Ive almost finished stuyding it at university.
Ive worked at a few labels on work experience....

Dont know why im studying it, when the industry is losing so much money and probably will continue too?

Without e-bragging Id say I know alot about the music industry, anyone want to have a discussion of ideas about Music Business only in this thread>?
looks like you tagged on 'any one want to have a discussion' to the end of your post to make this look like a useful thread.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
im doin music industry at tafe in australia. pretty good course but i've got ALOT to learn.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
im doin music industry at tafe in australia. pretty good course but i've got ALOT to learn.

What tafe? Im in melbourne doing it at Victoria Uni. Im in Sydney a fair bit but, there was a few jobs going there recently!
im getting a job with the band on the titanic. its gonna end real well.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
im getting a job with the band on the titanic. its gonna end real well.

hahaha
Quote by TheWildRide
Dont know why im studying it, when the industry is losing so much money and probably will continue too?

That's wrong. There's so much money in the music industry. You must be looking at the wrong area. The record industry is losing a lot of money because less people are buying records, but more people are listening to music than ever. It's so easy to distribute music that major labels aren't needed anymore. The industry isn't losing money, the money's just coming from different areas of the industry and becoming more spread out.
Quote by Absent Mind
looks like you tagged on 'any one want to have a discussion' to the end of your post to make this look like a useful thread.

my opinion exactly. he's just e-bragging, and sucking at it!

gratz on choosing the wrong bussines!
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

It's not losing as much money as they say. Sure, sales are down from ten years ago, but they're a lot higher than they were 25 years ago. The only mistake they made was not embracing downloads, a mistake which they're fixing at the moment.
Quote by teddytheturtle
That's wrong. There's so much money in the music industry. You must be looking at the wrong area. The record industry is losing a lot of money because less people are buying records, but more people are listening to music than ever. It's so easy to distribute music that major labels aren't needed anymore. The industry isn't losing money, the money's just coming from different areas of the industry and becoming more spread out.

... More people are listening, but fiancially it' still going bad. Distribution is eays yes, but 99c downloads arent making up for the lost money on cds.

The fact that DRM only just got removed is another important factor. There is less jobs in the industry without a doubt, and less money in traditional areas.

The business model that captalises on this increased listening of music into dolalr signs is what im searching for.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
It's not losing as much money as they say. Sure, sales are down from ten years ago, but they're a lot higher than they were 25 years ago. The only mistake they made was not embracing downloads, a mistake which they're fixing at the moment.

Its not quite that easy my friend. People expect music for free these days... which really isnt a commercial option under the current relationship between labels and artists.

Undoing the perception in young people that their music shouldnt bee free and they should have to pay for their downloads is going to be an uphill battle.

The latest news is that ISPS are going to be banning people caught using their internet connection to infringe copyright aka downlaoding songs, talks are happening.
Well, I have a question. An article I recently read said that most artists make very little off their cd sales, but actually make more money off touring and merch sales. The author, a prof at UCLA I think, implied that a new cd a band put out was to promote an upcoming tour. The thing for me is that is sort of seems to be reversed logic; I always though that touring was to support increasing the sale of new cd's / albums, rather than as the author of the article states that making new music creates the avenue to go and tour. Why would a band ever labour over 13 - 15 new tracks just to justify touring. Why not just be like the eagles and record 3 or 4 new songs once every blue moon, package it with some older material that is maybe remastered or re arranged, then go tour and make your bucks.

What is your take on this idea that new cd's support tours, rather than the other way around.
Quote by sadistic_monkey

i'd love to see em try... it's the 3rd partys that are now "embrasing" the whole download deal.... itunes being one of them, cant say its the wrong thing to do, i mean whats a $0,99 for a song? and like $9,99 for a whole album?
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

As far as paid for downloading goes:

If Apple introduced a scheme whereby you could pay £x a month, and have unlimited downloads, the money wouild come piling in. I'd almost certainly do that already if it wasn't for the fact that the other services offering these deals don't support the DRM in iPods...
Profits are down - that's different to "losing money". You seem to think you know a lot - I'm not sure you do.
Quote by lexaah
i'd love to see em try... it's the 3rd partys that are now "embrasing" the whole download deal.... itunes being one of them, cant say its the wrong thing to do, i mean whats a $0,99 for a song? and like $9,99 for a whole album?
Really? Both EMI and Universal have started releasing DRM free songs on iTunes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMI#Music
I have a question / comment.

Extended comment: So, cd sales are down again as they have been for a few years; RIAA has won a major lawsuit but has yet to provide any funds or even a method of distribution of the amount awarded in the lawsuit to various artists; downloading tunes per purchasing of individual song legally mightmake the album concept obsolete- maybe killing modern rock as the Beatles created it and sending us back to the 50's when bands focused on making singles; major labels are necessary to provide funds to up coming bands who have yet to reach their full creative / commercial potential; downloading sites like iTunes or whatever might enter into deals with specific record labels to distribute the work of only artists on the labels roster- will that create new partnerships between labels and internet song distribution sites in which profits are shared between specific label- internet site- and the recording artisit, for example will Warnerbros. link up with company X, set up a distribution site / network and split profits accordingly.

Anyhoo, the music industry is not dead but is in a major transformation. Question is whether the internet will provide a barrier / meduim through which artists will be able to ensure that they are treated equitably and receive fair compension for their work since the internet and downloading sites will reduce the power of major labels as they have been in the past?