I'm not entirely sure whether this is the correct forum for this (or if this is a common question) but here goes:

I wrote a bass line (song in my profile) before having any real musical knowledge. Now, I have the slightest bit under my belt. I wanted to tab out my song in guitar pro (and future songs I may write).

Does anyone have any advice on how to figure out the time signature and timing (like note and rest lengths)? I tried tabbing it out but couldn't figure out the rhythm I had created. Could someone listen to my bass line and help me out a bit?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
break it up. some rhythms seem complex but usually fall under 4/4.

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx- for example breaks up into 3 + 3 + 2, which still comes out to 8 eight notes, aka 4/4 timing.

the rhythm for your bass line accents like:
XxxXxxXxxXxx, which is basically 3/4 will work. sounds like it goes into 5/4 later. you just have to count it out. try tabbing what you thi nkit is, playing through it, and seeing if its close. make adjustments if necessary. the more you work with midi the more aware you are of timing too.
Quote by Sabaren
break it up. some rhythms seem complex but usually fall under 4/4.

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx- for example breaks up into 3 + 3 + 2, which still comes out to 8 eight notes, aka 4/4 timing.

the rhythm for your bass line accents like:
XxxXxxXxxXxx, which is basically 3/4 will work. sounds like it goes into 5/4 later. you just have to count it out. try tabbing what you thi nkit is, playing through it, and seeing if its close. make adjustments if necessary. the more you work with midi the more aware you are of timing too.

Hmm, this is a start. Good advice. Thanks.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
You could call it 4/4, but it sounds more like four groups of three triplets to me (at least, in the main theme). I'd call it 12/8.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 11, 2008,
Well, I started tabbing it in GP and it works as 3/4. It'd be the same thing (basically) as 12/8 accept more notes in a measure with the latter, correct?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by Archeo Avis
You could call it 4/4, but it sound more like four groups of three triplets to me (at least, in the main theme). I'd call it 12/8.

In most cases would this be considered 12/8 rather than 4/4? I myself thought it could be called 4/4 because I was counting 4 eighth note triplets per measure, however if I'm mistaken (which is very likely)...
Quote by Paquijón
In most cases would this be considered 12/8 rather than 4/4? I myself thought it could be called 4/4 because I was counting 4 eighth note triplets per measure, however if I'm mistaken (which is very likely)...

12/8 would consist of four dotted quarter notes per measure, which would translate into four groups of three eighth notes, which is basically what we see here. I don't think it would be wrong to call it 4/4 (a very strange 4/4), I just think 12/8 is more accurate.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.