Ok, so I finally got my new Bugera 6262 212 today. Worked just fine at home, but it's too damn loud so I went to where we usually have band practice to try it out. Tried out the clean channel for like 15 minutes with no problems, and advanced onto the crunch channel.

I noticed that with (not that high, more like half) high gain, when I had my pickup volume at 10, I got this high pitched sound. I thought it was maybe feedback, but it didn't grow like feedback - with volume at 10 (pickup volume, amp volume was nowhere near full) it was there, with like 8 it wasn't. Anyway, was testing it out for a bit, and then I start hearing this humming noise. Was checking if it came from the amp, and when I noticed that it did, I put it on standby. Then I heard this "pop" from the amp, and the power faded out.

Now the amp won't turn on at all. There's a fuse, but I'm not too sure how to check it to see if it has blown. But could the cause be a bad tube? I'm gonna email Thomann.de to ask what I should do (send the amp to them or what), but I'm still asking here. I guess I'll just send the amp to them and they'll fix it/send a new one or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Sorry to double post, but I have some new information.

So I took the back off the amp (just uncovers the speakers and the powertubes really, nothing else). At least I think the four big tubes are the powertubes. But anyway, they all (I think) have a black smudge at the end, so does that mean that they have "blown" and should be replaced?
Quote by Lunchbox362
no, the black smudge at the tip is the "getter", that's normal. Usually white indicates it's been burned. A bad tube could still have caused the fuse to blow however, but it might be hard to tell by looking at it.

I would just send it back though honestly. Something caused the fuse to go, and even if it's just a tube that blew, that can sometimes take out grid resistors and other parts inside. Shouldn't have to mess with a brand new amp that way, sucks, but I would just send it back and get a new one man. They pay for return shipping usually right?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by Erock503
no, the black smudge at the tip is the "getter", that's normal. Usually white indicates it's been burned. A bad tube could still have caused the fuse to blow however, but it might be hard to tell by looking at it.

I would just send it back though honestly. Something caused the fuse to go, and even if it's just a tube that blew, that can sometimes take out grid resistors and other parts inside. Shouldn't have to mess with a brand new amp that way, sucks, but I would just send it back and get a new man.

Oh well. Thanks for the help. I've emailed Thomann.de and am just waiting for an answer on what to do.

On a sidenote, that high pitched squeling? I've met feedback usually with mics, and that didn't really sound like the same, it was more constant and not controllable. Is it something like microphonics or?
Quote by Lunchbox362
yep, that's what it sounds like. Could be anything though. Did you smell anything, smoke, flash, etc? I mean, if you were planning on changing the tubes anyway, I might give tubes and a fuse a shot. It could easily just be a tube that shorted. I don't know if you want to spend money already though, when you can just send it back, as long as they're paying.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yep, that's what it sounds like. Could be anything though. Did you smell anything, smoke, flash, etc? I mean, if you were planning on changing the tubes anyway, I might give tubes and a fuse a shot. It could easily just be a tube that shorted. I don't know if you want to spend money already though, when you can just send it back, as long as they're paying.

Yeah, I don't really want to spend any more money, it's already pretty expensive for me. The fuse (I believe) is in a holding compartment that pops out when you push and twist it a little - it's a small cylinder with metal at the ends and something (ceramic?) white at the middle - it's whole tho and everything, so maybe it didn't burn at all?

And no, I didn't smell anything, and there was no smoke, didn't notice a flash either. Only that popping sound (and I think the amp might have already been in standby when that happened, not sure).
Quote by Lunchbox362
I'm not sure on the Bugera, but some amps have an HT fuse, and a mains fuse. Might want to make sure you are looking at the mains fuse.

As for the fuse itself, the 2 metal ends are the pieces that connect to each side of the circuit and conduct current. The center piece is usually a thin wire, or something that conducts and will melt, so that it will melt if too much current starts flowing through it. This protects the circuit from getting fried if something shorts and draws too much current. Does the piece in the middle of the fuse connect the whole distance between the 2 metal caps?
amp clips
amp vids
Well, I can't see inside it. But it seems like it's paper or something, maybe something ceramic, kinda hard to say. Maybe it would have burned (or at least have burnmarks in it) if it had burned? Any ideas where the other fuse might be? I'm not gonna open the chassis tho.

Oh, and I just noticed the impedance switch is set to 16 ohms (it says "default" on 8 ohms). Does that matter since it's using the speakers it came with (2x 8 ohm), does the switch only matter with an external cabinet or something?
Quote by Lunchbox362
Yeah, the switch is usually just for the external cabs you want to plug it into. I think your fuse has just blown, but to be on the safe side, go and get a brand new replacement.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Ok, I found out that there are indeed 2 fuses. I still don't know where the other one is. But the one I can access (it's smaller than the other one) is fried, we tested it with a meter. I'm planning to go and get a replacement one to see if that helps, although I think I'll still want that new one too.

Also, in case the impedance switch indeed effects the speakers it came with too - there's 2 speakers, both at 8 ohm, so should I set the impedance switch to 8 (it says default) or 4? I'm guessing 4, but could they be wired in parallel? There's only one cable coming from them btw.
Quote by Lunchbox362