Page 1 of 4
You think there gonna start putting hardcore screaming stuff on local radios in the next 10 years? You think more and more people are going to like the louder stuff? Or do you think it wont evolve the way that metal did in the 80's.
i think it will slip back to the glory days of rock in the 60's 70's and 80's.

i just have a feeling, and hopefully ill be leading the charge.
Make no mistake - I see a resurgence of rock. Not like it's 'glory days,' but more than at present.
I doubt it, it's more underground. Rap and R&B will be leading the mainstream for a long time.

By underground, I mean not mainstream....
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
If you look at the trends you will realize "screamo/hardcore" will die off and the real "evil, society corrupting" music such as metal will become somewhat mainstream and become the choice of superior musicians. The same thing happened with jazz, then rock&roll.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
If you look at the trends you will realize "screamo/hardcore" will die off and the real "evil, society corrupting" music such as metal will become somewhat mainstream and become the choice of superior musicians. The same thing happened with jazz, then rock&roll.

metal/classic rock/ hard rock WILL rise again! mark my words.
i really don't care what becomes mainstream. i'll always be listening to what i like, and that's enough for me.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
I truly hope that metal loses its popularity.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
i think classic rock is on the up swing. All the "new rock" radio stations in my area have recently failed and have changed to just rock in general. However, they mainly play classic rock. So we have 4 classic rock stations now.
Quote by Andreas1
I think grunge/alt will come back

my theory is that grunge will come first. because really we NEED what grunge did, come in, play real music, and bring a blowtorch up to all the crap dominating the radio, then from their example thrash metal bands, van halen-esque bands, Queen-esque bands, and Zeppelin-esque bands will return.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

As much as I like the genres it will never happen. People want to progress, not regress. Won't ever happen.
Smart Real Estate Invenstor
Quote by diminishedtobme
Allan Holdsworth will finally break into the mainstream, with several platinum records.

If it hasn't happened by now, I doubt it ever will.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
scre-emo-death-ardcore

i want 30's jazz to come back
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Liberation
I truly hope that metal loses its popularity.

why so you can feel self righteous about your taste in 'underground' music?
Quote by maccas666
I hope it devolve's BACK to the way metal WAS in the 80's.
By that, do you mean...

...or...

Quote by Andreas1
Maybe he doesn't like metal? Just a thought.

And, uh... good luck with that, Lib. You're gonna need it.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

One can only hope.

EDIT: got rid of that,
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
my theory is that grunge will come first. because really we NEED what grunge did, come in, play real music, and bring a blowtorch up to all the crap dominating the radio, then from their example thrash metal bands, van halen-esque bands, Queen-esque bands, and Zeppelin-esque bands will return.

Yes, because you know, there's a definition of "real music".

GTFO.
dethcorecountryska

johnny cash
with a horn section
and deth metal blastbeatz and Br00talz

actually i seriously though of like elvis fronting a brutal pantera type band
there are plenty of bands rockin the older sound with a new twist.

i dont remember who said this, i think i saw it on VH1 classic, but they said every ten years there is a shift in the record industry between artist and record company and the record company is on top right now, but it will soon be an artist-friendly business he said.

and i sure hope he was right
Quote by Liberation
Yes, because you know, there's a definition of "real music".

GTFO.

you gtfo. do you LIKE being pelted with american idol contestants trying to pass off as artists. why dont you actually ****ing read what i write before trying to be cool and commenting on it. by "real" i mean music written for the sake of music, not for money douche bag. before trying to be a tough guy, THINK about what you are about to say.

Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
you gtfo. do you LIKE being pelted with american idol contestants trying to pass off as artists. why dont you actually ****ing read what i write before trying to be cool and commenting on it. by "real" i mean music written for the sake of music, not for money douche bag. before trying to be a tough guy, THINK about what you are about to say.

Are you trying to tell me that metal "musicians" make music "for the sake of music"? Please, educate yourself. Hell, you cannot say that it's true about ANY musician. If you're doing something for a living, you're doing it for money. Just because someone may love their job, it doesn't mean that they're not doing it for the money. If musicians didn't make so much money, nobody would play music for a living.

And by the way, what makes American Idol artists any different from other musicians? They make music just the same as anyone else. It's just that, without American Idol, they may not have ever had their chance to shine. The winners of that show DESERVE their recording contracts a hell of a lot more than most of the bands you may hear.

Quote by Andreas1

I missed the part where I liked a lot of "underground" music, and also missed the part where it mattered if music was "underground" or "mainstream". Good music is good music no matter how popular, or unpopular it may be.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

I'm sorry, and I hate to say this, but this post is just plain ignorant. That "crap" that was played in the late 80's is the direct result of bands like Queen and Van Halen. Queen was influenced by the "glam" bands in England during the seventies(like Mott the Hoople, T-Rex and Bowie) and took that, mixed it with hard rock and created their sound. Then Van Halen took that pop/hard rock sound, added the image to it(look up Roth during their heyday and tell me he didn't overdo the costumes) and created their sound. Slowly, evolving from those two bands, bands like Def Leppard came onto the scene with their "hair metal" sound and look. From that came bands like Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue and the rest of them.

Furthermore, note that when grunge destroyed Hair Metal, Zeppelin-esque bands never returned. Instead, we went through alternative and post-grunge, into modern hard rock. Classic Rock is dead, and it will never come back. Get used to it.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Quote by Liberation
Are you trying to tell me that metal "musicians" make music "for the sake of music"? Please, educate yourself.

yes actually you can, probably more so than any other genre. ( hair metal is not included in this statement, as we all know thats what you're aiming for here) real metal has never exactly been a very popular genre, so if they were doing it to make ****loads of cash, metal is not the smartest genre to be doing it with.
Quote by Liberation
Are you trying to tell me that metal "musicians" make music "for the sake of music"? Please, educate yourself. Hell, you cannot say that it's true about ANY musician. If you're doing something for a living, you're doing it for money. Just because someone may love their job, it doesn't mean that they're not doing it for the money. If musicians didn't make so much money, nobody would play music for a living.

And by the way, what makes American Idol artists any different from other musicians? They make music just the same as anyone else. It's just that, without American Idol, they may not have ever had their chance to shine. The winners of that show DESERVE their recording contracts a hell of a lot more than most of the bands you may hear.

HA!

I've seen ****loads of street bands that beg to differ.

So many artist's make ubsolutely **** all money but still push forwards, so that statement is both idiotic and rediculous.

Sure, most of the guys who make it are rich assholes, but look at their roots, they weren't trying to get signed, they were making the music they love.
Quote by kshelt76
Classic Rock is dead, and it will never come back. Get used to it.

A-fucking-men!

People need to stop living in the past. Especially when they weren't even alive in that time.

Quote by maccas666
HA!

I've seen ****loads of street bands that beg to differ.

So many artist's make ubsolutely **** all money but still push forwards, so that statement is both idiotic and rediculous.

Sure, most of the guys who make it are rich assholes, but look at their roots, they weren't trying to get signed, they were making the music they love.

They're still doing it for money. For fuck's sakes, you elitists are ridiculous.

Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
yes actually you can, probably more so than any other genre. ( hair metal is not included in this statement, as we all know thats what you're aiming for here) real metal has never exactly been a very popular genre, so if they were doing it to make ****loads of cash, metal is not the smartest genre to be doing it with.

No. No you can't.

You want to talk about musicians who love what they do? Metal is not the place to look. Metal is full of sell-outs. I will tell you this: I love Iron Maiden, but I do not doubt for one second the fact that they are absolute sell-outs. The same goes for every other band in that genre. For the "love of music" you look to the theaters, the orchestras, the composers who will stay up till 3am every day working on a new piece that will never really make them any money. You look to the people spending tens of thousands of dollars to study music in universities, the students who dedicate hours upon hours of time into learning an instrument, and you look to the teachers who dedicate their lives to teaching those students.

You really need to stop pretending that, just because you like someone's music, they're all of a sudden saints who don't play music for the money.
Last edited by Liberation at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by kshelt76
I'm sorry, and I hate to say this, but this post is just plain ignorant. That "crap" that was played in the late 80's is the direct result of bands like Queen and Van Halen. Queen was influenced by the "glam" bands in England during the seventies(like Mott the Hoople, T-Rex and Bowie) and took that, mixed it with hard rock and created their sound. Then Van Halen took that pop/hard rock sound, added the image to it(look up Roth during their heyday and tell me he didn't overdo the costumes) and created their sound. Slowly, evolving from those two bands, bands like Def Leppard came onto the scene with their "hair metal" sound and look. From that came bands like Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue and the rest of them.

Furthermore, note that when grunge destroyed Hair Metal, Zeppelin-esque bands never returned. Instead, we went through alternative and post-grunge, into modern hard rock. Classic Rock is dead, and it will never come back. Get used to it.

o it'll be back, dont worry about it, and secondly the "crap" that i refer to has nothing to do with the metal or rock scene, it has to do with all the atrocious pop music at the time. you know the kind of stuff im talking about. so really the post WASNT ignorant, as you've just said pretty much the same thing that i did.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
o it'll be back, dont worry about it, and secondly the "crap" that i refer to has nothing to do with the metal or rock scene, it has to do with all the atrocious pop music at the time. you know the kind of stuff im talking about. so really the post WASNT ignorant, as you've just said pretty much the same thing that i did.

Most people, when talking about Grunge "saving the music scene" are talking about it erasing the hair metal scene. Pop has never been changed. Pop crap made in the 80's was the same as pop crap made in the nineties. Cobain and the boys got rid of the over the top, sprayed hair, make-up clad guys in bands like Poison and Twisted Sister. That style of music is generally referred to as hair metal, not pop. Therefore, if grunge saved the music scene, it saved it from hair metal...not pop.

And trust me, as much as I'd love to hear a return to classic rock, it WILL NOT HAPPEN!! At least not for 400 years. Think about it, Big Band was popular in the forties, but it hasn't returned to mainstream. Music progresses and changes. Zeppelin, Sabbath and those guys had their heyday, but its gone now. Get used to it, or better yet, just don't listen to contemporary radio. That will solve all problems.

Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

Yes. All new music sucks. Seriously, grow the fuck up, you arrogant douchebag. I've got a very long list of great bands from the past 10 years, and most of those bands have only become prominent since 2000. Do I have to list them for you?
Quote by Liberation
A-fucking-men!

You want to talk about musicians who love what they do? Metal is not the place to look. Metal is full of sell-outs. I will tell you this: I love Iron Maiden, but I do not doubt for one second the fact that they are absolute sell-outs. The same goes for every other band in that genre. For the "love of music" you look to the theaters, the orchestras, the composers who will stay up till 3am every day working on a new piece that will never really make them any money. You look to the people spending tens of thousands of dollars to study music in universities, the students who dedicate hours upon hours of time into learning an instrument, and you look to the teachers who dedicate their lives to teaching those students.

the ignorance of that statement ASTOUNDS me. you're telling me that there aren't metal musicians doing EXACTLY what you just said? how many bloody garage bands do you think are out there that play because they like music.
Quote by Liberation
Yes. All new music sucks. Seriously, grow the fuck up, you arrogant douchebag. I've got a very long list of great bands from the past 10 years, and most of those bands have only become prominent since 2000. Do I have to list them for you?

just shut the hell up. my god. YOU NEED TO LEARN TO ****ING READ YOU ARROGANT DOUCHE. did i say all new music at ANY POINT? no. can you pinpoint any sentence where i said ALL NEW MUSIC. no you cant. what i said was the atrocious pop music at the time. what does that mean? that means garbage like paula abdul in the 80s. that means the ridiculous pop music out AT THE TIME. i dont wanna hear another word out of you until you've completed at least a highschool level literacy course.
no you dont have to ****ing list them for me asshole. i listen to a fair amount of new music. at first you seemed like you had a SEMI intelligent argument, but after reading that crap that you just wrote....

why don't you get your elitist, arrogant ass off your high horse, step down to everyone elses level, and actually read what people say before you think you have even a Quasi valid point.
Last edited by DaStrat0blast3r at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by Liberation

They're still doing it for money. For fuck's sakes, you elitists are ridiculous.

They ain't doin' it for the money, it's for the love of music, they all have the option to get good jobs and avoid the **** life, but they choose the **** life to be able to play music!

So **** you and your hatred towards art!

D.R.I. slept in a ****ing van and ate at food kitchens, just to be able to play a few shows at long island.
Alright, let's end this flame war now. I'm sorry that I got involved in it, and it's time to stop.

Old music is good, its great and its awesome. People will always love it but it probably won't come back. There is also a lot of good new music, you just need to turn off mainstream radio stations if you're not into that stuff. I personally don't like rap, but I certainly don't complain about it. I just choose not to listen to rap stations when I turn on the radio. Problem solved.

All bands and musicians, if they love music or not, are sell-outs. You can't tell me that there is a musician, anywhere out there, that if given the chance would make a record, sell millions of copies, and play in front of thousands of people. It's the dream. Those that aren't doing it, just haven't gotten the breaks to make it big-time yet. Those that teach, realized they never would make the big-time, but decided to still make money by teaching. They aren't offereing those lessons for free are they? Therefore, they have other motives than just playing for the music. /argument.

In the next ten years, I don't think we'll ever see metal hit its stride. Metal is usually too far on the forefront soundwise and pushes the envelope of what the mainstream will listen to. However, I also see the rap and emo phase dying down, and people returning to a simpler, counter-counter culture phase. What that music looks like, who knows? Perhaps something more melodic or indie sounding? It'll be interesting. To be sure, there will be always be a few good bands making good music, and a bunch of commercial bands duplicating and overdramatizing what good music is out there.

Quote by kshelt76
Alright, let's end this flame war now. I'm sorry that I got involved in it, and it's time to stop.

Old music is good, its great and its awesome. People will always love it but it probably won't come back. There is also a lot of good new music, you just need to turn off mainstream radio stations if you're not into that stuff. I personally don't like rap, but I certainly don't complain about it. I just choose not to listen to rap stations when I turn on the radio. Problem solved.

All bands, if they love music or not are sell-outs. You can't tell me that there is a musician, anywhere out there, that if given the chance would make a record, sell millions of copies, and play in front of thousands of people. It's the dream. Those that aren't doing it, just haven't gotten the breaks to make it big-time yet. Those that teach, realized they never would make the big-time, but decided to still make money by teaching. They aren't offereing those lessons for free are they? Therefore, they have other motives than just playing for the music. /argument.

In the next ten years, I don't think we'll ever see metal hit its stride. Metal is usually too far on the forefront soundwise and pushes the envelope of what the mainstream will listen to. However, I also see the rap and emo phase dying down, and people returning to a simpler, counter-counter culture phase. What that music looks like, who knows? Perhaps something more melodic or indie sounding? It'll be interesting. To be sure, there will be always be a few good bands making good music, and a bunch of commercial bands duplicating and overdramatizing what good music is out there.

well stated. + infinity.

liberation, you lose due to the fact that, i dunno you seemed to be arguing with yourself as you aren't really commenting on any points that we're making, but are commenting on stuff you WANT us to be saying so you can look witty and cool.
/flame war.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
the ignorance of that statement ASTOUNDS me. you're telling me that there aren't metal musicians doing EXACTLY what you just said? how many bloody garage bands do you think are out there that play because they like music.

Yes, I am telling you that. They're playing for money. They're playing to try to get a record deal, and make money. That's why people play music in a band. An orchestra is completely different. Orchestra members make pennies, and that's the most they'll ever make. There's not even a 1 in a million chance of them EVER making hundreds of thousands of dollars from their music. Composers make nothing unless they're doing it for big name movies, and even then, they barely make enough.

And seriously, douchebag, get over yourself. You go on and on about how "pop" musicians, and modern musicians don't love their music, and then get all uptight when I tell you that metal "musicians" don't love their music? Wow. And you're telling me to grow up?

Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
just shut the hell up. my god. YOU NEED TO LEARN TO ****ING READ YOU ARROGANT DOUCHE. did i say all new music at ANY POINT? no. can you pinpoint any sentence where i said ALL NEW MUSIC. no you cant. what i said was the atrocious pop music at the time. what does that mean? that means garbage like paula abdul in the 80s. that means the ridiculous pop music out AT THE TIME. i dont wanna hear another word out of you until you've completed at least a highschool level literacy course.
no you dont have to ****ing list them for me asshole. i listen to a fair amount of new music. at first you seemed like you had a SEMI intelligent argument, but after reading that crap that you just wrote....

why don't you get your elitist, arrogant ass off your high horse, step down to everyone elses level, and actually read what people say before you think you have even a Quasi valid point.

Ohhh, someone's taking this really personally, isn't he? Did mommy forget to feed you?

There is some VERY good pop music. As a matter of fact, look no further than the likes of Elton John, Phil Collins, Rick Astley, and Martika among others. I love how you completely discredit the brilliance of that genre, as it is, and has been for a long time, a VERY popular genre. You claim I don't have an intelligent argument? Jesus Christ pal, your arguments are like kindergarten speak compared to mine. I'm using complete reason and intelligence. You're using complete elitism and an arrogance/ignorance combination worse than I'm used to seeing on this site, and that's saying a lot.

Like I said, YOU'RE the elitist. Look at my last.fm charts here. As you will see, I'm as far from an elitist as you'll find.

Quote by maccas666
They ain't doin' it for the money, it's for the love of music, they all have the option to get good jobs and avoid the **** life, but they choose the **** life to be able to play music!

So **** you and your hatred towards art!

D.R.I. slept in a ****ing van and ate at food kitchens, just to be able to play a few shows at long island.

Yeah, sure

Well, as Journey said, "don't stop believin'".
Last edited by Liberation at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by Liberation
Yes, I am telling you that. They're playing for money. They're playing to try to get a record deal, and make money. That's why people play music in a band. An orchestra is completely different. Orchestra members make pennies, and that's the most they'll ever make. There's not even a 1 in a million chance of them EVER making hundreds of thousands of dollars from their music. Composers make nothing unless they're doing it for big name movies, and even then, they barely make enough.

And seriously, douchebag, get over yourself. You go on and on about how "pop" musicians, and modern musicians don't love their music, and then get all uptight when I tell you that metal "musicians" don't love their music? Wow. And you're telling me to grow up?

Ohhh, someone's taking this really personally, isn't he? Did mommy forget to feed you?

There is some VERY good pop music. As a matter of fact, look no further than the likes of Elton John, Phil Collins, Rick Astley, and Martika among others. I love how you completely discredit the brilliance of that genre, as it is, and has been for a long time, a VERY popular genre. You claim I don't have an intelligent argument? Jesus Christ pal, your arguments are like kindergarten speak compared to mine. I'm using complete reason and intelligence. You're using complete elitism and an arrogance/ignorance combination worse than I'm used to seeing on this site, and that's saying a lot.

Like I said, YOU'RE the elitist. Look at my last.fm charts here. As you will see, I'm as far from an elitist as you'll find.

please dude, just read. just please ****ing read so i dont have to do this all night. i said crap like PAULA ABDUL. fake pop music, bubblegum pop. the ****ing pussycat dolls of the time and crap. Elton john is a brilliant artist. i said CRAP pop, not ALL pop!

"Yes, I am telling you that. They're playing for money. They're playing to try to get a record deal, and make money." have you ever actually BEEN any of these people? if so you dont know **** about why theyre playing music.actually argure WITH me, not AT me, or just shut the hell up.

" Orchestra members make pennies, and that's the most they'll ever make. There's not even a 1 in a million chance of them EVER making hundreds of thousands of dollars from their music. Composers make nothing unless they're doing it for big name movies, and even then, they barely make enough."

and so, because an artist makes it big means they sold out and are doing it for the money? no it doesnt. my god. lets say i made millions off a hit song, am i supposed to just give it all away and say "i cant take this money, id be selling out" **** no! they dont choose to make money, they just do.

maybe if you could learn to be less of an arrogant prick and debate like you ARENT a complete ass, id respect what you were saying a little bit more, and maybe see your side. but because your argument is so littered with an inability to understand what ive been writing this whole time, and just utter arrogant garbage, theres no point in even listening.
Last edited by DaStrat0blast3r at Mar 11, 2008,
Page 1 of 4