e ---|---|---|---|---|
B ---|---|-x-|---|---|
G ---|---|---|---|---|
D ---|-o-|---|---|---|
A ---|-x-|---|---|---|
E ---|---|---|---|---|

I think it's Em7 open position. How do I finger the D string and what does 'o' mean here? If it means 'open' why is it on the 2nd fret?

Many thanks.
gauge out eyes of whoever wrote down that notation and connect them to ur own allowing u to c it through their eyes and read the chord yey. but 4 sersly kill them i hav no idea how they culd make sumthn so simple so complex violENT PIZZA!!111
wtf?

It looks like a cross between tablature and chords. Where did you get this?
Crappy diagram. From what I gather it means to mute it. From the way it's made, I can say it doesn't mean open and the 'x's mean to fret that string, so thus it means to mute it. Really tho, you can play it open/muted/fretted there shouldn't be much difference in sound, choose whatever sounds best to you given the context of the song.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Mar 11, 2008,
It's a chord diagram and the "o" just means that is the root of the chord. You fret it just like the both of the x's and the E G and e strings are open. I would finger it like this index on A string, middle on D string, and ring on B.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
The x's indicate required fingering.
The o is an optional note to fret, as it remains the same chord with either a 2nd fret E or an open D string, as both notes are part of the chord.
Quote by Cyberbob
The x's indicate required fingering.
The o is an optional note to fret, as it remains the same chord with either a 2nd fret E or an open D string, as both notes are part of the chord.

In this instance, the D could also be used but that is not what this chord diagram is saying with the "o". The "o" signifies that the E on the D string is a root note of the chord. This format is common with box scales if you are familiar with those.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.