Hi guys!

Well i have come to a decision that maybe i should upgrade my axe. I'm 16 years old, and i've been playing for 3.5 years, and i'd say i have an intermediate level of playing. I play usually my own stuff, classic rock/blues stuff like improvision solos and such, but my main thing is hard rock and metal, like maiden and metallica.

I've always wanted a tremolo system in my guitar, and my first guitar had one but it was the obvious cheap one and went out of tune after every push of the trem arm. Then i bought a Schecter Omen-6 guitar as my replacement. I wasnt into using the tremolo until about this time, 3 years after starting. I thought about getting a jackson RR3 rhoads, but then i had a thought of changing my mind because with me im always turning in and out of standard. So basically, i go drop d, half step, and occasionally Standard D.

So if i were to buy a new axe, it'd be the ESP LTD EC-500.

So my main question is this : Is it really worth it to have a tremolo? i have no idea if i would use it alot, or if its necessary.

Thanks
Ibanez S570b [Dimarzio Mo'Joe & PAF Joe]
Schecter Omen-6 [Dimarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire]
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
Mesa Boogie Traditional Slant 412
THD Hot Plate
If you change tuning alot a tremolo might not be the best idea...unless you have multiple guitars for different tunings then id go for the trem
YES!!!!

i don`t think i`l lever buy a guitar without a trem, the sounds you can pull off with a high gain amp are crazy

so yes buy a guitar with a Floyd or Kahler

but down fall, you can only use 1 tuning, so keep your Schecter
If you change tunings it's not worth it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Right now i have two guitars with floyd roses. I like them but its annoying trying to cover songs when they are in different tunings. I have mine tuned to E standard and C standard. So having a hard tail come in handy but having a Trem is awesome as well.
keep all the guitars you have and get the esp, then keep them all in different tunings and that will probably work out best for you, floyd roses are cool and all, i just dont know if their worth it.
floyds are cool and all, but changing tuning a lot would suck if it was your main axe
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I think people exagerate with Floyds sometimes. They don't take that long to change strings etc as some people say. They can be a bit annoying to tune though, because even if you use the fine tuners, if you tune the Low E to D, the others will also go slightly out of tune.

It can be a lot of going backwards and forwards. It's worth it though I love my whammy bar, especially for natural harmonic dives

An essential hair metal tool!

Unless you're really patient I'd suggest getting one and think of getting a second.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
If you want to do things that you need a Floyd to do, you need a Floyd to do them.

I think that the loss of natural sustain, the cost, and the extra maitnece makes a double locking trem an unwise use of my money, but that's just me. You really need to see if it's worth it to you.
Yeah there worth it and there not that much of a pain to deal with you just have to make sure you use the locks or it will go out of tune
If you change tunings a lot other than from standard to drop D for example, it's definitely not worth the hassle.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I bought a guitar with an OFR, had it professionally set up and played it as my main guitar for about 2 years then I decided that the FR wasn't for me. I honestly wasn't that impressed. I mean it's a lot better for staying in tune than a regular trem but personally I think they're way over rated. Plus its a pain in the ass to keep em in tune after you change strings until you get your strings stretched out. Just too much of a pain in the ass to justify what it did (IMO) and yes I did know how to properly use and set it up in case some OFR lover comes and tries to rip my opinion to shreds.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I bought a guitar with an OFR, had it professionally set up and played it as my main guitar for about 2 years then I decided that the FR wasn't for me. I honestly wasn't that impressed. I mean it's a lot better for staying in tune than a regular trem but personally I think they're way over rated. Plus its a pain in the ass to keep em in tune after you change strings until you get your strings stretched out. Just too much of a pain in the ass to justify what it did (IMO) and yes I did know how to properly use and set it up in case some OFR lover comes and tries to rip my opinion to shreds.

+1

And with ya, no matter how good you are at setting up a Floyd you cant control the strings and how much they stretch... Ernie Balls Especially... I've sat there for 10 minutes stretching and restretching. Came back a day later and it was out of tune..
A floyd system is about as useful as the Ug search bar; if you know how to use it, its great. If you don't know how to use it you will just piss people off.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Tremol-No

Quick fix and you have the best of both worlds...

+1000
Good Ultimate-Guitar deals:
s.r.v. / Soapboxhero / dbrettw / laxduck / O00Coolzero00O / 1mmpick

Good Harmony-Central deals:

Quicksilver 689 / antiochband / KjStrat / Critter / guillatool1

Good SevenString.org deals:

Guitarmiester / TMM
Quote by .arkness:.
A floyd system is about as useful as the Ug search bar; if you know how to use it, its great. If you don't know how to use it you will just piss people off.

Win
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt