Page 1 of 2
XxLloydxX
UG's Pro Guitarrist
1,558 IQ
I love Petrucci's tone but I can't get the right sound out of my pedal and amp.
I'm pretty sure it's because of my small and sh4ty equipment.
I'm mainly looking for his Tone on Glasgow Kiss
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YWXpHl9sGk

I have VOXAD30VT as my amp, and BOSS GT-3 as an effects pedal and a Peavey Wolfgang asd a guitar.

Ok so this is my question, is it POSSIBLE to come really near his tone? Or is there no way with my equipment? I have gotten close, but not THAT close.

And if it isn't possible, what should I get rid of, and what equipment at least should I get to catch his tone?
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
handlerb
534 IQ
yeah, its easy to get his ton. All you need is about $20,000
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor
1,481 IQ
The amps he use are Mesa/Boogie stacks, so if there's a Rectifier setting on your amp or pedal, then that would get about as close as you're going to get.
XxLloydxX
UG's Pro Guitarrist
1,558 IQ
Quote by blue_strat
The amps he use are Mesa/Boogie stacks, so if there's a Rectifier setting on your amp or pedal, then that would get about as close as you're going to get.

Could you explain what a rectifier is?
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Gibson_Left
Banned
71 IQ
Quote by Luppi
90% Fingers n 10% Gear

Nope not even close to true. Maybe for some of the solos.

But to the OP if you have a Road King and a Mark IV you shouldn't have any problem getting his tone
DeadMansCurve
1,249 IQ
Quote by Luppi
90% Fingers n 10% Gear

Thats not true at all. I know some tone is in the fingers but nowhere near that statistic.

And to get his tone you would have to buy the equipment he uses. Or try and find a high gain amp with a smooth distortion and use high output pickups. And for a lot of his lead he uses the neck pickup.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Mar 12, 2008,
abcdboy
2,301 IQ
I wouldn't say 90% is in fingers...It does matter, but not to the point where you can't emulate another's tone with the proper gear.

Anyways, on topic. JP has seriously the most insanely good tone, and it is impossible to match it unless you've got like 50 grand to spare. Really. His setup is so ridiculously versatile, and everything is so clean and tight...You've got to have money to make that happen.

To make due with what you've got, I'd just fiddle around until I hear something I like.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Mar 12, 2008,
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Quote by Luppi
90% Fingers n 10% Gear

No, tone is in the gear. Fingers have nothing to do with it.

To the threadstarter: Good luck. A Road King or a Mark IV would be your best bet, depending on which album's tone you want.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Erich yeung
UG's China Man
508 IQ
^ not true either. I would say more like 20 percent of tone comes from the fingers, and 80 percent the gear.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
.:Darkness:.
Stiny, Get me a danish!
1,697 IQ
John petrucci's tone is the best tone I've ever heard. But, as others labeled, you'd need to fork out a huge sum of money to get that tone.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Quote by Erich yeung
^ not true either. I would say more like 20 percent of tone comes from the fingers, and 80 percent the gear.

No, tone is all in the gear. Guitarist sound different because they articulate notes differently, but if you gave me Vai's gear, my tone would be exactly the same. At the most, you'll get very minor tonal difference resulting from the angle of the pick, or how far away from the bridge you're hitting the strings.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 12, 2008,
trashbeast
483 IQ
Quote by Say Ocean
So if he was playing through a Deluxe Reverb it would be 90% there? Okay

Precisely. if john petrucci played a squier through a squier amp it would still sound like john petrucci's tone!
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Quote by trashbeast
Precisely. if john petrucci played a squier through a squier amp it would still sound like john petrucci's tone!

No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't sound even remotely similar.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, tone is all in the gear. Guitarist sound different because they articulate notes differently, but if you gave me Vai's gear, my tone would be exactly the same. At the most, you'll get very minor tonal difference resulting from the angle of the pick, or how far away from the bridge you're hitting the strings.

+1

Quote by trashbeast

No, you'd still know it was trooch playing because his playing is distinctive; you can tell if it's him or one of his songs because his solo style is distinctive. If he played through a Marshall it would sound like trooch because you know the way he plays, the tone would be completely different.

TS: He has a stupidly huge rig for live shows and for recording you can forget about getting that tone exactly to be honest, I would just try to find a tone that you like from your amp and stop trying to emulate other people.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig
1,400 IQ
I own both the roadking and Mark IV, can't quite get his tone precisely. The fact that he used 3-4 roadkings at once, and 2 marks at once on top of about $8,000 in effects processors (3eventides+2gforce+dunlop rack wah) He's going to have a hard tone to mimic.

To get something close to his sound you're going to need a pretty snarling medium-high gain to high gain tube amp, Overdrive, and some pretty hot pickups. A peavey 6505+ stack at a local store gave me a similar metal tone to petrucci with the mids boosted. The lead tone was still quite a bit off. Petrucci's lead tone has less gain than the rhythm tone. The rhythm tone is modern channel 4 on roadking (ballsy as it gets) while the lead tone is vintage channel 3, bit sizzlier but not as overall distored, think a pushed marshall (van halen or Joe Satch) tone.

You can pick up 5150 combos, which are simlar amps, IMO, not quite as meaty as the head/cab but overall much better than the Vox, for under $700.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
jerm__
2,646 IQ
^ he scoops his mids..disappointed.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig
1,400 IQ
Quote by jerm__

It's a mark IV.

If you don't scoop the mids it sounds awful. There are 2 mid adjustments on that amp too. The EQ mids are pretty high, the GEQ are cut, which in the end gives you a fairly flat overall EQ curve.

If anything the treble is a bit boosted.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor
1,481 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis

Plus the amount of pressure with which you fret notes, your vibrato, your sense of phrasing and rhythm, how hard or soft you pick in various contexts ...

Your fingers have a huge impact on the sound that comes out of your amplifier. I don't know if you're being more specific here with the terminology of "tone".
Quote by MESAexplorer
fail

I was only showing him what Rectifier models are supposed to emulate, not the exact gear that Petrucci uses.
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Your fingers have a huge impact on the sound that comes out of your amplifier. I don't know if you're being more specific here with the terminology of "tone".

Vibrato isn't tone.
Phrasing isn't tone.
Rhythm isn't tone.
dcdossett65
Doesn't listen to UO..
4,565 IQ
Quote by Say Ocean
So if he was playing through a Deluxe Reverb it would be 90% there? Okay

you know it! haha
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
XxLloydxX
UG's Pro Guitarrist
1,558 IQ
Thanks a lot for all of your help, when I get enough money (if i'll ever do) i'll buy some of his equipment. A day after I made this thread I sat on my effects pedal and amp and started trying out and fixing some equalization on my pedal and the amp...

Finally after a few hours I was able to get something simliar to Glasgow Kiss' tone, I'm very happy with it even if it doesn't sound exactly...

I got another question though, does he basically use the same "effect" for every distortion he records or plays, but with diffrent equalization in each song? Wait, does he even use an equalizer? I still have to learn on how to make a distortion sound with power. Btw, I noticed I had to switch the compressor on my pedal on to get that thick distortion...I never knew what a "compressor" actually does, it's supposed to compress but it seems like it makes the sound thicker.

I also compared his tone with many other great guitarists, and in my opinion there's no other tone that beats his...his is perfect, he really works hard to get get to where he wants to.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
CanCan
UG Addict
840 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis

I pity you. I truly do.
Guitarmiester
Three Minute Warning
1,830 IQ
Quote by jerm

What's the problem?

Quote by Archeo Avis
Vibrato isn't tone.
Phrasing isn't tone.
Rhythm isn't tone.

Sorry to say it, but you're wrong. Without a good vibrato, tasteful phrasing, and a good sense of rhythm, you'll sound like **** no matter who/what rig you're playing through.
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig
1,400 IQ
Quote by Guitarmiester

Sorry to say it, but you're wrong. Without a good vibrato, tasteful phrasing, and a good sense of rhythm, you'll sound like **** no matter who/what rig you're playing through.

Correct, you sound like ****, not your tone. It's just that a good tone is useless if the player sucks.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
mitch311
UG's only guitarist
513 IQ
Quote by XxLloydxX
Thanks a lot for all of your help, when I get enough money (if i'll ever do) i'll buy some of his equipment. A day after I made this thread I sat on my effects pedal and amp and started trying out and fixing some equalization on my pedal and the amp...

Finally after a few hours I was able to get something simliar to Glasgow Kiss' tone, I'm very happy with it even if it doesn't sound exactly...

I got another question though, does he basically use the same "effect" for every distortion he records or plays, but with diffrent equalization in each song? Wait, does he even use an equalizer? I still have to learn on how to make a distortion sound with power. Btw, I noticed I had to switch the compressor on my pedal on to get that thick distortion...I never knew what a "compressor" actually does, it's supposed to compress but it seems like it makes the sound thicker.

I also compared his tone with many other great guitarists, and in my opinion there's no other tone that beats his...his is perfect, he really works hard to get get to where he wants to.
Can you tell me the settings you found out?
TheShred201
Back From The Dead
1,486 IQ
^Compression makes the loud notes quieter and the quiet notes louder for a more even range of dynamics.

Amps have equalization on them, so Yes he does use an equalizer. Mark IV's have additional graphic EQ's along with their normal EQ's.

He doesn't use an effect pedal for the majority of his distortion, so if that's what you mean no. If you are simply referring to his tone, then yes and no. While his distorted tones are all distorted, some have more/less gain, some are more fluid, some oare more sizzly, etc.

If you want, I believe I have a magazine where he actually gives settings for his mark IV.
SQHero
Look Another Day...
65 IQ
Dude, JP's Overlord gear is designed by NASA. Unless your uncle works there, you are not eligible for the Overlord tone.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
FarazRahman
17 IQ
I would define "Tone" as the way in which the sounds that come from the guitar come through different gear, until it comes out the amplifier and to the ears. In that sense, the actual tone is separate from fingers, phrasing and rhythm.

Phrasing and the like are all tools, by which you can emulate sound. You can mimic perfectly Petrucci's phrasing and stuff, but that's a prerequisite. Basically, these are before tone, not actually having to do with the tone itself.

An example would be when you say, "It's between X and Y". Well, I would say that fingers and phrasing and rhythm would all be A-X. But the tone is what is between X and Y. So yes, all that is 90% of performing, but not 90% of tone itself.

Right now I can get similar to John's tone on Animate Inanimate, but that's because on that song, his tone is incredibly thin, because he layers and slides and such on it. I don't have the compression, nor high distortion gear he uses on anything else. To get a little, try using some DiMarzio pickups (liquifire and Crunch lab) and then putting a 7millisecond delay on your guitar after the distortion effects. It supposedly makes the guitar sound a little bigger.
Kanthras
Boogerman
905 IQ
Quote by Luppi
90% Fingers n 10% Gear

If Petrucci plugged his guitar into my butthole, would he sound 90% like him?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
stykerwolf
footdive!
1,092 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis

To the threadstarter: Good luck. A Road King or a Mark IV would be your best bet, depending on which album's tone you want.

uuum yeaaaah, try nailing jimmy page's tone with a gibby and plexi, you will get close, but never nail it completely. same goes for everyones finger tone, you won't get the brown sound exactly even with a variced plexi and PAF pickups on a custom built fender body guitar.

Gear and finger have no tonal ratio, it's dynamic and changes all the time
nutinpwnsgibson
1,125 IQ
Quote by FarazRahman
I would define "Tone" as the way in which the sounds that come from the guitar come through different gear, until it comes out the amplifier and to the ears. In that sense, the actual tone is separate from fingers, phrasing and rhythm.

Phrasing and the like are all tools, by which you can emulate sound. You can mimic perfectly Petrucci's phrasing and stuff, but that's a prerequisite. Basically, these are before tone, not actually having to do with the tone itself.

An example would be when you say, "It's between X and Y". Well, I would say that fingers and phrasing and rhythm would all be A-X. But the tone is what is between X and Y. So yes, all that is 90% of performing, but not 90% of tone itself.

Right now I can get similar to John's tone on Animate Inanimate, but that's because on that song, his tone is incredibly thin, because he layers and slides and such on it. I don't have the compression, nor high distortion gear he uses on anything else. To get a little, try using some DiMarzio pickups (liquifire and Crunch lab) and then putting a 7millisecond delay on your guitar after the distortion effects. It supposedly makes the guitar sound a little bigger.

this thread is over two years old
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
XxLloydxX
UG's Pro Guitarrist
1,558 IQ
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

this thread is over two years old

HHow did he find it anyway? xD

Have to thank him for reviving it
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S