hey...sorry i feel a little out my depth here being a pit monkey. buti am seriously considering picking up the bass. im only ever going to be a medicocre guitarist, and i always find myself watching the bassists and being more impressed with them then the guitarists.

so, when it comes to buying a bass, what should you look for? i mean things like action, feelingsofthe strings, distances sound etc etc
cheers. i was looking at this.

http://www.wightbay.com/XCClassifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=153457

i dont mind having a **** brand, becuase theirs a good chance that ill upgrade within 6 months if i still like to play and make progress.
I see you're on the IoW...don't know if you have any good instrument shops there but if you're heading over to the mainland any time soon go to Sound Control in Southampton.

Can't tell you much about that J copy you linked to - just looks like a generic Fender clone.

Oh - give the bass forum FAQ a read - there's some suggestions of starter basses in there that's worth a read.
Quote by slann101
im only ever going to be a mediocre guitarist.

who said bass was going to be easier. stop perpetuating the stereotype that bad guitar players play bass. Just dedicate yourself to the instrument instead of being lazy because the bass won't be any different if you approach it with the same attitude.
Quote by sangosimo
who said bass was going to be easier. stop perpetuating the stereotype that bad guitar players play bass. Just dedicate yourself to the instrument instead of being lazy because the bass won't be any different if you approach it with the same attitude.

i never said i thought bass is easier then guitar. and tbh i will probably carry on playing guitar as well as playing bass. but, as a whole, i know find the bass linesin songs more interesting then the guitar work, like the bass solo in sell out by the levellers.
understanding guitar helps you understand bass. (know your fretboard!)

if you were starting on bass and moving to 6 string, I would say the reverse of the same thing.

KNOW YOUR FRETBOARD!

being mediocre is a behavior perpetuated by attitude. tell yourself you're going to learn how to play very well, and practice material that helps teach you. Then you'll be better than fine, you'll be great.

bass <> guitar (neither is better > than.)

doubt is of the devil. kinda like capitalism.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by Guitar_Jester
Take a look at Ibanez and Epiphone

OK, when chosing gear, there are two ground rules this forum likes to impose.

1)Don't get an Epiphone bass.
2)Don't get a Behringer amp.

Search bar if you really want to see why.

The FAQ at the top of the page contains a list of beginner basses and amps. COme back if you have any more questions .
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
you guys have been great thanks. ill take your advice on the epiphone and behringer...my guitar amps behringer, but i have heard bad things.

thanks for the comment on switching between the axes jedilly... i understand that because i can play guitar doesnt mean i can jump on bass. i look forward to the challenge.

SMB - we have 3. 2 are overpriced and quite intimitating, while i kinda fell out with the 3rd. ill keep an eye out of the southampton store.

sangosimo-....yea, helpful.

cheers gmjack for the great conclusion and the top tip of no behringer and epip. cheers guys, the forums need more ppl like you.
Quote by sangosimo

so true.
I started bass about 8 months after starting guitar and played both.
I used a pick to play faster songs until I could build up my plucking speed then made the transition.
Many years later I am good on two instruments.

Never think you will not improve,
you will subconsiously, and psychosomatically make yourself suck on guitar by thinking that way.
Confidence, discipline and patience are all you need to get better.

try practicing a difficult song slowly then build up speed and accuracy after time with a metronome.

As for a good starter bass I would recommend an Ibanez GIO bass.
You could easily net one for $170.00 on eBay new, and you might find a used one for even less.

Squire makes good entry level basses, too.
Cheers!
Quote by sangosimo

AMEN

and if anything, I almost see bass as being HARDER then guitar
Quote by slann101
hey...sorry i feel a little out my depth here being a pit monkey. buti am seriously considering picking up the bass. im only ever going to be a medicocre guitarist, and i always find myself watching the bassists and being more impressed with them then the guitarists.

so, when it comes to buying a bass, what should you look for? i mean things like action, feelingsofthe strings, distances sound etc etc

Bass is actually harder to master in the long run then guitar.
Quote by strummin67
My first bass set up was a MIM Pbass and a KMD 100w amp. I didn't spend much on them but they were enough to make up my mind about wanting to play bass.

yea...thats why (hopefully) im going for an advert with a bass, a 10-15watt amp, a small 5w marshall amp, bag and leads for about £100
lol every1s freakin out and he didnt even say that bass was easier...he just said he was impressed by the way they played....and dude u can be great at anyhting with enough practise....jus confidence and practise.....dont underestimate yourself
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by blayzin420
lol every1s freakin out and he didnt even say that bass was easier...he just said he was impressed by the way they played....and dude u can be great at anyhting with enough practise....jus confidence and practise.....dont underestimate yourself

i know! i lo'd at that as well.

tbh, ive been thinking about it. and i am actually really excited about starting bass. theres something that appeals to me about playing the backbone, making the rythem that people dance to.
For me it's the lower tone. Even in 4th grade I chose the Viola over the Violin because I prefered the low C to the high E. (and I just didn't want to carry a Cello to and from school)

I have an acoustic guitar and a bass, and I'll practice the Acoustic for an hour, then play the bass for 3-4. (not that I can really play anything yet)
sounds like a good schedule...i would try that if i had 4-5 hours tospare : /

on a side note, how long would you say it takes toget to band level? ramonesy kinda stuff. the ability to hold a solid beat is a must, i understand.
Wooo go bass, i got one a week ago, its heaps fun
My guitar has no brand, i got it second hand you see, its very sus.. But anyways. The action is about 4-5mm, is that alot when it comes to action on a bass?
I was alo very impressed with bass players, and i thought that in ways it sounds cooler than electric guitar.. Btw i have no amp yet, but am saving up for one :P
Quote by Judge_David
Wooo go bass, i got one a week ago, its heaps fun
My guitar has no brand, i got it second hand you see, its very sus.. But anyways. The action is about 4-5mm, is that alot when it comes to action on a bass?
I was alo very impressed with bass players, and i thought that in ways it sounds cooler than electric guitar.. Btw i have no amp yet, but am saving up for one :P

what this guy said ^
Just prepare to be bored with some newer songs because most just copy the guitar riff and throw the root note of it on bass guitar.

of course there's still really good bass lines for some songs..

although I'm not too sure what you outa' get, I've played some good Jackson and Ibanez basses

Just make sure to have a decent amp..
My friend had a starter pack, sounded awful
then he plugged his starter Ibanez into a simple 30 watt Hartke bass amp at my house and it sounded excellent.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Just prepare to be bored with some newer songs because most just copy the guitar riff and throw the root note of it on bass guitar.

although I'm not too sure what you outa' get, I've played some good Jackson and Ibanez basses

then he plugged his starter Ibanez into a simple 30 watt Hartke bass amp at my house and it sounded excellent.

In that case, look at older music. Take any major influential band and listen to the bass line. Old Motown with James Jamerson would be a good starting point.

Everything you hear today has some connection to the past.
Quote by smb
I see you're on the IoW...don't know if you have any good instrument shops there but if you're heading over to the mainland any time soon go to Sound Control in Southampton.

Can't tell you much about that J copy you linked to - just looks like a generic Fender clone.

Oh - give the bass forum FAQ a read - there's some suggestions of starter basses in there that's worth a read.

True true the FAQ forum.....it lists the P-bass and the J-bass and other cheaper yet decent bass guitars.....I for one am in the same position you are in....I'm okay at guitar, but I just started getting into bass....I got a 4 string Rogue for about 125 and it sounds okay, for a Rogue...so yeah....FAQ forum....
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Quote by TechnicolorType

This reminds me....make sure you read the whole FAQ forum.....It says in there that for a bass you HAVE to have a bass amp.....cuz the guitar amp can't handle a bass for too long, but a bass amp is always good to have cuz you can run either a guitar or a bass through it.....and yeah, no starter packs....
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Last edited by fattymcfatten at Mar 15, 2008,
xD.

It looks like an ok bass.

And I like the fact it has a Blink-182 sticker at the top right corner.
Join the BLINK-182 Fan Club!

Anything a Blink fan would want, is here
Quote by BADASSxBASSIST
xD.

It looks like an ok bass.

And I like the fact it has a Blink-182 sticker at the top right corner.

oh god no....i prefer the linkin park one. still, their coming off if i get it