epi valve junior
22 25%
blackheart head
38 44%
almost voted and realized didn't really know
27 31%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
Hey there, will be getting tax refund and I think I'm going for one these. they're just adorable. Seriously the Blackheart has an eq and the epi doesn't. I think the blackheart valve head is a great looking amp myself. Anyone heard either/or both of these?
I got the Blackheart COmbo and the Head and Cab are on their way.

Great amp I was so impressed with the tone and huge sound that it is capable of.

And this wasnt my first tube amp either
The Blackheart blew me away when I first cranked it, such a big thick sound.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I played one after the other and liked the Blackheart more. Yeah, both sound great, but with the BH you get more control over the tone, and has a bit more mids by itself (which is something I like).

In fact, I liked it so much that I'm getting the Handsome Devil half stack when it comes out
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
The Blackheart is the flavor du jour here on UG. The Epi VJ has the proven track record and an encyclopedia of modding info available. It's losing big in your poll, but I'd stick with the VJ. Get a Danelectro Fish & Chips to go along with it if you want some better eq'ing than the Blackheart offers.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by stangconv
They are designed by the same guy though... Isnt it logical to think that the Blackheart is just an improved VJ?

Yeah? I haven't heard that. You have a link or something where I could read about it?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The blackheart isn't much superior to the VJ. In fact, for three times the money of a harley benton ga5 (which is basically a VJ) you're getting ripped off. The circuit is the same. They're both made in asia.

One has a few mods, the other doesn't. One has a 'cool' logo, the other has not. One has a 'cooler' theme otehr has not. I don't see how you can justify paying 3x more for nearly the same amp....you can mod the VJ to be on par or even better than the little giant for pennies and some basic literacy.

when will this blackheart madness ever stop? :
Last edited by zwound at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by zwound
The blackheart isn't much superior to the VJ. In fact, for three times the money of a harley benton ga5 (which is basically a VJ) you're getting ripped off. The circuit is the same. They're both made in asia.

One has a few mods, the other doesn't. One has a 'cool' logo, the other has not. One has a 'cooler' theme otehr has not. I don't see how you can justify paying 3x more for nearly the same amp....you can mod the VJ to be on par or even better than the little giant for pennies and some basic literacy.

The VJ Half stack is $250

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr-HalfStack?sku=481475

The Blackheart Half stack is $250

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078

I'd wait for the newblackhear, handsome devil, which is going for $400. comes out in april though
The Blues Twin/Valve Standard is only £200 in the UK at the moment. 30 tube watts with a tube reverb and I may be wrong but it might also have a tube rectifier as well as a 15w/30w switch.

Anyway, I would go for the Blackheart any day of the week. The pentode/triode switch is really useful. Contrary to belief, so is the EQ. It is different tonally from the VJ as it is more crisp, but the pair of them are good amps.
*wonders how many people voted without playing both*

I really want to try the Little Giant though. No one in the area seems to have them so I'll probably have to drive a bit to try one.

Also-
Based on the sound clips alone the grainy-ness of the Blackheart is actually really attractive to me. I'm also wondering which one would sound better with my cab and treble booster...
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I need a 5 watt tube soon too, and I'm goin' with the Valve Junior, the EQ just isn't worth $100 to me. I think instead I am just going to get an MXR/Danelectro EQ with it, much more versatile as slats said already.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
I need a 5 watt tube soon too, and I'm goin' with the Valve Junior, the EQ just isn't worth $100 to me. I think instead I am just going to get an MXR/Danelectro EQ with it, much more versatile as slats said already.

The halfstacks are the same price in North America.

THe combos are different but with the BH you get a 12 inch speaker and with the VJ you get a 8 inch.

Dont forget the 3/5 watt switch. It makes a difference in the sound. For some reason the 3 watt is cleaner.

Just so you are totally informed

But for $150 the Epi combo IS a pretty good deal.
Last edited by stangconv at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by stangconv
Slats:

Google "Pyotr Belov epiphone valve junior"

Pyotr Belov is the guy who designed the Blackheart.

He also did the VJ, So-cal, And the Blues Custom

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4GWYE_en___CA236&q=Pyotr+Belov+epiphone+valve+junior

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I'll definitely take that under advisement. I still trust the VJ more based on it's extended track record, but that's certainly a vote in favor of the Blackheart.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
They are very mod friendly amps too..

People have emailed and talked with Pyotr about modding them and he helps out and provides schematics and wll take the time to help them.

Edit: Also slats what exactly do you mean by track record? The VJ has only been around 2 years... there warrantys havent even expired on the FIRST ones...
Last edited by stangconv at Mar 11, 2008,
I've tried em both now... my VJ with mods wins. My VJ without mods still wins. Much more tone on the gain. Couple it with an ART TUBE STUDIO preamp and it shines. An Dano EQ pedal might be my next purchase.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by slatsmania
Yeah? I haven't heard that. You have a link or something where I could read about it?

Sure, no problem.

Here's a link to a gearwire article that mentions how amp designer Pyotr Belov and LOUD's marketing guy Kevin Van Pamel met at Gibson.

http://www.gearwire.com/blackheart-littlegiant-interview.html
Last edited by carpepax at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by zwound

does anyone know where you can get a Harley Benton in the US?
Quote by stangconv
The VJ has only been around 2 years... there warrantys havent even expired on the FIRST ones...

warranty's only good for 90 days. too bad i broke mine on the 91st day somehow
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Ouch!

I've got the Handsome Devil on order. I hope the hype about them being "overbuilt" pans out. I haven't heard anything bad yet about the little giant, except the guy in that video saying the EQ has little to no effect. I wonder if it has more effect on the tone at lower volumes...
Quote by protech487
does anyone know where you can get a Harley Benton in the US?

It's Thomann's own cheap brand, you could order one from there but 89€ + 20€ shipping = 109€ which is $167 so you could buy a VJ or a BH head for less than that

Quote by zwound

The Blackheart is basically an already modded VJ with an EQ an the pentode/triode switch, and the head is only $20 more than a VJ (10€ on Thomann).
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Mar 12, 2008,
played the VJ today, and was completely let down, the amps a joke in my eyes, blackhearts the only way. i turned down getting a VJ for $100 too, cant wait to get the blackheart.
Google "Pyotr Belov epiphone valve junior"

Pyotr Belov is the guy who designed the Blackheart.

He also did the VJ, So-cal, And the Blues Custom

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ne+valve+junior

Can't be. Valve junior is based off the Gibson (basically the same thing inside) Ga5, which was released in the 50's.

So unless this guy on the far left here

Is 70+ years old, then he couldn't had 'designed' the VJ. Maybe from the outside, but sure as hell not on the inside.
Quote by UnsignedRecords

5 year warranty, 90 days on Tubes and SPeakers

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EPA-BKJR-LIST

High quality metalwork, detachable power cable, rugged, musical speaker and a lot of attention to detail make the Valve Junior an uncompromised and serious piece of gear. A 5 year warranty backs up Epiphone's commitment.

Type Valve Junior warranty into Google....
Quote by jcopello
played the VJ today, and was completely let down, the amps a joke in my eyes, blackhearts the only way. i turned down getting a VJ for $100 too, cant wait to get the blackheart.

I got a VJcombo for my G/F and out of the box I'm like ok good for her. Then i plugged in some pedals. Needless to say I'm getting a head and cab for me. The vj loves pedals.

Edit: Thought some of you might be interested in this

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=7
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by stangconv
5 year warranty, 90 days on Tubes and SPeakers

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EPA-BKJR-LIST

Type Valve Junior warranty into Google....

hmph, interesting, maybe the new ones? i threw out my warranty once i realized it was void. oh well, at least it works for 2-3 minutes a day.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Adding to this thread, anyone who has tried both a modded VJ and the Blackheart little giant, is there much between them?
If the mods that are all over the net for the VJ turn it into what is basically the Little Giant (EQ, 3/5W, etc) then it is cheaper to buy a VJ/GA5 and spend a few quid on some components to mod it.

I'm having the same dilemma myself, main thing I see of benefit with the Blackheart is the bigger cab, but then I had considered buying a GA5 head, modding it and matching it to a decent 1x12 cab.

Decisions, decisions!!
they both have 1-12 cabs... I tried em both - I own the VJ and I like it more. Mine has a few mods but straight outta the box I like the VJ more than the BH. The EQ on the BH doesn't really do much in my opinion. An EQ pedal would help both of em more. Mine has a Gain Switch, a Brite Switch and a Standby Switch along with JJ tubes and when I tried the BH at the Guitar Center - cranked up too - I was sure I had the right amp even without the mods. That's just my OPINION. I was all set to buy a BH too but changed my mind after playing it for about 20 minutes - not much difference and mine's better!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Ah, maybe I was thinking of the HB GA5 having a smaller driver? Or does that have a 12" as well?
Heads up for people with Comcast-
There is a pretty good sounding demo of the Little Giant under the Guitar World demo section of On Demand
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by Hallsy
Adding to this thread, anyone who has tried both a modded VJ and the Blackheart little giant, is there much between them?
If the mods that are all over the net for the VJ turn it into what is basically the Little Giant (EQ, 3/5W, etc) then it is cheaper to buy a VJ/GA5 and spend a few quid on some components to mod it.

I'm having the same dilemma myself, main thing I see of benefit with the Blackheart is the bigger cab, but then I had considered buying a GA5 head, modding it and matching it to a decent 1x12 cab.

Decisions, decisions!!

I sense that the stock Little Giant without the EQ would be much like a Valve Jr. I think modding the VJ would make it sound better than the stock BH. I think modding the ****e out of both of them would give anyone two great sounding low wattage amps with a tone each their own.

I'm getting the Handsome Devil and I would like to eventually get a Mojo turret board w/tube rectifier mod, a transformer upgrade and Tung-Sol/JJ tubes for the head. Then, I can experiment with different speakers.

Page 1 of 2