Alright, well it's all fun right now, but who knows I bet it'll stress me out. But currently I'm officially part of two active bands (The Dying December and Nocture Hourglass) and luckily both are relatively new (as in I'm able to have a big influence on the songs), and luckily both have one practice a week (that I attend) where TDD is on Fridays and NH is on Saturdays. The real fun though, is that my friend from the band Anarclitz has asked me to sub in for their bassist (since he is going to California for a few weeks), and their next show is this Saturday. It's nice that they are a punk band, and so their bass is really easy (I could even use a pick, which I normally don't do, haha). But yeah, this is gonna be some fun.

So does anyone have any tips for me (one for the show, and two just to balance things out)? I'm pretty sure I have things covered, but I don't know, haha.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by metalimaster
never knew bass could be stressful................ *flame shield* =p

Haha, well, for the record it's not yet, but who knows what might happen. Because so far all the schedules (between school, work, the three bands, and my girlfriend) all work out almost perfectly, so it's a godsend there. But yeah, I just wanted some tips on performing with a punk band (for MY first rock gig), performing in a live setting in general, handling 3 bands, and blah blah blah.

~Sacred Slumber
dude, for the punk... i dunno how hard core u wanna go but generally just spike the hair put the stove pipe jeans on and wear ur bass really low down..... punk bass tends 2 be relatively easy so it's not really comprimised by wearing ur bass real low....... also the ease of it will help with it not being stressful....

if ur performing original music nerves can often be a major thing but just try be cool with it and roll with ur mistakes(if u make any)....... punk *isnt about the tightness anyways.... i luv it live for the intensity

lol @ balancing band with girlfriend/school........ <<< i could only tell u wot didnt work for me =p
This should probably go in the Musician Talk forum...

and you're only subbing in as the bassist for Anarclitz for a couple of weeks? I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote by metalimaster
dude, for the punk... i dunno how hard core u wanna go but generally just spike the hair put the stove pipe jeans on and wear ur bass really low down..... punk bass tends 2 be relatively easy so it's not really comprimised by wearing ur bass real low....... also the ease of it will help with it not being stressful....

He didn't ask for image advice...
Alright, cool. Yeah I'm not too worried about the live performance, nerves-wise, I just go with it. I used to perform in front of groups in Orchestra, and really, as long as I'm not playing by myself (as in no one else is on stage), then I have no problems with performing for an audience at all.

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by Charlatan_001

He didn't ask for image advice...

punk is about something other than image?!?!?!!?
Quote by metalimaster

I really hope you're joking....
Quote by metalimaster

Yes, why do you think the Clash were dubbed "The Only Band that Matters"?

Image is the wrong word here. The word you are looking for is "Attitude" and yes that plays a large part in the playing of punk music. And punk in itself can contain a distinct range of skill levels and sounds. For instance the Stranglers were considered part of the first wave of punk; compare them to someone like the Ramones and you have a night and day there. But there was always "the attitude", which included a good dose of DIY ethics and a strong reaction to corporate rock and the expectations of society.

But back to mhylands original question. I played in a few punk banks back in the day, albeit as a guitarist. Skill wise I have no doubts that you can take this on, so I wouldn't worry too much there. From a performance perspective, just lock in to the general energy that is going on around you--from the band, from the audience etc and ride that like a surfer takes a huge wave in Hawaii. And for your general bass playing, keep it simple and lock with the beat to drive those songs forward.

And have fun, I have to say that some of the best times I have ever had on stage was playing punk. There was such an immediate connection between the band and the audience (scary at times, but always fun), that I haven't ever experienced since then.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.
Quote by anarkee
...Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Alright thanks. But yeah, as I said I'm just subbing in, so the bass lines are already written (and I have no problem feeling the groove in most punk, even though I rarely listen to it, ). I'll definately write back after the first show how it went, and I'll try to pick up the 'attitude' while I'm practicing with the band this week.

~Sacred Slumber
Seems like their is a straying here...

you are doing alot of stuff. 3 bands, work, school, girlfriend. That does scream stressful.

If you have alot of influence for the two begining bands, I would suggest allowing both bands to take it slow... tell your bandmates that you want them all to have a very good feel for what all of you can do. big excuse- the worst thing that could happen is one, or both of these bands started wanting to do more.. writing a bunch of songs and playing gigs.

It is a good thing your use to playing solos and whatnot- but it does not matter how many performances, solos and what not I have done, I still get nervous. The good thing, is Punk can be very easy to play (8th note roots?) just try not to rush, and you should be fine. The good thing is, if you play with energy and create a good stage presence, most people in the crowd will not care what you sound like. People go to punk shows for the energy, mosh pits, and to hang out. So create that energy and you will be their heros!!

and please, do not listen to the image advice. If you are not use to low-riding your bass, then you can actually hurt the progress you've made in both hands if you suddenly switch to that for the few hours of practice and the show. You have your own style when it comes to bass playing. obviously your friends in this punk band knew it, and liked it, or they wouldn't have asked you to stand in for their vacationing bassist.

Good luck!
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Quote by mhuckins
Good luck!

Well, luckily I do play with my bass super low (only problem though is I play with my fingers), so it's difficult playing with a pick that low. Chances are (most likely) that I'm just gonna play fingerstyle, because I'm more used to it, (and the band didn't mind the idea since they never heard the bass anyways, haha), so it'll make everything easier. Bad enough that I have to learn 16 songs in three days, yay.

By the way, the first practice went very well, the songs weren't that difficult to play (and I used a pick the entire time, but I'll still switch), I just need to memorize the order of the riffs and when who plays and who doesn't. It was funny when they commented on how my 'warm-up' and in-between playing was much harder than what they played, haha. Still, they were really good for a punk band and did some great riffs. Also, I get to learn 4 cover songs, ("Amoeba," "Punk Rock Love," "Oi to the World," and "Pull My Strings") which makes things easier since I can nail all those away from the band setting.

~Sacred Slumber