Hello all, I had purchased an Ibanez RG5EX1 a couple months back. It's a beautiful piece of work (at least to me) for a low-budget guitar, however, I do have one complaint/question. The Edge III bridge is not GREAT, but it's not horrible either (ZR was my best experience with Ibanez bridges). I fixed the arm so it never falls out. It's stuck in there for good, which is how I like it since the arm always came out when I first bought it (the magnet screw was not even powerful enough to stick on my fridge X.X). Anyways, my question is this;
Every time I pull up or down on the bridge, the pitch shifts slightly sharp (if I pull up) or flat (if I pull down). When I FIRST got the guitar, it did not have that problem, but it had started a couple weeks afterwards. I don't know what it is either. At first, I thought it would either 1) not bother me or, 2) it would go away after a while, that it was probably a "breaking in thing". However, after a while, it seriously drove me nuts. I would be recording a song after perfectly tuning the guitar, and then when I dive (not even a dive-bomb. Just a slight dive) or pull up (again, not even a massive pull. Just a slight touch is enough to set it off), it would go a little sharp or flat depending if I pulled up or dove down. It didn't even have to be massive. Just a slight imposition and then it would go slightly flat or sharp. It's noticeable too, even to non-guitarists. It's not a huge difference, because it's still within the note range, but it's there, and frankly, it's driving me up the wall. I have a very anal ear, so even the slightest imposition would drive me nuts, but I don't think I'm alone. Can anyone help me out with this problem? I'd really like to fix this problem. If it's one of those unfixable problems, then what would be a better replacement, the OFR or Edge Pro? I know they both would fit. The OFR because I hear about it, and my friend did it to his XPT700 (without bodywork), and I know the Edge Pro fits because I saw photographic proof on a forum board (again, without bodywork). I got the link to it somewhere here on this forum. As much as having a new bridge appeals to me (because I like new things), I'd really rather keep what's on there. So yeah, suggestions? Fixes? I really like this guitar, and I'd like to be able to use it for a long time until I buy another guitar.
I only read like half of your problem because of the lack of proper paragraphing.

Sounds like your guitar's tremolo cavity needs a new set of springs. They can crap out on you, but it shouldn't have happened so soon.

The springs on my Jackson have lasted 17 years but alas, they need replacing now.
Quote by Demon_Wing
Hello all, I had purchased an Ibanez RG5EX1 a couple months back. It's a beautiful piece of work (at least to me) for a low-budget guitar, however, I do have one complaint/question. The Edge III bridge is not GREAT, but it's not horrible either (ZR was my best experience with Ibanez bridges). I fixed the arm so it never falls out. It's stuck in there for good, which is how I like it since the arm always came out when I first bought it (the magnet screw was not even powerful enough to stick on my fridge X.X).

Fixing the arm in permanently is a pretty bad idea; when stuck in a case or bag you need to remove the bar.

Quote by Demon_Wing
Anyways, my question is this;
Every time I pull up or down on the bridge, the pitch shifts slightly sharp (if I pull up) or flat (if I pull down). When I FIRST got the guitar, it did not have that problem, but it had started a couple weeks afterwards. I don't know what it is either. At first, I thought it would either 1) not bother me or, 2) it would go away after a while, that it was probably a "breaking in thing".

Trems do not need to be broken in; strings do, but that doesn't take ages.

It sounds like the knife edges are worn out.

Quote by Demon_Wing
However, after a while, it seriously drove me nuts. I would be recording a song after perfectly tuning the guitar, and then when I dive (not even a dive-bomb. Just a slight dive) or pull up (again, not even a massive pull. Just a slight touch is enough to set it off), it would go a little sharp or flat depending if I pulled up or dove down. It didn't even have to be massive. Just a slight imposition and then it would go slightly flat or sharp. It's noticeable too, even to non-guitarists. It's not a huge difference, because it's still within the note range, but it's there, and frankly, it's driving me up the wall. I have a very anal ear, so even the slightest imposition would drive me nuts, but I don't think I'm alone. Can anyone help me out with this problem? I'd really like to fix this problem.

It's very annoying indeed, but there's not much you can do...

This is why people don't like the Edge III (or other cheap LFR's): they work fine for a while and then start wearing out much sooner than a quality bridge would.

Quote by Demon_Wing
If it's one of those unfixable problems, then what would be a better replacement, the OFR or Edge Pro? I know they both would fit. The OFR because I hear about it, and my friend did it to his XPT700 (without bodywork), and I know the Edge Pro fits because I saw photographic proof on a forum board (again, without bodywork). I got the link to it somewhere here on this forum.

I'm not sure on the Edge Pro fitting.

Keep in mind that a few years ago Ibanez' budget trem of choice in this price level was the Edge Pro II, which looks like the Edge III, but has slightly different dimensions.

I reckon someone swapped their Edge Pro II for an Edge Pro and either you misread it/they made a small typo.

Also, I'm hearing mixed responses about how well the OFR swaps with the Edge III; it's apparently a better fit than the Edge Pro, but according to some it still requires a bit of drilling.

Quote by Demon_Wing
As much as having a new bridge appeals to me (because I like new things), I'd really rather keep what's on there. So yeah, suggestions? Fixes? I really like this guitar, and I'd like to be able to use it for a long time until I buy another guitar.

I reckon the easiest routes are:

-take the plunge and replace it with an OFR

-block it; either with a bit of wood or a Tremol-no.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
One question about keeping the arm in?

The edges have little allen wrenches beneath the arm holders, took me a while to find, but surely that must hold it well enough?
Quote by GenderConfusedJ
One question about keeping the arm in?

The edges have little allen wrenches beneath the arm holders, took me a while to find, but surely that must hold it well enough?

Yup.

That tightens the arm (don't tighten it too much, though).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!