I'm not sure what the exact genre is, maybe folk of some kind?

But the main instruments are an accordian and flute (i think?)

And i'm wonderfin what other instruments are used, expecially the kind of drum they use.

I wish to do it as a street band, would be fun

EDIT: maybe its celtic?
Last edited by maccas666 at Mar 11, 2008,
I imagine a bass would work, but you'd want an acoustic or upright or something of the sort I think. Probably a violin too.
bagpipes\musette, fife, drum, acoustic guitar and anything else that was available in 1730.
Quote by Who66
bagpipes\musette, fife, drum, acoustic guitar and anything else that was available in 1730.

ha! i know someone who plays the bagpipes

WHat kind of drums do you reckon though? steel drums?

And the fife is probably the flute type thing i was talking about.
Wind instruments can largely be substituted for one another, provided the mouthpiece type is the same, so you could just have a flute instead of the fife.

Bagpipes...pirates...interesting. I want to see this.

Some sort of exotic/old stringed instrument would be good. Like a lute or something. A fiddle, also. A guitar would make it sound vaguely Latin.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Wind instruments can largely be substituted for one another, provided the mouthpiece type is the same, so you could just have a flute instead of the fife.

Bagpipes...pirates...interesting. I want to see this.

Some sort of exotic/old stringed instrument would be good. Like a lute or something. A fiddle, also. A guitar would make it sound vaguely Latin.

yeah that's what i was thinking about the guitar.

Fiddle = yes
fife = yes
accordian = yes
upright bass = yes
still unsure of drums.
What kind of pirates?
Quote by imgooley
What kind of pirates?

The kind from 17th century that mostly sailed carribean/celtic area's.

Quote by arsonite
YARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Sounds celtic mostly to me.

That's what i started thinking
Last edited by maccas666 at Mar 11, 2008,
Well there was no such thing as the guitar in the 18th century, and I normally associate the lute with calm folk music, Bach, or fast Spanish music.

I think the main thing that you want is a fiddle. They're the hardest to learn though
Lute & Harpsichord are two biggies found in pirate music... in fact I'd venture to say Harpsichord is the key ingredient to a pirate sound.. wish i could afford one they are awesome instruments
Thinking about it more I would say flute/fife/pan pipes of some sort and a fiddle/violin of some sort were pretty prevalent as well.
Quote by chillbeast
Thinking about it more I would say flute/fife/pan pipes of some sort and a fiddle/violin of some sort were pretty prevalent as well.

I like the look of the harpichord thing, but i'll never be able to get that, i think it's what i got mixed up with accordian.

And there's definetely fife's used.
Quote by maccas666
I like the look of the harpichord thing, but i'll never be able to get that, i think it's what i got mixed up with accordian.

And there's definetely fife's used.

Yea, actual harpsichords are really rare and generally uber-expensive these days.. the only popular artist I know of that uses one regularly is Tori Amos and from what I remember from a friend who was an Amos uber-fan she got hers passed down through family or something to that effect.. I could be wrong but I seem to remember that being how she aquired one.

However, you can easily find keyboards/synths and soft-synths that do a good job of replicating a harpsichord sound.
Quote by chillbeast
Yea, actual harpsichords are really rare and generally uber-expensive these days.. the only popular artist I know of that uses one regularly is Tori Amos and from what I remember from a friend who was an Amos uber-fan she got hers passed down through family or something to that effect.. I could be wrong but I seem to remember that being how she aquired one.

However, you can easily find keyboards/synths and soft-synths that do a good job of replicating a harpsichord sound.

*runs to loungeroom*

Yep, my keyboard has it.

Ok now i know some music, i need some idea's for songs to cover, i was thinking of doing that kiss me, i'm ****faced by dropkick murphy's, it seems to have a bit of the instruments listed, not really the sound i'm after but i need a starting point.
maybe some alestorm, iuno, anyone got idea's?
try some mandolin too. laid-back accordion could work, harpsichord... pretty much all that has been mentioned before, but I say mandolin. They're in the same tuning as violins.
^^Yeah i noticed them on ebay and though "hmmm maybe i could use that" they aren't too expensive either.
The skins of your dead enemies stretched over empty rum-barrels make for some good drums.

Seriously though, fiddle is always good, maybe some sort of cheap old wind instrument like a fife, recorder or penny whistle? Pirates weren't usually classically educated, so something folky.
Guitar would work, it was a later invention but there were probably still pirates around, and nobody needs to know otherwise if it sounds good
Yeah i was thinking some of that dropkick murphy's stufff would be a good starting point.