is learning the scales really that important? i know alot of riffs and things and i am decently good at making up my own solos and rhythm, but would i really see a huge increase in ability if i sit down and learn them??
Quote by SA215OL
is learning the scales really that important? i know alot of riffs and things and i am decently good at making up my own solos and rhythm, but would i really see a huge increase in ability if i sit down and learn them??

It's as important to you as learning more about music is important to you. There
aren't any guarantees. More than likely you won't see any huge increases in
your ability. Memorizing scales is one thing, understanding them is another.
By applying what you've learned and memorized, understanding will come with time.
It's understanding that will open up your abilities.
Learn your theory n00b!
Scales are very important, what if someone wants you to jam over chords? what you gona do then?
Plus how the hell do you make up stuff? I mean where do you start?

Trust me if you learn your scales, things will come so much easier, and your riffs will really get better, theres no other excuse for not learning them except for lazyness....
Learning your scales is not about lead guitar or jamming. It's about learning the fretboard, learning the relationship between notes. The first step in training your ear to the underlying functions(and beauty) of harmony. If none of those things sound important to you...well don't learn scales.

And as an added bonus, you'll be able to play lead guitar and jam.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Lum
Learn your theory n00b!
Scales are very important, what if someone wants you to jam over chords? what you gona do then?
Plus how the hell do you make up stuff? I mean where do you start?

Trust me if you learn your scales, things will come so much easier, and your riffs will really get better, theres no other excuse for not learning them except for lazyness....

Actually i play everything by ear. i kknow what sounds good, but i dont know like the names of scales or the notes on the fretboard. i play over chords all the time in my band. i just play by what i remember sounds good on the guitar.
Quote by SA215OL
Actually i play everything by ear. i kknow what sounds good, but i dont know like the names of scales or the notes on the fretboard. i play over chords all the time in my band. i just play by what i remember sounds good on the guitar.

Are there ever times when you play a note and it doesn't sound good? That is, you're not sure how it will sound, so you try it out and it doesn't mix well?

Because learning scales and interval relationships will make it so that happens much less often.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
If you play by ear, it must take a long time to find the note you want,
and if you play from memory your playing must be very very limited.
Here's my feelings...

Learning the scales is very important if you plan to play with other musicians. Theory is a common ground that allows musicians to communicate and play together.

If you are just creating music for your own personal enjoyment, then who are any of us to tell you how to go about that. That being said, I do feel that you will open up a whole new world to yourself by learning some theory.

Just my two pennies.
I have a friend who sounds just like you. He didn't know any music theory whatsoever until about a month ago but he could play a lot of solos from the tab and he played decent enough improvisations when we were jamming. Then about three or four months ago I taught him the minor pentatonic and the blues scale and it has elevated his playing to another level. So no you don't NEED theory but it helps your playing immensely.

But also knowing how to apply it is equally as important if not more so.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.