Hey, i've been wanting to get into guitar building, but i'm quite sure i still don't have the skills requiered to start building something fancy. wouldn't it be wiser to make a strat/tele from really cheap materials to get experience?

I have a squier neck, all squier hardware, some single coils, squier tuners....MIM fender tuners...

Can anyone give me some tips how to cheaply get started in building? I probably have access to most woods with a variety of costs (mostly Oak and Pine...both really cheap)...and then there's ash which i dont know how much it costs (it's imported from america...since other american woods are like 2000 dollars per sq meter, i doubt this one's any different)...There also seems to be asian mahogany, but i also don't know the price....

So yeah...anyone has any ideas on what to do? I'm quite low on cash at the moment aswell, so i'd avoid buying any more hardware (for now).
well IMO you could start with pretty much any wood and craft out of it just to gain experiecnce, but if you seriously want to build a guitar that's playable a high quality wood might be a better choice.
You might build one from pine, so you know what you are doing when you use real wood. But pine doesn't sound good in a guitar, so it'd be just for the experience. I'm gonna do one out of pine this summer, before I build my first guitar. I think I'd be ok with just making it out of mahogany the first time, but I'd rather not screw up and ruin an expensive piece of wood.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies...yeah, i'll probably make a few test runs with pine....I wanna build a neck though, so could i just make a model one with pine aswell?

I also need a truss rod, and i probably don't want to order one from the US just yet (unless anyone knows an european solution)...could i just demolish my squier's neck to get the truss rod to use it to build necks? or it isnt worth it?
Yeah, you should be able to make a pine neck-through. I'd just buy a new truss rod. They're not that expensive, and chances are that squier truss rod isn't a good one. There are places to get a truss rod in Europe, but I don't know any. I recently bought a pretty good dual-action truss rod from Stewmac for about $20 shipped. But I'm in the US. :p
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Hey!

I've also got access to birch...will it have better tonal qualities than Fir/Pine?

I have never seen an electric been built out of birch (probably for a good reason), but i've seen extensive use of it in drum shells and acoustics.