I bagged this Dana Alvarez Scoop at the pawn where i live with the orginal hard shell case for 240 bucks. It was made in 1994, has active pickups, floyd rose double locking trem, and a sweet red glow finish. I love it. But anyway, it has one small problem that Im not sure how to go about fixing. On the left humbucker pickup adjustment screw, the mount hole is stripped, so I cant adjust the pickup height for that side. I know I could use a slightly bigger screw, but i really dont want to do that. Can anybody offer some suggestions on how I sould go about fixing this?

P.S.... If anybody wants a Dana Scoop also, There is a scoop just like mine on ebay right now, type "alvarez electric guitar" in the search window. I think it is better condition than mine.
Attachments:
003.JPG
006.JPG
Last edited by jakeman4000 at Mar 11, 2008,
First of all, those aren't active pickups.

Now, on topic: Try breaking off a piece of a toothpick and gluing it in the screw hole with a bit of white glue and then screw the screw back into the hole. it's a popular solution when strap buttons fall out.

Edit: does the guitar feel solid? I've always liked the look of them but they always look like they'd break off.
He probably means there's some active circuitry in there. I'd be scared playing that thing btw, looks like it would snap.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Zofar
First of all, those aren't active pickups.

Now, on topic: Try breaking off a piece of a toothpick and gluing it in the screw hole with a bit of white glue and then screw the screw back into the hole. it's a popular solution when strap buttons fall out.

Edit: does the guitar feel solid? I've always liked the look of them but they always look like they'd break off.

The pickups are wired to 9v battery, if they are not active, then what would they be?
Also, thanks for the possible solution which does work great for the purpose you suggested, but im talking about the metal bracket that holds the humbucker is bored out bigger than the screw that allows height adjustment. What would you suggest to fix this? Also,The guitar feels solid as a rock.
Last edited by jakeman4000 at Mar 11, 2008,
sorry for off topic...but ive played one, and it felt super solid...so yeah...anyways, I wish I had something to suggest
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
The only way to fix that problem is with a bigger screw. Visit your local hardware store and find out what size it is, (bring it with you they usually have gauges) and get a screw and tap the next larger size.

Tap the threads by screwing the tap in a turn, back out 1/2 turn and repeat until you get to the bottom section of the tap. Reversing directions helps unload the loose chips it just cut out, and keeps the tap from binding. It might be necessary to drill the hole to a larger size first, but with metal this thin it's usually not required if you only go one size bigger. If in doubt, drill it to the proper size. Often hardware stores also carry tap and drill sets, you get the right drill along with the tap..it's worth a buck or two more. I usually don't have to worry about it, as a former machinist I have bunches of high quality drills, it's not often I need one and don't have it.

When I put them back together I like to use surgical tubing to replace the springs, it's easier to work with, stays put while you try to assemble everything (the springs fall off too easy) and works just as well as the spring does for adjustments, sometimes it can compress more too and give you a little more adjustment room. I had to do that with one of my guitars when the spring compressed all the way and I still needed the pickup higher to match the volume level of the other one. Surgical tubing solved the problem, now I always use it if I have to remove a pickup for any reason.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by jakeman4000
The pickups are wired to 9v battery, if they are not active, then what would they be?
Also, thanks for the possible solution which does work great for the purpose you suggested, but im talking about the metal bracket that holds the humbucker is bored out bigger than the screw that allows height adjustment. What would you suggest to fix this? Also,The guitar feels solid as a rock.

Probably active electronics.

I agree with the person above me, the best solution would to get a slightly bigger screw.
Wow!

That is an ugly guitar!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I think you are right.........Do you think I could get a new humbucker mounting bracket of another humbucker or are all brackets different?
There's another fix that might do the trick. Remove the 'bucker in question. Get yourself a big size Vice-Grips, preferrably one that has flat jaws. Clamp it down EXTREMELY tight on the metal tab that the screw goes through. If you put enough pressure on it, the hole will distort back down in size, and should be enough that the screw threads into it once more.
It's an old mechanics trick that works in a pinch.
Quote by LeftyDave
There's another fix that might do the trick. Remove the 'bucker in question. Get yourself a big size Vice-Grips, preferrably one that has flat jaws. Clamp it down EXTREMELY tight on the metal tab that the screw goes through. If you put enough pressure on it, the hole will distort back down in size, and should be enough that the screw threads into it once more.
It's an old mechanics trick that works in a pinch.

I finally got around to fixing it using this method. It worked great. I had a little trouble getting the screw started, but i mananded to get it threaded without damanging the guitar, but I got lucky cause my screwdriver slipped a couple times. Thanks alot Dave............Thanks to everybody else that offered suggestions also.