Page 1 of 2
hello all,
i searched for an official diabetes thread. and i cant find one.
so heres one. post stories about yourself or friends.

for instance,
i recently had a mishap with my insulin pump and it ended up not working. so i had to go back onto shots. well, anyways, when i was over at my drummers. i had to take a shot when i ate. he looks at me and goes 'WHOA! dude i didnt know you did that!' so i said 'did what?' and he says 'ya know, heroin...' so i smacked him upside the head and told him i was back on shots for a week or so.

happy posting. im about to leave the house for a few hours. so maybe my thread will have grown by then? i dunno. the choice is yours UG!

UGs Diabetics UNITE!
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
last year went to a sugar nush with a friend, long story short, too much sugar and she almost died...
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I was thinking about making this thread

Anyways, shots suck. Can't really eat anything between meals (Sucks even more, seeing as I'm more of a grazer). at your friend thinking it was heroine

EDIT: ^ No. You're just having seizures, it's ok.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Well, I never have been good at controlling myself. When I was in the third grade, I was at my friends house, and we were pigging out on sugar. You know the big trash cans that you put at the end of your driveway? I filled one of those halfway full with throw up. Oh yeah, it was hot... lol
to Astro-Josh:
DAMN man, i remember this time. me and some friends pigged out on root beer and pizza. goddamn that was gnarly.
i gave one of my friends a ride home. and i toughed it out till i dropped her off. then the whole way home, i was so nauseated i could barely see. i get home and the first thing i do is go chuck in the toilet. stayed there for about an hour.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
i've had type one since i was 2, my sister's had it since she was 7. it pisses me off so much when people treat it like a big deal or a horrific thing...i manage to control mine easily, i live a totally normal life, all the people who whinge about it and the consequences that are their fault for not looking after themselves deserve a bloody good smack.

also, people who assume that it means we can't eat sugar, or were obese children. that's type 2, kids

a doctor got in trouble for writing an article on how type one is becoming more common in norfolk because of inbreeding, last year. made me laugh so hard when i read it

Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Jelous?

ignorance. i hate it. so long as we're not totally retarded we can eat anything you can...unless you're some obese twat who stuffs his face with marsbars all day. that ain't good for ANYONE.

i'm on novomix 30, three injections a day. i adjust the dose myself, cos like i said, i have excellent control. my doc is always surprised that my hba1c is so good, lol. apparently lots of teenagers don't inject at all because it's "horrible" or "embarassing", and end up being hospitalised. goddamned idiots. get over it and do what it takes to keep you alive. death by lack of insulin would be incredibly nasty.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Last edited by esther_mouse at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by esther_mouse
i've had type one since i was 2, my sister's had it since she was 7. it pisses me off so much when people treat it like a big deal or a horrific thing...i manage to control mine easily, i live a totally normal life, all the people who whinge about it and the consequences that are their fault for not looking after themselves deserve a bloody good smack.

also, people who assume that it means we can't eat sugar, or were obese children. that's type 2, kids

a doctor got in trouble for writing an article on how type one is becoming more common in norfolk because of inbreeding, last year. made me laugh so hard when i read it

What does type one entail then?

A friend of mine had it but she didn't like answering questions about it, I've always wondered what the differences are between the two, what you can't eat, etc...
Quote by esther_mouse

ignorance. i hate it. so long as we're not totally retarded we can eat anything you can...unless you're some obese twat who stuffs his face with marsbars all day. that ain't good for ANYONE.

i'm on novomix 30, three injections a day. i adjust the dose myself, cos like i said, i have excellent control. my doc is always surprised that my hba1c is so good, lol. apparently lots of teenagers don't inject at all because it's "horrible" or "embarassing", and end up being hospitalised. goddamned idiots. get over it and do what it takes to keep you alive. death by lack of insulin would be incredibly nasty.

Esther, i thought you were a struggling alcoholic?
isnt that kinda, ya know. bad for diabetics?
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
DIABETUS!

I'm that old man on a horse. Buy from Liberty Medical!
Quote by yeoman125
i thought this said dyslexics untie

It does say Diabetics Unite
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

A friend of mine had it but she didn't like answering questions about it, I've always wondered what the differences are between the two, what you can't eat, etc...

when you have type 1, your pancreas stops working all together. with type 2 it just kinda.. gets lazy (so to speak...)
when your type 1, you have to take your blood sugar a lot, possibly 6-8 times a day.
you have to be on constant insulin (either from an insulin pump, or shots)
with the pump you just set rates that are a basal for how much you take that day.
everytime you eat you gotta take extra insulin, based on how many carbohydrates you are eating.
type two isnt nearly as involved, and generally comes from being fat. to put it bluntly.
on type 2, theres more of a diet (no salt, very little fats, etc etc)
and with type one, if your on shots you have a diet. but if your on the pump like me. as long as you stick to some rules or thumb (no simple sugars without some proteins for example). in theory you can eat whatever you want. so long as you take the extra insulin for it.

if you want more info just ask one of us diabetezombies.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

we can eat totally normally, drink, smoke, whatever. i mean, it's better to eat healthily, but it is for anyone. so long as we monitor our blood sugars and have a good idea of what's going on with our bodies, and inject accordingly, we can do everything anyone else can. except fly commercial planes or scubadive solo...but i didn't wanna do that anyway

type one is generally caused by genetics. it's an auto immune disease, which means our bodies attack themselves, basically. the body starts by producing too much insulin, then because of this attacks the islets of langerhans which produce insulin in the pancreas. when they're destroyed we can't produce insulin. there's usually an 18 month honeymoon period, when we still produce some insulin, but after that it's injections all the time. people usually get this type between birth and age 20ish, which is why i believe it's referred to as "juvenile diabetes" in america. it's relatively easily controlled, so long as people aren't stupid about it.

my sister is a case in point - she needs to go onto 3 injections per day like me, but it embarasses her, so she doesn't. her blood sugar thus constantly runs high, and despite the doctors warning her of the implications (loss of eyesight, damage to feet and legs resulting in amputation, kidney failure, etc...), she ignores them because she's a bloody moron.

i have little sympathy for people like her who refuse to look after themselves. it's not terminal; it's controllable; and hell, i love the look on people's faces when they watch me inject, especially if they're scared of needles *is not mean...really...*

obviously we need to eat properly so our blood sugars don't drop too low (hypogylcaemia, hypos for short), and if they do (it happens, especially at that time of the month, when we're ill (although being ill can make it too high, as well, it's harder to control), if we don't eat enough to keep us going, if we do strenuous exercise (passing out during sex was really not fun lol), and so on) we get various warning symptoms that we can learn to recognise, and need fast acting sugar followed by slow acting sugar (carbohydrate). so like, a snickers bar and a glass of milk would be good, or sugar cubes and some bread, stuff like that. orange juice and ordinary cola is good, too, it has a lot of sugar in it so raises it fast. a really bad one requires a glucogen injection. in the arse or thighs. thankfully you're too out of it to feel more than a disconnected stinging

i could say loads more but i'm probably boring people lol...if you have a diabetic friend, watch out for if they get upset or tearful, pale, confused, glazed eyes, weird stuff. it probably means they're going low.

there's also high blood sugars, if we don't inject enough usually, or stuff ourselves stupid or whatever. these are ultimately more dangerous; consistently running high blood sugars is what generally causes long term problems like the ones i described above. i don't know how the american blood sugar levels translate, but in england between 3 and 9 is generally a good blood sugar. my sister runs constantly at between 15 and 20, which is retarded and incredibly dangerous. people can still have hypos, at 3, however, it depends on the circumstances sometimes, like if it drops suddenly, which is why it's good to know your body and how it reacts as well as just testing your blood. having good control means you have warning signs that let you know - tingling lips, mouth, fingers, head, feeling wobbly, tearful, dizzy, sick, angry. high blood sugars can cause headaches, nausea, incredible pissed-off-ness for no reason, and generally feeling like crap. injecting fast acting insulin is the best way to lower it, although i suppose going for a brisk jog helps...i'd rather inject than run while i feel sick, tbh

i could go on about that too, but that probably says enough for people who don't know about diabetes...lol.

if anyone wants more info you can always PM me, cos i would much rather explain it to a few people than have people not know anything and leave me for drunk in a street when really i'm just having a hypo and they're too stupid to know what to do lol

and diabetics, for god's sake, don't be embarassed or whatever like my sister. she's gonna end up like some people i saw in hospital. one had a disgusting gangrenous foot because she didn't inject, another had her whole leg off. a few injections versus losing my leg...hm. i choose to look after myself, thank you very much

oh yeah, type two, i'll cover it quickly; more common in obese people, can be caused by other things (excessive drinking, etc...). basically, the pancreas still produces some insulin, and many people with this type don't have to inject, but instead control it with pills and by carefully monitoring their diet. this type would suck more, imo, because they really can't eat sugary tasty stuff . if they can't control it, they can also have to inject.

oh, yeah, quickly, alcohol. alcohol lowers your blood sugar, but the effects can not be felt til the next day, along with a gorgeous hangover. this is why alcopops can be dangerous...the sugar raises your blood sugar really high, so you might inject to lower it, but then the alcohol lowers it too, meaning a sudden hypo. stick to better drinks, i say anyway, lol. alcopops are crap. all alcohol lowers the blood sugar though, so eat some pasta or bread before you drink much

that's it for now lol...

edit: oh yeah, here in the UK we only have insulin pumps if we can't control it otherwise. and you don't HAVE to test your blood sugar much, but it is a good idea.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
<//////>~ dA
I find too many people BELIEVE that eating too much sugar causes diabetes, although eating sugar does play a part. people need to realize its not a direct cause.... my mother annoys me she keeps saying "dont eat sugar! your gonna die of diabetes ..." sigh lol
Yea, my flat mate is type 1 diabetic and he controlls it so well!! He eats exactly the same food as everyone else, but he just injects more/less insulin depending.
Whenever he checks his sugar levels we place bets, he can always tell EXACTLY what it is tho.
Quote by Mask_of_Terror
Yea, my flat mate is type 1 diabetic and he controlls it so well!! He eats exactly the same food as everyone else, but he just injects more/less insulin depending.
Whenever he checks his sugar levels we place bets, he can always tell EXACTLY what it is tho.

lol, he sounds like me how old is he out of interest? and when did he get it?
<//////>~ dA
Esther is smarter than me...

/fail

on a serious note, Esther (you sound smarter than me so ill ask for this help)
im running high a lot (oh btw here in the states normal is 80-120 or so)
like as in 200-300, almost constantly. i try to keep em down but ill forget ONE little insulin injection (bolus for the pump, which is what im on)
and ill run high all day and finally get it down and then **** up again.
any tips for me to help me not forget that one time?
and should i take more than i think i should for things like white rice and some sausage? i always run high after that particular meal.
sorry, i know im a 'bloody' moron (haha! see i used your word)
but you seem more mature and smarter than me (plus your british, brits are smarter than us)

edit:
i feel so dumb, ive had diabetes since i was 15 months old (as long as i can remember)
so i should know by now. but i used to be in perfect health! maybe teenagedom makes us dumber so i forget more? (btw im 15)
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by p o e
Esther, i thought you were a struggling alcoholic?
isnt that kinda, ya know. bad for diabetics?

i'm not an alcoholic, what the hell makes you think that? :s

my user title is alcoholic elite, it means i enjoy and am discerning about what i drink, ie, alcoholic beverages

Quote by p o e
Esther is smarter than me...

/fail

on a serious note, Esther (you sound smarter than me so ill ask for this help)
im running high a lot (oh btw here in the states normal is 80-120 or so)
like as in 200-300, almost constantly. i try to keep em down but ill forget ONE little insulin injection (bolus for the pump, which is what im on)
and ill run high all day and finally get it down and then **** up again.
any tips for me to help me not forget that one time?
and should i take more than i think i should for things like white rice and some sausage? i always run high after that particular meal.
sorry, i know im a 'bloody' moron (haha! see i used your word)
but you seem more mature and smarter than me (plus your british, brits are smarter than us)

erm, what i recommend is doing a blood sugar test before and after meals for a few days, like, eating what you typically eat and injecting what you typically use insulin-wise. make a note of it and see if there's a correlation - it's normal for your sugar to raise a bit after a meal, to 10 or 11 in british measurements, i don't know what that is for you, sorry

if it remains high after a meal, though, for hours, i mean, then you might need to use a couple of extra units of insulin before that meal. if you constantly run high, it might be an idea to use a bit more anyway. ask your doctor what his/her opinion is, but if you're not gonna see them, i'd say have a good breakfast with lots of carbohydrate - think stuff like porridge, preferably not sugary stuff as this will make it harder to control - you can always eat nicer stuff when you get it sorted , and use say 2 more units before that meal. then have a snack mid morning, if your blood sugar is dipping a bit, which it may, or mid afternoon, as well...eat a good lunch and dinner, too, carbohydrates to keep your sugar levels stable. you might find you need to inject less at dinner this way. also, if you want chocolate or something, it's best to have it with a meal, rather than randomly throughout the day. it balances the sugar and insulin out more that way.

as for forgetting injections, i dunno what to suggest really...i've had it since i was 2, i can't remember not injecting, it's like breathing for me :\ erm...maybe set an alarm on your phone or something...? if you DO forget, inject then instead, with either quick acting or your normal insulin, to bring it down. make sure you test your blood sugar levels! if they start falling fast, eat a sandwich or something, and have a glass of juice with it. that should hopefully balance it out. but forgetting to inject does kinda make you just feel crap :\ i've done it a couple of times, being high is horrible

it's probably best to ask your doc about your insulin, if you're running constantly high, though, he might recommend a higher dose or something. good luck
<//////>~ dA
Last edited by esther_mouse at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by esther_mouse
i'm not an alcoholic, what the hell makes you think that? :s

my user title is alcoholic elite, it means i enjoy and am discerning about what i drink, ie, alcoholic beverages

im just pokin' fun at ya, sorry
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by esther_mouse
oh yeah, type two, i'll cover it quickly; more common in obese people, can be caused by other things (excessive drinking, etc...). basically, the pancreas still produces some insulin, and many people with this type don't have to inject, but instead control it with pills and by carefully monitoring their diet. this type would suck more, imo, because they really can't eat sugary tasty stuff . if they can't control it, they can also have to inject.

Type II is acquired as opposed to genetic when your insulin receptors become insensitive.

So insulin has no regulation over your blood sugar and you've got to do it more through diet.

That's my understanding anyway.

(I should know this in detail but I haven't got around to studying it fully yet)
oh, by the way, americans, how do you get your insulin? like, who pays for it? because over here we get it on the NHS for free, but you don't have the equivalent, so i was wondering.
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse
oh, by the way, americans, how do you get your insulin? like, who pays for it? because over here we get it on the NHS for free, but you don't have the equivalent, so i was wondering.

They have Medicaid which is like NHS-super lite which would probably cover it.
Quote by freedoms_stain
They have Medicaid which is like NHS-super lite which would probably cover it.

ah right cos i was gonna say, people would go broke if they had to pay for all their insulin and pens or syringes or pumps and meters and sticks and everything themselves, lol.
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse

basically i get it by getting my doctor to give me a Rx, then i go to the pharmacy and give em the Rx and some cash.

insurance makes it so you dont pay as much, but its still a bundle.

my girlfriend is diabetic too, and her family is having money issues. sometimes its a choice between her insulin and they're dinner that night.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by p o e
basically i get it by getting my doctor to give me a Rx, then i go to the pharmacy and give em the Rx and some cash.

insurance makes it so you dont pay as much, but its still a bundle.

my girlfriend is diabetic too, and her family is having money issues. sometimes its a choice between her insulin and they're dinner that night.

that really really sucks it's wrong to have to pay for something which you need to keep you alive.
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse
that really really sucks it's wrong to have to pay for something which you need to keep you alive.

i strongly agree. thats why when i can afford it, and when im ready. im moving out of the country. probably england, maybe canada.

my girlfriend wants to go with me if we're still together. but its all in kind of a bind. so we cant really afford it for a long, long while.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by p o e
i strongly agree. thats why when i can afford it, and when im ready. im moving out of the country. probably england, maybe canada.

my girlfriend wants to go with me if we're still together. but its all in kind of a bind. so we cant really afford it for a long, long while.

yeah...good luck with that, i think it's horribly unfair to have to pay for your medicine.
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse
yeah...good luck with that, i think it's horribly unfair to have to pay for your medicine.

your preachin' to the choir.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Well I don't have it, but my mate got diagnosed with type 1 about a month or 2 ago. Went into a coma and got rushed to hospital in an ambulance at about 5am, after a week of feeling really ill. Have to admit I was ****ting myself when I found out...
Wow Esther, congrats an being able to inject yourself 3 times a day. (I'm afraid of needles)
You must be able to do it blindfolded by now.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by esther_mouse
lol, he sounds like me how old is he out of interest? and when did he get it?

Hes 27 and he said he was diagnosed with it when he was like 6 months old!
Quote by iceman_8319
Wow Esther, congrats an being able to inject yourself 3 times a day. (I'm afraid of needles)
You must be able to do it blindfolded by now.

lol, they're not painful, the needles are kinda ickle (5mm and thin), and i've been doing it my whole life soo

and yeah, i can do it on the bus, in the dark, on trains, in cars, on planes, while half asleep, while drunk...lol, practice makes perfect.

i think most people who are scared of needles would probably lose their fear quickly if ot was a choice between inject or feel like crap...and if you don't inject, you really do feel like crap, lol. doing an injection is a tiny tiny pain compared to projectile vomiting on stuff while your head splits in two (well, feels like that)
<//////>~ dA
I have type 1, used to have 6 shots a day now i have an insulin pump. Public ignorance of diabetes is so bad.
Page 1 of 2