I'm looking for the best guitar for under $650 dollars. I like Les Pauls, RG, SG style guitars. I dislike pretty much anything by Fender or Explorers and Flying Vs. I play a wide range of music, including stuff from Metallica to Eric Johnson to RHCP. I would like a guitar with good clean sound, but also good sustain and distortion. So far I've been looking at the Epi LP Custom, but I'm open to other options. Any suggestions? If you suggest anything, please include why you would suggest it.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I think I'll be getting a Roland Cube 30 watt amp with this guitar, unless anyone has any other suggestions for a good 30W amp for under $300. For the guitar, I know the whammy bar is mostly just a gimmick, but I'd like a floating trem on the guitar. I am perfectly happy to have a guitar without it, but if there's an option with a good tremolo system that stays well in tune....
Last edited by Parabellum at Mar 11, 2008,
i like the esp ec-500
its about $600
sounds good clean and handles any tuning
plus, i really like the neck on it
well, it's got Kirk's vintage metallica sound, and ESP does make good guitars. Even for a bolt-on, it has nice sustain.

EDIT: It has a good Tremolo, and i woud reccomend anything OTHER than a cube, the distortion is terrible.
if you really want a trem bar i think you shuould only get an ibanez edge iii or a ZR tremolo in this price range, so cheack out the rg and the s models that you like
Quote by restless_thrash
well, it's got Kirk's vintage metallica sound, and ESP does make good guitars. Even for a bolt-on, it has nice sustain.

EDIT: It has a good Tremolo, and i woud reccomend anything OTHER than a cube, the distortion is terrible.

What sort of amp would you recommend then? I was looking at maybe a Line 6 Spider III
Quote by Parabellum
What sort of amp would you recommend then? I was looking at maybe a Line 6 Spider III

Not a good idea.. there are many better amps. The Spider III isn't horrible, but you can do better.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Parabellum

Everyone's gonna say no to that, but go out and try it and see if you like it. Some people like Spiders, some don't.

I'm also gonna say just go and try guitars...
Quote by Parabellum

i have a spider 2 75 watt and my friend has a spider 3 150 watt, and i see no problem really with either as much as people say about them...i play with an esp ex series guitar and i can get anything going from playing some blues or 60s rock to in flames and devildriver...the amps i think are versatile...most of the presets work good, but you'll probably wanna tweak your own when you get to higher volumes...if i had the money i would of went with a half stack and it probably wouldn't be a line 6 one, but for playing a variety of stuff and for how cheap they are i think you'd like one.
The creator of pank, the pank master
So do you think that the ESP Viper 400 SG with active EMGs could produce a good clean sound? I like this guitar, but I'm not sure if I should get it over a LP Custom.
Quote by Parabellum
So do you think that the ESP Viper 400 SG with active EMGs could produce a good clean sound? I like this guitar, but I'm not sure if I should get it over a LP Custom.

I've owned it for a good 3 or 4 years and absolutely love it, but if you want a good clean, I would recommend you look elsewhere. The 85 in the neck just doesn't cut it for clean playing. I say look for something with a 60 or 89 in the bridge. Something like the ESP EC-500 would do nicely.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I'm obligated to recommend this:

The Epiphone Alleykat. The pickups are a little weak, though.

The Epi LP Custom in the OP is a fine choice, IMO.
I say go with the LP and instead of the Cube 30 get one of the 5 watt Blackheart Tube Amps and A Bad Monkey overdrive which should do just fine for what you want to play
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Hmm, I was really interested in that SG. I dislike semi hollow and hollow bodies, so no point in recommending those.
Check out the Ibanez SZ series i think the sz720 should be in ur price range, I love the neck very smooth and fast, and it looks hot.
I'm interested in the guitar having a good clean and distorted sound. Does the SZ720 have it?
schecter?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by Parabellum

The cube is as good as you can get for a low priced amplifier, unless you are considering buying a 5 watt tube amp, which will sound great but have very little built into it, if you want versatility I'd say go for a cube.

The Line 6 Spider III sounds good clean (for what it is) but, if you want any kind of distortion, even the micro cube is better, unless all you care about is volume
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X