My single recto is definitely not right, it sounds pretty average sound-wise on high gain and high volume, however theres uncontrollable feedback, like a massive whine coming from the amp, when I kill this with my ISP decimator the amp still sounds like its about to take off/explode, ive tried different cabs, ive switched out the power tubes a few times, its not the guitar.....therefore, im thinking pre-amp tubes!

I would fall in love with anyone who could tell me which pre-amp tubes in a single rectifer control which aspects of the amp, theres 5 in the back, im assuming its only one thats buggered, I have bought 2 new ones, so yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated, im close to buying a different amp! Cheers!
Diezel, Motherfucker
I would assume that it is one of the pre-amp tubes, as that would explain the hissing and uncontrollable volume. I would switch out one of the 12AX7's one at a time and see.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I'm also assuming you've had this amp for a little while and it sounded good at one time?
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz
I'm also assuming you've had this amp for a little while and it sounded good at one time?

No its been this way since I bought it (very second hand, the guy I bought it off said the tubes needed sorting)
Diezel, Motherfucker
Tubes.... replace them all.... it will sound like new.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
For the sake of trying to save you money first, do you know to EQ those? Boogies are a little different than most other amps. Just of the sake of giggles, before you buy $100 worth of tubes and things, go here...

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

And get the manual for your amp. If it still sound like ass, get the tubes.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
I don't know the precise tube layout for Mesas, but if it's happening on all the channels it's probably V1 or V2 (the first two tubes on the right, looking at the back of the amp).
You mentioned that you have two new tubes- it's perfectly fine to swap those out for the old tubes until you figure out which one wasn't working. In fact, you can even switch preamp tubes while the amp is on standby. Just use an oven mitt, they'll be hot.
i have a question too... kinda related...

my single recto recently started to sound weak too after a brand new retube... like it roared for a couple minutes, and then all of a sudden, the volume just dropped and the sound just got really feeble. also, no matter how much i crank the master, the volume stays pretty low, with not a lot of power amplification. i swapped out the v1 preamp, and it sounded fine again... for another minute or so, and went back to the same problem.

any ideas?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Maybe it's biased wrong?

(I'm no expert or anything, just asking)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by soundnin
i have a question too... kinda related...

my single recto recently started to sound weak too after a brand new retube... like it roared for a couple minutes, and then all of a sudden, the volume just dropped and the sound just got really feeble. also, no matter how much i crank the master, the volume stays pretty low, with not a lot of power amplification. i swapped out the v1 preamp, and it sounded fine again... for another minute or so, and went back to the same problem.

any ideas?

You probably fried a powertube or two and in the process blew the fuse. Check those out
Quote by Roc8995
I don't know the precise tube layout for Mesas, but if it's happening on all the channels it's probably V1 or V2 (the first two tubes on the right, looking at the back of the amp).
You mentioned that you have two new tubes- it's perfectly fine to swap those out for the old tubes until you figure out which one wasn't working. In fact, you can even switch preamp tubes while the amp is on standby. Just use an oven mitt, they'll be hot.

The V1 and V2 are the first two on the left when looking at it from behind the amp
Quote by Gibson_Left
You probably fried a powertube or two and in the process blew the fuse. Check those out

Sorry, but where is the fuse? I'm kind of inexperienced with amps.
Gear:
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Boss MT-2
Quote by soundnin
Sorry, but where is the fuse? I'm kind of inexperienced with amps.

Looking at the back of the amp it will be on the right side, near where the powercord plugs in. Its like a little knob thing that should say fuse on it
Quote by Gibson_Left
Nope

Cool. I'll check it out when I get home. How would I know that it's blown, and is it easy to replace?

Thanks for the help man.
Gear:
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Boss MT-2
Quote by soundnin
Cool. I'll check it out when I get home. How would I know that it's blown, and is it easy to replace?

Thanks for the help man.

It'll look like its been burned or something along those lines, like this:

And yes it's easy as **** to replace. Just pull it out and put a new one in. Just make sure you get the right amperage.
Hahaha the one on the right looks REEEAAALLLLL f'ed up compared to the one on the left.

Cool, I hope this is what's wrong with the amp, because i've been real bummed about it. i got the mesa because it could rip. if it doesn't rip, i might as well play through some $10 practice amp
Gear:
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Boss MT-2