So I have been playing music for about 4 years. I can cover about anything besides solos mainly cause I am to lazy to learn them. I can move my fingers around the fret board pretty fast so thats not really a problem. The problem is, I know a couple of scales and can noodle around in them alright but I just dont know where in the hell to go with them. My dexterity is not a problem I just dont know where in the hell to go to make stuff sound good. What do I need to do to get over this. Thanks for any help.
i suggest joining or starting a band, and trying to write some songs.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Instead of learning whole solos, try learning your favorite parts of other players solos. You can still be a little lazy, but you'll be cutting new chops.
I am in a southern/classic rock band at the moment. That is helping me learn new lick here and there but I am playing rhythm.
Quote by ZootCst
Instead of learning whole solos, try learning your favorite parts of other players solos. You can still be a little lazy, but you'll be cutting new chops.

Yeah that is a great idea. I will look me up some solos and learn a couple parts.
If you are playing rhythm then does that mean the lead guitarist is perhaps more experienced than you? If he is then I recommend tapping into his wealth of knowledge. Even if he is not better/more experienced than you, one can learn much from watching/listening to other guitarists carefully.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
learn a bunch of different solos to get an idea of what sounds good and different techniques u can use....and improve over some back tracks
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
I'm not sure how far along you are as far as technique and such; considering each guitarists has their own styles and techniques, however I've been playing on and off, mostly off, for about 4 years as well until recently. I've been on - on meaning everyday for about an hour - for the past 4 months and i've found this book to be very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RIDK1Q?smid=AV55EHESNL1V7&tag=dealtime-mi-20&linkCode=asn

I finally buckled down and got an instructor and after telling him what I was interested in learning, which seems similar to what you're going for, he recommended that book. It has everything from blues to rock to just basic scales that help you move along the fret board. I highly recommend it if you're trying to learn some fun licks to play during shows or just during your free time. It starts off very basic, but around the 25th-30th lesson out of 70-something in the book you learn to speed pick and incorporate bends while speed picking. It also comes with a cd which has a slow version of the lesson and a fast version (where a drummer, rhythm guitarist, and the lead guitarist play along with you) Ha, I apologize for the rambling... I'm just a huge fan of this book and I think it may just be what you're looking for.
Quote by PekarGuitar
If you are playing rhythm then does that mean the lead guitarist is perhaps more experienced than you? If he is then I recommend tapping into his wealth of knowledge. Even if he is not better/more experienced than you, one can learn much from watching/listening to other guitarists carefully.

Yeah he is a great player but he is not really for for sitting down and showing people stuff. he says he does not know how he does stuff, he just does it. So yeah he is not alot of help.
Quote by BChill
I'm not sure how far along you are as far as technique and such; considering each guitarists has their own styles and techniques, however I've been playing on and off, mostly off, for about 4 years as well until recently. I've been on - on meaning everyday for about an hour - for the past 4 months and i've found this book to be very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RIDK1Q?smid=AV55EHESNL1V7&tag=dealtime-mi-20&linkCode=asn

I finally buckled down and got an instructor and after telling him what I was interested in learning, which seems similar to what you're going for, he recommended that book. It has everything from blues to rock to just basic scales that help you move along the fret board. I highly recommend it if you're trying to learn some fun licks to play during shows or just during your free time. It starts off very basic, but around the 25th-30th lesson out of 70-something in the book you learn to speed pick and incorporate bends while speed picking. It also comes with a cd which has a slow version of the lesson and a fast version (where a drummer, rhythm guitarist, and the lead guitarist play along with you) Ha, I apologize for the rambling... I'm just a huge fan of this book and I think it may just be what you're looking for.

Alright that looks sweet. I will stop by the book store and give this a look. thanks
i suggest that if you play rhythm sit down and learn some rhythm stuff like chords and other stuff there is no point being able to play yngwie when your rhythm and by learning some good rhythm techniques you can transfer them over to your lead playing

i got stuck in the rut you are in once the answer is to challenge yourself learn your theory or if you really can't be bothered (sometimes i can't be bothered learning new theory stuff) go back and re-learn the very basics it just reinforces them and you will find all sorts of uses for them later on that you never thought of before
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...