have to pee

Yes he was.

... he also ripped off the Shirelles (He's So Fine) when writing My Sweet Lord.
The judge in the case determined that Harrison owed the company owning the rights to He's So Fine over $1 million.

... and no. Pink Floyd =/= suckage.
Quote by Andreas1
but what i was meaning is even a floyd esque spacy song here or there doesn't have to be DSOTM part 2 to be like floyd. Zeppelin spawned thousands of bands really who copy licks or drum sounds
I think you're getting closer to the heart of the answer here.

People steal chop that are tasty all on their own. The hooks.

Most of Pink Floyds stuff isn't rife with hooks. It's impressive because of the layering and the way all the individually unimpressive pieces are assembled into to an awesome package.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 11, 2008,