Poll: Should the United States pass a law to institute prayer in all public school?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should the United States pass a law to institute prayer in all public school?
Yes, 100%
1 1%
It should be allowed, but not instituted
24 25%
Yes, I believe that prayer should be combined with learning
1 1%
No, schools are a place for learning, not religion
21 22%
No, the Government has no right to do so
13 14%
No, 100%
35 37%
Voters: 95.
Hey guys, just a quick survey, which is just a poll. I need this for Debate class

EDIT: Yes, I realized I misspelled Opinion. Sorry. Poll is up now
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Last edited by silhouettica at Mar 11, 2008,
what is the ?
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
Huh?
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Where is the poll and 'oppinion' on what?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I'm in Britain so meh
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Treaty of Tripoli, signed in 1787. Passed unanimously in the Senate (only the third such unanimous vote of the first 339 recorded votes in the early Senate).
Quote by blue_strat
"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Treaty of Tripoli, signed in 1787. Passed unanimously in the Senate (only the third such unanimous vote of the first 339 recorded votes in the early Senate).

Thanks! That is very useful to me, but remember, this is prayer in general, not just for Christianity
Acrasia

Wings Denied
Quote by silhouettica
Thanks! That is very useful to me, but remember, this is prayer in general, not just for Christianity

So atheist get to pray to Darwin?
Fair enough if schools want to have a religion class (like catholic schools for example) but it should never be legally required to force religion on anyone.
Religion totally contradicts the point of education, which is to learn to think and overcome problems for yourself.

Keep religion out of schools, unless you want a brainwashed, weak society.
It's become a bit of a "hot potato" in the UK. Because of the increase in multi-racial communities and political correctness gone completely haywire, some schools have banned kids wearing a simple cross in case it upsets any of the other religious groups in the school. This started because some schools were trying to prevent the muslim girls from wearing their veils.
Strange the poll appeared later.

Anyway, no they shouldn't.
I really can't see how religious schools are a good thing.
People shouldn't force religion on their children, if anything there should only be religious schools for adults who aren't so susceptible to one person's (the teacher) idea and actually think about what they're learning, take their own interpretation and know that they want to learn what they're being taught.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
It can't be a requirement by any means. But kids must be allowed to pray if they want.
Is this really an issue? Seems to me like we've had it right for quite a while.
Except for "under God" in the pledge of allegiance
as much as they try and say it's anyones god
it's Mary's baby daddy all the way
As for prayer, I would say that they wouldn't have the right to institute it in schools. Some may point to the fact that evolution is taught in schools, so intelligent design should be too; however, evolution has been suggested and investigated as a scientific theory, and does not in itself profess any existence or non-existence of God. Intelligent design incorporates a divine being into its theory, and is therefore the realm of religion, not science. Religious beliefs should only be taught in schools to let students understand how cultures differ in this way (for example, comparing Islam to Hinduism to Christianity to Sikhism etc), not to indoctrinate students to any one religion.
Quote by blue_strat
As for prayer, I would say that they wouldn't have the right to institute it in schools. Some may point to the fact that evolution is taught in schools, so intelligent design should be too; however, evolution has been suggested and investigated as a scientific theory, and does not in itself profess any existence or non-existence of God. Intelligent design incorporates a divine being into its theory, and is therefore the realm of religion, not science. Religious beliefs should only be taught in schools to let students understand how cultures differ in this way (for example, comparing Islam to Hinduism to Christianity to Sikhism etc), not to indoctrinate students to any one religion.

+1

And it's an insult to everyone who doesn't believe in the christian god.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by blue_strat
Religious beliefs should only be taught in schools to let students understand how cultures differ in this way (for example, comparing Islam to Hinduism to Christianity to Sikhism etc), not to indoctrinate students to any one religion.

Quite right and that is in fact how my 9yr old son is being taught in his school. I went to school (in the dark ages) in Ireland,... then it was ONLY catholism,... no other religion existed as far as they were concerned.

Taught by nuns all my life, suffice to say these days I don't believe in any god, my son will make up his own mind one day.

If they could just teach everyone to take all the best bits from each one and just try to be nice to people.....

<meanders off into dream like state...>
What about the idea of different religions being represented?
Acrasia

Wings Denied
i used to go to a catholic convent primary school where we had payers everyday ( in fact i was chosen to lead the prayers for a year... cough) umm well i dont think the government has the right to FORCE everyone to pray. so only catholic schools or religious school should be allowed to have prayer sessions. and in such schools students should know even before they enroll into the school that there will be praying, so that they have a choice of not enrolling into that school if it makes them uncomfortable.
I believe children should be educated about various religions, but I don't think they should be pressured into observance of any by the school they attend.
Quote by Kensai
+1

And it's an insult to everyone who doesn't believe in the christian god.

It's... It's a different world, Kjell-man. It's just a different world.