Page 1 of 2
As the title states ... don't ask for examples, there are numerous, also don't bother bringing up exceptions, I'm aware they exist.
Because either A: they truly only use the bridge pickup and B: some artists (like Alexi Laiho) are so heavy in their effects that the pickups don't really matter quite as much, as long as there is one.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
er... because they're signature guitars. personally, when i play, i pretty much always use the same pickup and tone settings, its very rare for me to change. so if you wanted to create my 'signature guitar' you probably wouldn't need a bridge pickup in there.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
i think another way of looking at it, is that these arists all feel as if they have zoned in on their ideal tone.
so much so, that they have narrowed it down to one pickup.

a bit of silliness if you ask me. why wouldnt you want more options.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Because artists have a particular sound (otherwise they wouldn't usually have a sig guitar) and so it's unnecessary to have an extra pickup in there if they don't use it.

but in my experience most sig guitars have multiple pickups and the exceptions are the ones with on.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
A lot of the time the artists want a simpler configuration. There's less to break down, and most of the time you use only one pickup.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by mafropetee
Because either A: they truly only use the bridge pickup and B: some artists (like Alexi Laiho) are so heavy in their effects that the pickups don't really matter quite as much, as long as there is one.

Chimaria's Rob Arnold in the ESP NAMM video on their website stated about his sig. guitar= "It has an ebony fretboard...a bridge pickup because I never use the neck pickup..."

I believe one of the 2 new Children Of Bodom sig. guitars (the rhythm guitarist and the bassist just got signatures, according to the site as well) only has a bridge pickup as well. Of course you'd probably only need one pickup if you were just going to play rhythm anyway.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by jj1565
i think another way of looking at it, is that these arists all feel as if they have zoned in on their ideal tone.

+1

The combination of tone and volume knobs with a pickup selector switch
can open up a world of possibilities. That has been one of my biggest challenges
since I started playing...Creating my own recognizable style while playing
with very diverse sounds. Once you start to create your own techniques and
picking dynamics...you don't need to stay with one pickup just so someone
can tell its you.

Imho you dont need more than one pickup...but i believe that if you only use
one..it can really hurt your growth as a player. Even in metal ...you dont
always need that ballz to the wallz bridge.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Mar 11, 2008,
Also, it has to be said that pickups do pull on the strings, because they are magnetic and the strings are made of metal. so having less pickups, in theory, increases sustain.
yeah but, i think in this case that's a pretty minor price to pay for the advantage of having another pup.

especially if it's kept a little lower.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Zofar
Also, it has to be said that pickups do pull on the strings, because they are magnetic and the strings are made of metal. so having less pickups, in theory, increases sustain.

then buy a compresson sustainer, if im gunna have me a signature guitar i want one as versatile as hell give me 3 Pups.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I could not live without a neck pickup, and I couldn't live with only a neck pickup. I think it's stupid to only use one pickup, you need different sounds.

I could understand if you use so many effects you wouldn't be able to tell that you're changing pickups, though.
Because its what the artists want?

Anyway, I wouldnt buy a guitar with one pup, i like the bridge option for ma leads like everyone nearly does!
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
then buy a compresson sustainer, if im gunna have me a signature guitar i want one as versatile as hell give me 3 Pups.

here's a suggestion. dont buy a sig guitar if you don't like the specs.

or better yet, don't buy a sig guitar. They're generally overpriced anyway.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
not all signiture guitars have a single pickup for example the B.C. Rich Kerry King Signiture v and the ESP Jeff Hanneman Sig both have two pickups.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Well keep in mind most of these sig guitars are from guys who only play really heavy stuff where the bridge pickup is mainly used. Their tone is basically the same except for the effects used. Most non-metal sig guitars generally have more then one pickup. I would say the single pup is more genre specific.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Quote by Zofar

True.

An Esquire sounds better than a Telecaster in the bridge position, even with the same pickup.
Quote by COBHC_Slayer
not all signiture guitars have a single pickup for example the B.C. Rich Kerry King Signiture v and the ESP Jeff Hanneman Sig both have two pickups.

Yeah, but those are probably the only ones...

Quote by element4433
You can still do alot tone-wise with a one pick up a volume knob and an amp. And some people would rather screw around with there amp settings to get what they want then just switch to a different pickup, I know I'm that way.
the gear:
Jackson RR3 Trans red
LTD EX-260 White with black bevel
Ibanez RG3ex1 quilt red
Agile Ghost Pro 727 White
Krank Rev Jr.and cab
Blackheart 5W head
DigitechRP500
How can you live without a neckpickup for soloing? Bridge is way too sharp to get a defined sound if you're playing fast. Now, ofcourse, some parts sound better with bridge but most often fast sweeping and similar stuff just sounds cleaner on the neckpickup, regardless of technique.
Quote by Toolshed#9
How can you live without a neckpickup for soloing? Bridge is way too sharp to get a defined sound if you're playing fast. Now, ofcourse, some parts sound better with bridge but most often fast sweeping and similar stuff just sounds cleaner on the neckpickup, regardless of technique.

I find that the neck pickup sounds softer generally and loses definition. That's why it makes it sound 'cleaner'. It doesn't actually, it just makes the note changes sound smoother and if your technique is good enough you won't need the neck pickup to make it sound clean.

Quote by element4433
When i first started playing, i would only use the bridge pup. Later i realised that, "wow, it sounds even better when i switch to the neck or bridge/neck on this part."

now i cant go 5 mins without switching unless im doing the same thing for longer than that

i have also seen many guitarists say they dont use the neck pickup, i dont know about you guys, but i HAVE to have one.
Because just haveing the artists name on it makes people buy it. people pay for the name, so why even bother putting extra money into it.

If you put Kurt Cobain on any guitar and people will play it.
You can put Nike symbols on a condom and black people will wear it
I love the concept of plugging in and playing. I **** around with my amp for other sounds and can get a great neck pickup sound when i need it. Plus, I think single pickup guitars look amazing.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Because there are a lot of noobs, and if they see it's [insert name here]'s guitar they will buy it asap anyways.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
I would totally buy a one-pickup guitar, i think it looks cool. i also barely use my neck pickup for anything other than playing with tones during practice.

i think most major artists use it for simplicity, as already stated. i've seen a lot of guitars with the neck pickup ripped out or the selector switch broken (on purpose) played on stage.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by Lemoninfluence
here's a suggestion. dont buy a sig guitar if you don't like the specs.

or better yet, don't buy a sig guitar. They're generally overpriced anyway.

agreed. if you don't like one-pickup guitars, don't buy them. there are plenty of guitars with several pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hate just 1 pickup on guitars. I was gonna get the Alexi-200 but didn't because it only had on humbucker on it.
Believe it or not kids, some guitarists play very differently! Metal guitarists usually use a lot of distortion and reduce the mids quite a bit to take some of the harshness off it and just leave it on one pickup (I'm not saying all do, but you get the jist), while blues and rock uses two pickups quite a lot of the time, because sometimes you need to have a it a nice bit softer, and sometimes you need to have a bit of brightness, just because some things would sound not too good with a bassier, more mellow sound, and hoohah. But, you've got to remember, a lot of jazz guys only use one pickup too, just because a bright, trebly tone doesn't sound well with a smoother sax tone, or a string bass or whatever.

They use pickups really by genre, when you think about it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by jj1565

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Wylde_Man
When i first started playing, i would only use the bridge pup. Later i realised that, "wow, it sounds even better when i switch to the neck or bridge/neck on this part."

now i cant go 5 mins without switching unless im doing the same thing for longer than that

i have also seen many guitarists say they dont use the neck pickup, i dont know about you guys, but i HAVE to have one.

I used my bridge pup for 4 years, then watched the BLS DVD, the one in paris/london, then i got addicted to using my neck pup for smoother solos, then bridge for hte heavier parts of solos / rhythm work, and i cant stop!
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
your questions pretty much been answered..
but i myself use the neck pickup, but never the middle(if its a strat), and never use both humbuckers.
It's usually neck for cleans, and bridge for distortion for me.
The only time i use the neck for distortion is shredding, i like the tone, but i use neck for shredding also.
I only ever use one pup on my 335 (gigging), so I'm tempted to rip the bridge one out and use it in another guitar..

Thats one reason I guess.

And the selector switch recently died, so there's another. If it had broken down in a gig I would have been ****ed.
Quote by DSOTM80

you just facepalmed jenny?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because they're so reliant on effects and whatnot to get them their tone, their pickups hardly matter.

Personally, 'cause I have the worst amp ever, and the worst mainstream guitar ever, I find myself using the pickup selector tons (Pretty painful, all my knobs fell off. Just a metal stick thing now.) and once in a while, if I have a long rest or hold vibrato for a few bars, I'll twiddle with my tone knob.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by DSOTM80

(_)_)

how the hell did i get facepalmd in an 8 month old thread!
i'd love to hear your reasoning.

priceless.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

he didn't bump the thread... he's cool though, i've seen him help a lot in other threads. I was just hoping for a catfight.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Naa no catfight is gonna happen. I just felt like facepalm'ing and waiting for the reaction I get. Although I don't agree about the 'sillyness' of having just one pickup but to each his/her own I guess so its alright

By the way, not a bad a$$ but I've seen better
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Page 1 of 2