So I have this flag of North Korea lying around by a chance...
I was wondering if I could use this flag with my band live, like covering the front of an amp or just as a decoration on my wall. I guess there are no real laws against it, but the symbolic meaning of the flag probably differs a lot in different cultures...
So what's your take on "missusing" flags like this?

Are flags just a silly old tradition?
or do you guys feel some national value withing these symbols?

I'm just curious...
It's just a flag.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Quote by taatelikoira
So I have this flag of North Korea lying around by a chance...
I was wondering if I could use this flag with my band live, like covering the front of an amp or just as a decoration on my wall. I guess there are no real laws against it, but the symbolic meaning of the flag probably differs a lot in different cultures...
So what's your take on "missusing" flags like this?

Are flags just a silly old tradition?
or do you guys feel some national value withing these symbols?

I'm just curious...

Flying a flag on stage/covering your equipment with a flag would suggest you are supportive.
Burning or abusing a flag means you are not supportive.

How many fans will you have if you support north korea?
flags are flags... the meaning is long gone... use it!
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

well i don't really see the point of using it live if you're not from north korea, might offend some of them, unless youre tryin to be all like "im cool cos i like north korea". also i don't really think it's a cool thing to misuse flags, unless you mean to piss some people off, and probably get a kicking in the process
a North Korean flag? I don't think it has much symbolic or cultural meaning. Are you thinking of the South Korean flag? It has what appears to be the yin-yang on it (its not).
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
flags have symbolic meanings

on stage though they tend to show what nation your from, or the style of music. eg a union jack is associated with a fair few Mod or Mod influenced bands

in Morrissey's case, people assumed he was racist for posing with the flag
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Mar 11, 2008,
on the plus side, if we go to war with North Korea his band is immune to death by the Korean Army
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
I have a confederate flag on my wall as a decoration... I never catch any **** for it.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by taatelikoira
Well being a flag of North Korea it would be more of sarcastic statement against their leaderships policy or something, so it would be somewhat provocative... :/

people won't get that. They'll assume your supporting North Korea

how would they know it would be sarcastic
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
using the flag on stage is up to you.....that whole freedom thing, if you're korean i say go for it! I'm not though, so i personally wouldn't.
You could always adapt it so it means something to you.

I.E from a few of the sex pistols reunion gigs

Flag into a tribute/memorial
Everyone is looking at this as a negative thing, but if its an actual North Korean flag, it could be seen simply as your bands support for peace between North Korea, South Korean, and the rest of the world. Maybe if you had both flags next to each other. If you don't think your particular audience would get that though, I would explain it or take it down. And if you don't really care about the North Korean situation, than don't use it.

EDIT:

A lot of people probably wouldn't even recognize it though. We only know the flags we've seen on MTV.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Last edited by zorched at Mar 11, 2008,
I don't really see any problem with it, I just don't see why you want to do it. If I saw a Brit flying a yank flag onstage I wouldn't be offended, I'd just think he was a moron. Same rules apply.
im guessing most people would just go "oh he has a north korean flag over his amp" and then never think of it again
Quote by ibanez_rocker
I have a confederate flag on my wall as a decoration... I never catch any **** for it.
Ugg

Rednecks
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
most people probably wouldnt know what it even was. i suggest a flag of your country, or some country that you support. dont just hang a N. Korean flag just because you happen to have it.

now if you really do support N. Korea and are trying to make some statement, go ahead and use it. i dont think too many people will be offended about it anyway. its not like its a Nazi flag or something.
Quote by taatelikoira
Well being a flag of North Korea it would be more of sarcastic statement against their leaderships policy or something, so it would be somewhat provocative... :/

I assure you noone will understand it. It doesn't even make sense to put the north korean flag on stage as a sarcastic statement. Maybe if you burnt it peole would understand you're against it.

But I dislike burning flags; it's so juvenile.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
honestly, i wouldnt fly the north korean flag at your shows.
people would get the wrong idea. you might get you ass kicked. groupies might bite it off. :P
but seriously, i was thinking about finding/making an american flag like the original one. ya know? the one with 13 stars in a circle? just cause we were badass then and now we suck.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by zorched
A lot of people probably wouldn't even recognize it though. We only know the flags we've seen on MTV.

Yeh ;D in fact I guess the only reason I know the flag is because I own one

And btw, I'm not korean. But I'm conserned about the situation (lol I'm feeling pretty hypocrite ) and I do support the joining of those two countries (feeling more hypocrite ).
So how would you feel if a random guy modified (seemed pretty cool idea btw! ) YOUR flag. The american flag and the union jack are so overused they wouldn't probably even be noticed, but I feel this is a bit different.
Well only few people recognize the flag but I guess it means something to the ones who do...
Its a long Welsh traditional to fly the British flag upside down because of how we forced upon it, and that we don't appear on the flag.

The problem is the Union Jack looks virtual the same when upside down lol. If you look closely some of the white bits on the flag are more thicker on one side so there's a proper side to fly it and an upside down.......pffffffft its to hard to explain ¬_¬ i tried.
Quote by dartmaster
Its a long Welsh traditional to fly the British flag upside down because of how we forced upon it, and that we don't appear on the flag.

The problem is the Union Jack looks virtual the same when upside down lol. If you look closely some of the white bits on the flag are more thicker on one side so there's a proper side to fly it and an upside down.......pffffffft its to hard to explain ¬_¬ i tried.

Fail
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by element4433
Ugg

Rednecks

Nah, confederate flags don't just mean redneck. It means, once upon a time the country was able to stand up for itself. Sure the South had some extremely horrible morals, but the mere fact that they stood up against the governement was a good thing. Now everyone just conforms.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Quote by Kensai
I assure you noone will understand it. It doesn't even make sense to put the north korean flag on stage as a sarcastic statement. Maybe if you burnt it peole would understand you're against it.

But I dislike burning flags; it's so juvenile.

Burning can only show your distatse once. I advocate making a giant nappy out of it, and evacuating your bowels and bladder into the flag.
That's if you want to say "flag are of bad country". If you like North Korea, that wouldn't be an appropriate way to show it.
Quote by Kensai
Fail

Lol
I know I know
Like i said theres a side of the flag where the stripes are thicker or something I could probley show but just not explain it

But yeah years ago people would be able to notice it upside down and be like
But nower days dont really mater...........which is probley why no one here dose it any more

God im tired!