Any music. Guitars aren't made solely for one genre.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

+1
Manchester United
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

This is true.
Quote by Tdevil333
This is true.

If you knew it was true then why did you ask the question?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Depends on the explorer in question

I mean identical explorers 1 with EMGs and gain boosters and 1 with some vintage paf, or jazz pups are going to be good at entirely differnt things.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you knew it was true then why did you ask the question?

Read my question. I asked what genre was it best for. Not what genre could I play with it.
Any kind. The explorers dont have the best high-fret access and the stock pickups are pretty hot. The ceramic pick-ups are IMO more suited for metal. I don't like the sound of the 500T so i'm planning to replace it in my Explorer, since i play rock and want a warmer tone. Though it gives a good palm mute "chunk" for metal.

EDIT: im talking about the new 76 stock explorers, since i thought you meant them.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Although i would doubt you could play downtuned death metal on a single coil strat. Or maybe it would just look gay
Quote by KnarkoV
Any kind. The explorers dont have the best high-fret access and the stock pickups are pretty hot. The ceramic pick-ups are IMO more suited for metal. I don't like the sound of the 500T so i'm planning to replace it in my Explorer, since i play rock and want a warmer tone. Though it gives a good palm mute "chunk" for metal.

Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for.
Quote by Tdevil333
Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for.

No problem...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by metal_freak_cam
i use my explorer for more of a heavy metal sound....

Your name is Metal Freak Cam.

^

Quote by I am Samuel
There's not a straight answer to this question. I mean The Edge of U2 plays one, as did that guy in the Killers, and lots of metal bands favour them.

However, the explorer probably isn't the most versatile guitar. I have one (2001 '76 reissue), and whilst it's wonderful to play feel-wise (lightweight and nice neck), I really don't like the sound that much (i am an indie boy I guess). It's currently a rather expensive doorstop which hasn't seen use in about 2 or so years. I prefer my MIM strat.

Slash used one for the recording of the Knockin On Heaven's Door solo!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I think Explorers are awesome. The looks are great, tons of wood = more sustain

The bad thing is, they don't have floating trems, but the Jackson kelly's do, and they're like a sliced up explorer

Check those out if you want a trem.

Explorers have a pretty warm sound, you can't get a twang out of them really :/